Wedding Woes
Options

It's Thursday!!

Dear Prudence,
I am an educational administrator. I have had a great deal of success in turning failing schools into high-performing ones. A few years ago, I took a job in a school district in a small town in a relatively remote part of the country. It was a chance to turn around several schools at once. The teachers and administrators were open to new ideas and are making great strides, but progress has been slow. My children (who are above average in their academic and social skills, but not abnormally so) are in the school system. I can see what their participation in the schools is doing to them, and it’s killing me. My daughter is creative and sensitive. She has gone from loving learning to hating it, and cries every morning when she has to go to school. My wife wants to home-school our children. I agree that this would probably be best, but it would create a political nightmare for me because it would demonstrate the schools aren’t good enough for our kids. Do I keep my kids in school, sacrificing their curiosity, creativity, and love of learning for the sake of preserving my ability to improve the educational experience for thousands of kids? Or do I do what’s right for my own children, no matter the professional consequences? Siding with my own children is obvious, but it would likely mean I’d have to quit this job.

—Stuck

Re: It's Thursday!!

• Options
    Why can't the mom supplement at home? Create opportunities after school for learning, etc.? Like this does not have to be an all or nothing.
  • Options
    Your own children always come first. I do fail to believe that there is not one school in the entire district he can send his child to.
  • Options
    PMeg819 said:
    Why can't the mom supplement at home? Create opportunities after school for learning, etc.? Like this does not have to be an all or nothing.
    Well that helps for their education, but if the child is crying because she doesn't want to go to school, helping them learn at home doesn't help make the negative experience during the school day any better.  There must be a way to make the child at least able to tolerate school, and then learn other things on the side at home.  I do not know how, though.  The majority of the child's day will be at a place that she hates - that's not good for her. 

• Options
    Your own children always come first. I do fail to believe that there is not one school in the entire district he can send his child to.
    I agree your kids come first, but I'm picturing BFE Ohio and believe there may not be any options. There were 3 high schools pretty much identical to each other.  I'd try to find a spin on home schooling or boarding school. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards