Chit Chat

I guess we're not getting holiday bonuses this year.

I've been here for over 6 years. Every year, we've received bonuses, even my first year when I started in August. And we've always gotten them before Christmas. 

The owners are now both gone on vacation with their families until 12/29. We weren't given bonuses. We get paid 12/26 and then not again until 1/9. They haven't said anything about bonuses to any of us senior mangers. And you know what? I'm fucking pissed off. I know how well the company is doing. We are way up from last year. If you don't want to give bonuses anymore, FINE. But just fucking tell us. We've also got employees that are expecting bonuses too. So if that's the case, I need to let my employees know. 

And I know this is super petty, but the owners didn't even say congrats after I came back from my honeymoon. We're a very small, tight-knit company. They know my husband very well, as he's done work here in our building for them. When our last head chef got married, they bought her a brand new laptop. And I got nothing. Not a card. Not a fucking word. I'm so angry. 

I guess it's possible they'll give out bonuses next month, but when people have always received them in December, I think it's a shitty thing to do.  

Re: I guess we're not getting holiday bonuses this year.

• I have nothing constructive to say but slap them silly with a fish.... or put a rotting fish under a floor board in their office and watch...
  • That's really shitty. Especially when they give bonuses at this time of year. We get our bonuses in March, and one year they did not hand out bonuses, but they gave us plenty of notice. Some people are probably counting on that year end bonus. I know that personally, for some reason, I tend to end the year really broke lol. Holidays, traveling, dinners, friends and family back in town, etc. If I had a bonus coming in at year end it would be SO appreciated. But to just be left in the dark like that?? Really shitty. I hope that maybe they worked it into your last check, or you all will get it soon and maybe it slipped their minds to tell you.

And it's pretty shitty that they did not acknowledge the fact that you got married.  I would be annoyed at that myself.
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• Not ok.  Just not ok!   When my company changed their bonus structure a few years ago - they let us know 6 months - 6 MONTHS in advance so we could prepare and were aware it wasn't going to be there when we typically got it.   It sucked yea, but we were forewarned and could prepare for it.  Granted getting bonuses is not guaranteed, but if you're not getting one then let your employees know!  Don't be a coward and hide behind an extended trip.

Dang - even on our bad year, when we even questioned whether we'd get bonuses or not our company gave us one, not what we were used to but, we were happy to get anything at that point.   Simply going away and not telling your employees that they're not getting anything is a really quick way of losing a lot of good employees.
  • Oh! And when they reviewed me last month, I got an amazing review! They said more than once that they're extremely happy with my work. On a scale of 1 to 7 (why not 10? So weird), he said I'm a 6. So I know it can be performance related! 
  • They should let you know in advance that they're not receiving one, but bonuses shouldn't be counted on -- that's what they are. Bonuses. Unless you have a company policy regarding them, they shouldn't be expected. 

• That does suck and I'd be pissed too.   I'm never a fan of when ownership isn't forthright with their employees.  
  • LakeR2014 said:
    Not ok.  Just not ok!   When my company changed their bonus structure a few years ago - they let us know 6 months - 6 MONTHS in advance so we could prepare and were aware it wasn't going to be there when we typically got it.   It sucked yea, but we were forewarned and could prepare for it.  Granted getting bonuses is not guaranteed, but if you're not getting one then let your employees know!  Don't be a coward and hide behind an extended trip.

Dang - even on our bad year, when we even questioned whether we'd get bonuses or not our company gave us one, not what we were used to but, we were happy to get anything at that point.   Simply going away and not telling your employees that they're not getting anything is a really quick way of losing a lot of good employees.
    Exactly. Like seriously, enjoy your fucking fruity drink at your resort in Costa Rica. I'll be here trying to keep my employees happy after you screwed them all! 
  • That sucks.

If it makes you feel any better, I came in this morning and one of my mattresses had shit on it. Actual shit.

I will cut the next bitch I see changing a diaper on one of my beds.

Anniversary
  • chibiyui said:
    That sucks. If it makes you feel any better, I came in this morning and one of my mattresses had shit on it. Actual shit. I will cut the next bitch I see changing a diaper on one of my beds.
    Ick! That's awful!
  • chibiyui said:
    That sucks. If it makes you feel any better, I came in this morning and one of my mattresses had shit on it. Actual shit. I will cut the next bitch I see changing a diaper on one of my beds.
    Ick! That's awful!
    EWW!   
  • lolo883 said: image I suggest putting this movie on in the background while you're working. So that they know.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Yes. a bonus is just that. But when you've done it for literally years and years, people come to expect it. To all of a sudden not do the bonuses and not tell anyone and leave the fucking country, it's shitty. These aren't struggling business owners. The owners are brothers that are trust fund babies. They have millions upon millions of dollars are their disposal. 
  • scribe95 said:
    Do you know for sure they won't be included in the 12/26 paycheck? My husband just got one. It wasn't announced. Just his paycheck was larger and there was a reference to bonus. Some years he gets one; some years not. 

I don't particularly think the owners owe an explanation.

Also, this is totally reminding me of Clark Griswold expecting the bonus in Christmas vacation. 
    Yup, I know for sure it's not in the 12/26 paycheck. I talked to the Controller. 
  • sorry OP! I was expecting a bonus this year as well for meeting goal. Turns out we had to meet and exceed goal to get a bonus. oh well excuuuuse me.

I'd be angry if I were you too. Definitely seconding the vote to re-watch Christmas Vacation. :) Chin up, happy holidays!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• My DH was on a bonus structure.    It was up to 40% of his salary.  Then they set unrealistic goals.   The best he got was like 15%.

Unrealistic goal like 10% of  his bonus was based on him having a score a 95 on an inspection.  He scored a 93.  7 points were deducted for broken equipment. .   Broken equipment are to be fixed by engineering.  Corporate  would not approve the new equipment.  So because corp would not approve the new equipment, engineering could not fix the old equipment.   DH can never get to the inspection goal because there would always be a 7 point deduction as long as the equipment wasn't fixed .  Totally BS, he is being docked for something 100% out of his control.

Stuff like that happened every year.   I gave up on bonuses.  If we get them great, but I never expect them.

I know it sucks, especially when you always get one.   Maybe send them a copy of Christmas Vacation to remind them how shitty they are being?

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • lyndausvi said:
    My DH was on a bonus structure.    It was up to 40% of his salary.  Then they set unrealistic goals.   The best he got was like 15%.

Unrealistic goal like 10% of  his bonus was based on him having a score a 95 on an inspection.  He scored a 93.  7 points were deducted for broken equipment. .   Broken equipment are to be fixed by engineering.  Corporate  would not approve the new equipment.  So because corp would not approve the new equipment, engineering could not fix the old equipment.   DH can never get to the inspection goal because there would always be a 7 point deduction as long as the equipment wasn't fixed .  Totally BS, he is being docked for something 100% out of his control.

Stuff like that happened every year.   I gave up on bonuses.  If we get them great, but I never expect them.

I know it sucks, especially when you always get one.   Maybe send them a copy of Christmas Vacation to remind them how shitty they are being?
    That sucks about your H. I had a former company do something very similar to me and co-workers. They set completely unrealistic goals, and penalized me when a product I ordered was discontinued by the supplier. 
  • Ugh I'm sorry. I was expecting a bonus and didn't get one either and I was raging pretty much all day. It's a total motivation killer, and a huge let-down. So I feel your pain. Wine and hugs from me! (Cheap wine. Cuz we didn't get a fucking bonus.) 
  • lyndausvi said:
    My DH was on a bonus structure.    It was up to 40% of his salary.  Then they set unrealistic goals.   The best he got was like 15%.

That sucks about your H. I had a former company do something very similar to me and co-workers. They set completely unrealistic goals, and penalized me when a product I ordered was discontinued by the supplier. 
    The club is awesome though.They do have a bonus structure, but it's seems little more obtainable.   He didn't hit one goal, but kick butt in 5 others.   We will see, but it's looking good.

DH is never going to back to large hotels/resorts.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • steph861steph861 member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2014
    I've been here for over 6 years. Every year, we've received bonuses, even my first year when I started in August. And we've always gotten them before Christmas. 

The owners are now both gone on vacation with their families until 12/29. We weren't given bonuses. We get paid 12/26 and then not again until 1/9. They haven't said anything about bonuses to any of us senior mangers. And you know what? I'm fucking pissed off. I know how well the company is doing. We are way up from last year. If you don't want to give bonuses anymore, FINE. But just fucking tell us. We've also got employees that are expecting bonuses too. So if that's the case, I need to let my employees know. 

And I know this is super petty, but the owners didn't even say congrats after I came back from my honeymoon. We're a very small, tight-knit company. They know my husband very well, as he's done work here in our building for them. When our last head chef got married, they bought her a brand new laptop. And I got nothing. Not a card. Not a fucking word. I'm so angry. 

I guess it's possible they'll give out bonuses next month, but when people have always received them in December, I think it's a shitty thing to do.  
    Ugh, that's so crappy. When they've made a habit out of it, people come to depend on that money for Christmas spending. 

To the bolded, my office was the same way. Very small group, absolutely no acknowledgement. We celebrate pretty much everything. I was hurt. A co-worker just got engaged, so I'm interested/scared to see if they do anything for her.

I mean, they congratulated me, but there was no card or anything. Given how much emphasis they put on celebrating other things, I was expecting a card.

• You said you get to take all the cheesecakes you want for holiday dinners, right? Clean em out! Cheesecake for everyone!
    You're right! I'm loading up my trunk! 
  • steph861 said:

Ugh, that's so crappy. When they've made a habit out of it, people come to depend on that money for Christmas spending. 

To the bolded, my office was the same way. Very small group, absolutely no acknowledgement. We celebrate pretty much everything. I was hurt. A co-worker just got engaged, so I'm interested/scared to see if they do anything for her.

I mean, they congratulated me, but there was no card or anything. Given how much emphasis they put on celebrating other things, I was expecting a card.
    I always was the one to throw showers and things like that for people. I sent flowers when someone had a loved one that died. I sent food for a co-worker who's wife had surgery. And then nothing for me. It really hurt my feelings. And this is just another punch to the gut. 
  • steph861 said:

I always was the one to throw showers and things like that for people. I sent flowers when someone had a loved one that died. I sent food for a co-worker who's wife had surgery. And then nothing for me. It really hurt my feelings. And this is just another punch to the gut. 
    :(

That's shitty that they wouldn't return the favour. I guess everybody takes it for granted that you'll take care of that stuff, so they don't even think about it when you're the one to be celebrated. Ugh.

• I have my arms crossed and pouty face on for you.

Can I vent too? My washer and dryer is scheduled for delivery next week. They called me TODAY and said they've discontinued them AND accidentally sold all of them and there are none to deliver to me!!

image   image   image

• I have my arms crossed and pouty face on for you. Can I vent too? My washer and dryer is scheduled for delivery next week. They called me TODAY and said they've discontinued them AND accidentally sold all of them and there are none to deliver to me!!
    What crap!   I'd take it up the food chain that I want the next model up for what I paid.    Ugh.   I may be doing laundry every day.   I'd be a crazy lady if I didn't have my washer and dryer! 
  • banana468 said:
    I have my arms crossed and pouty face on for you. Can I vent too? My washer and dryer is scheduled for delivery next week. They called me TODAY and said they've discontinued them AND accidentally sold all of them and there are none to deliver to me!!
    What crap!   I'd take it up the food chain that I want the next model up for what I paid.    Ugh.   I may be doing laundry every day.   I'd be a crazy lady if I didn't have my washer and dryer! 
    Ditto this!! What nonsense. 

• banana468 said:

I have my arms crossed and pouty face on for you.

Can I vent too? My washer and dryer is scheduled for delivery next week. They called me TODAY and said they've discontinued them AND accidentally sold all of them and there are none to deliver to me!!

Ditto this!! What nonsense. 

So we asked for the next closest model, but they said we could pay the difference because we paid a fabulous sale price and they won't sell others for that price.

They're trying to give us the store model, with no discount. But we already paid for it. My husband is angry because he doesn't want a floor model without a discount and free extended warranty.

Many phone calls are being made lol

image   image   image

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards