Oregon
Options

DIY Wedding

So I have OCD and have to plan everything! I'm making all my invites, save the dates, ect. Growing my own flowers, found a dress for $148 that my mom will be altering, and found the venue on the willamette queen that's eating up most of our budget.  (Small wedding, small budget, big honey moon teehee) 

And not to mention I'll have our 2mo old when we have our wedding (yes I did it backwards) I'm just stressing I guess and ran out of things to do? My wedding is not for another 7months.  Any helpful advice and hints on anything is greatly appreciated.  I'm just at a loss.
"It's not about the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away" Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: DIY Wedding

• Options
    edited December 2011
    My advice:

-Figure out what's important to you and skip the rest. 
    -Enlist the help of friends on labor intensive projects (wine helps)
    -Get things done early (especially with a bebeh on the way)
    -Sheet cakes taste just as good as a tiered wedding cake and cost way less
    -an iPod will play the same music as a DJ and cost way less
    -a good photographer is worth every penny you pay them
    -Realize that sometimes it's worth it to spend the money to save yourself the stress
    -Breathe
  • Options
    Megz63426Megz63426 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    thanks mayfly.
    Cake is ordered.
    have alist to burn to CD
    got an expeirenced budget photographer.
    I just ran out of things to do and freaking out I guess...It must be these hormones!
    "It's not about the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away" Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I've DIY'd most of my wedding...

My advice would be to make LOTS of lists... Prioritize... and get things done as early as possible.  Even if you change your mind, you'll at least have back ups.

Be prepared to surrender your house to your projects. 

Also, Be prepared for people to say they will help you and then flake out.  I've had little to no help on any of my projects and have had TONS of people offer to help.  You can still do it... but this is a good reason to just get things done early, push them to the side, mark them off the list.

You can do it!! Takes lots of deep breaths too. lol
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm with Kizat! I've been lucky though - everyone who has offered to help actually HAS and done a great job. It's just a matter of keeping track of your lists and staying on top of it. Or you can do it like me - freak out with 17 days to go and start crafting like a crazy lady!!Wink
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Lol nice!  I have two note books, one messy one and a neat one. lol then I have the knott on here. I work well under pressure.. but knowing what I'm going to feel like at that time kind of scares me.. so I guess before the "due" date I'll have everything due lol
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    honestly, I've only kind of used the knot check list here as a guideline for certain things.. like dress and venue and invitations...

As for like.. having bouquets and centerpieces and decor and what not, I got that all done as soon as I possibly could.  (Side note - I'm not using flowers what so ever, so that made a good portion of my projects really easy to complete a while back).
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I actually found this awesome website about preserving flowers.  So when the first blooms come in I'll do thoes for the bouts, and what not.  I'm just coming up with ideas for how to make a vase light up with flowers in water... :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_oregon_diy-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:119Discussion:c885e867-4e60-49f5-9bda-bca02dfab085Post:7368584f-7f32-4267-b308-a2e5026667f2">Re: DIY Wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]I actually found this awesome website about preserving flowers.  So when the first blooms come in I'll do thoes for the bouts, and what not.  I'm just coming up with ideas for how to make a vase light up with flowers in water... :)
    Posted by Megz63426[/QUOTE]

They make really awesome led lights that you can put in the bottom of a vase with water... they come in all sorts of colors too...

You can find them for a decent price here:

<a href="http://www.save-on-crafts.com/floralytes4.html" target="_blank">http://www.save-on-crafts.com/floralytes4.html</a>

Also, one of the things that I used to help with a lot of my inspiration, was to look at DIY projects that weren't wedding related.  It was easy to find something I liked, and then twisted it so it was mine and also "weddingy".
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards