Chit Chat

Christmas List - Then vs Now

2»

Re: Christmas List - Then vs Now

• So I remember asking for an Easy Bake, and getting it, and being wholeheartedly disappointed in the end result.

This year, I similarly got things for sweets - mini muffin tin, cookie cutters, and pastry tips. The good news is that the end result was not only edible, but fantastic. If I do say so myself. :D

(I also got books. I swear I've got books every year since I learned to read.)

A few years back I did ask for a replacement car bumper. I really, truly cannot think of anything more annoyingly, disappointingly practical, and yet I was so damn excited for it Christmas morning.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • maeday2 said:

beethery said:
    AddieCake said:
    Last week I saw a thing about toys from childhood, and I legit want Fashion Plates all over again. 
    I had a barbie fashion plate thing that I was OBSESSED WITH. One of my friends stole it and my dad got me some kind of Barbie fashion/coloring program. Basically you kitted Barbie out with everything. Hair, hair accessories, jewelry, clothes, shoes, all of it. Then you picked a background and colored it in with a fill tool like on MSPaint. I spent HOURS doing that, and then printing it out on our dot matrix printer and coloring it in with markers.
    I had this! I can still visualize the polka dot and floral patterns that were my favorites and subsequently on every damn piece of clothing I made. The actual product never up to snuff though. I just suck at being a fashion designer. 
    Are you guys talking about the Barbie Magic Hair-Styler? Cuz I had that for our computer and I was OBSESSED with it. I would probably still play it if it were compatible with anything newer than Windows '93  
    Nope. This one was a whole outfit thing.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• beethery said:
    maeday2 said:

beethery said:
    AddieCake said:
    Last week I saw a thing about toys from childhood, and I legit want Fashion Plates all over again. 
    I had a barbie fashion plate thing that I was OBSESSED WITH. One of my friends stole it and my dad got me some kind of Barbie fashion/coloring program. Basically you kitted Barbie out with everything. Hair, hair accessories, jewelry, clothes, shoes, all of it. Then you picked a background and colored it in with a fill tool like on MSPaint. I spent HOURS doing that, and then printing it out on our dot matrix printer and coloring it in with markers.
    I had this! I can still visualize the polka dot and floral patterns that were my favorites and subsequently on every damn piece of clothing I made. The actual product never up to snuff though. I just suck at being a fashion designer. 
    Are you guys talking about the Barbie Magic Hair-Styler? Cuz I had that for our computer and I was OBSESSED with it. I would probably still play it if it were compatible with anything newer than Windows '93  
    So was the Barbie Magic Hair-Styler. You did her hair, you could color it, put streaks in it, whatever, then picked her accessories and stuff, then her outfit and shoes, and a backdrop, and you could "take photos" (it would save a screenshot of whatever you made) and I'm pretty sure you could use something like MS Paint to color her outfits in different colors. 
  • So I remember asking for an Easy Bake, and getting it, and being wholeheartedly disappointed in the end result.

This year, I similarly got things for sweets - mini muffin tin, cookie cutters, and pastry tips. The good news is that the end result was not only edible, but fantastic. If I do say so myself. :D

A few years back I did ask for a replacement car bumper. I really, truly cannot think of anything more annoyingly, disappointingly practical, and yet I was so damn excited for it Christmas morning.
    I always wanted an Easy Bake Oven when I was little, and I never got one. When I was 15, I told my mom I wanted an Easy Bake Oven for Christmas. I didn't think she would really get me one, but she did! I was pleasantly surprised by the taste of the goods, but my expectations were zero, so take that for what it's worth.
  • speaking of easy bake ovens. the new ones are totally futuristic looking! and the accessories are ridiculous. the baking pans cost almost as much as real ones!!
  • My brother and I would shit ourselves with excitement when the Toys R Us catalog showed up. We would go through and circle all the things we wanted. Nintendo games, a bike, Barbie stuff. I always wanted a Lite Brite and I never got one.

This year I asked for a new tea pot and measuring spoons.
  • kat1114 said:
    So I remember asking for an Easy Bake, and getting it, and being wholeheartedly disappointed in the end result.

I always wanted an Easy Bake Oven when I was little, and I never got one. When I was 15, I told my mom I wanted an Easy Bake Oven for Christmas. I didn't think she would really get me one, but she did! I was pleasantly surprised by the taste of the goods, but my expectations were zero, so take that for what it's worth.
    See, I was tricked by the commercials. Everything looked fantastic, and I was six, and it was just exciting. I think if I'd gotten it at an older, wiser, more cynical age, I wouldn't have had my poor kiddo heart broken.
  • As a child, I usually asked for books.  I still like them.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg

• beethery said:

maeday2 said:

beethery said:

AddieCake said:

So was the Barbie Magic Hair-Styler. You did her hair, you could color it, put streaks in it, whatever, then picked her accessories and stuff, then her outfit and shoes, and a backdrop, and you could "take photos" (it would save a screenshot of whatever you made) and I'm pretty sure you could use something like MS Paint to color her outfits in different colors. 

Was this the one where you could design the clothes and then print them out on fabric paper?

• beetherybeethery member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2014
    steph861 said:
    beethery said:
    maeday2 said:

beethery said:
    AddieCake said:
    Was this the one where you could design the clothes and then print them out on fabric paper?
    Nope but I had that one too. I think I used it once because my dad would go all Gollum about color ink. I eventually just drew on the fabric with markers.

The version I was talking about before pre-dated the fabric one by probably 3-4 years if I remember right.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• I legitimately wanted a pony one year.  I would also have accepted 300 shitty finger puppets from the Oriental Trading Company.

My mom asked me what I wanted for Christmas this year.  I told her if she wanted to buy me tampons and socks from Costco I'd be happy.  This is what my life has come to.  lol.  

• I'm an only child and always had a list ten miles long and got all of it because my birthday is Christmas Eve and my parents felt bad for me or something. Spoiled brat doesn't begin to cover it.

Now, I'm kind of over stuff, honestly. We have everything we need and I don't put much value on material items any more, I guess. My parents mostly give me cash but I don't really have a wish list.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I never had a Christmas list as a kid. Still don't as an adult either.

There were several family Christmas gatherings at which my brother and I would be forgotten in the whole gift department. Like the other cousins got a dozen or more presents and we didn't have one.

Once I got a gift that i watched my uncle steal from under the tree, cross out another child's name, and scribble my name on.

Christmas has pretty much always been shitty.
  • I remember the one year I wanted the "hot new toy," and my mom got it for me, and then said "never again."
    http://youtu.be/z-8bbVoc_Bs
    Christmas Day, I got the thing, and then it like, peed on my grandpa and then I fucking hated that stupid baby.
    So mostly I just wanted Breyer horses. That's right, when all of you guys were looking at the toysrus catalogue, I was checking out the key pages of Jeffers.
    Anyways, now I really can't think of anything I want for Christmas, because all of my "wants" right now are not exactly Christmas givings (new carpet, paint, a couch, etc). My family hasn't really gotten each other gifts after I turned 14- my parents would get me one nice thing, sometimes as a combo birthday/Christmas (I got a kindle a couple years ago), and they would get each other something small and sweet, and when I turned 21 I started buying my mom a bottle of wine for Christmas. It's actually really stressful now because I have in laws which means 4 new people and a baby that don't follow the "Christmas is crappy and consumerist, but here's a bottle of wine because I love you" philosophy.
  • lovedryn said:
    I never had a Christmas list as a kid. Still don't as an adult either. There were several family Christmas gatherings at which my brother and I would be forgotten in the whole gift department. Like the other cousins got a dozen or more presents and we didn't have one. Once I got a gift that i watched my uncle steal from under the tree, cross out another child's name, and scribble my name on. Christmas has pretty much always been shitty.

Yup.  This is why I always HATED going to my extended family Chistmas.  My mom usually brought one of our small Christmas gifts to the party (Christmas Eve) so that my brother and I had something to open.  Otherwise it was all our cousins getting a ton and us nothing and she felt bad.  Looking back, of the entire family we were the only ones that didn't live in town so everyone else was a lot closer but I still think it was kinda shitty, little kids just see that as Aunt A like everyone but me apparently. 
  • when i was younger it was barbie dolls and american girl dolls.

now i ask for vera bradley, purses, stuff for the house and socks. 
  • I grew up in an 4 story apartment building, my 2 cousins lived on the 3rd floor and my other cousin lived on the 2nd floor, they were boys so I usually wanted whatever they wanted so we could all play together. I distinctly remember wanting a laser tag set that all the boys got but I didn't but other than that I pretty much got everything I asked for, easy bake ovens, Barbie, PlayStation and Gameboys. Lots of time spent hovering over the Toys R Us big Xmas circular and KB toys too! Good times.

Now I usually ask for things for the house if people ask me what I want but I also love receiving clothes, shoes, makeup and all those wonderful goodies.  

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited December 2014
    l9i said:

lovedryn said:
    I never had a Christmas list as a kid. Still don't as an adult either. There were several family Christmas gatherings at which my brother and I would be forgotten in the whole gift department. Like the other cousins got a dozen or more presents and we didn't have one. Once I got a gift that i watched my uncle steal from under the tree, cross out another child's name, and scribble my name on. Christmas has pretty much always been shitty.

Yup.  This is why I always HATED going to my extended family Chistmas.  My mom usually brought one of our small Christmas gifts to the party (Christmas Eve) so that my brother and I had something to open.  Otherwise it was all our cousins getting a ton and us nothing and she felt bad.  Looking back, of the entire family we were the only ones that didn't live in town so everyone else was a lot closer but I still think it was kinda shitty, little kids just see that as Aunt A like everyone but me apparently. 
    BOXES! A FIE AND A POX ON YOU! ________

These two make me so so sad. It WAS shitty. It was SUPER shitty. I know Christmas isn't about gifts, but frankly - to me, more than anything, Christmas is about family, and if my siblings/parents/inlaws couldn't be bothered to think of my kids long enough to pick up a damn $3.00 Barbie or Hot Wheels or something to put under their tree for them, especially if there were piles and piles for other kids, I wouldn't be spending my Christmases there. I'd spend them at home with my kids. I might hold back something for them to open Christmas night, or we'd make cookies, or watch a new movie, or something. Damn.

I hope neither of you associate with those "families" any more. *hugs*
  • l9i said:
    lovedryn said:

These two make me so so sad. It WAS shitty. It was SUPER shitty. I know Christmas isn't about gifts, but frankly - to me, more than anything, Christmas is about family, and if my siblings/parents/inlaws couldn't be bothered to think of my kids long enough to pick up a damn $3.00 Barbie or Hot Wheels or something to put under their tree for them, especially if there were piles and piles for other kids, I wouldn't be spending my Christmases there. I'd spend them at home with my kids. I might hold back something for them to open Christmas night, or we'd make cookies, or watch a new movie, or something. Damn.

---------------------SERIOUSLY BOXES??---------------------------------

My one aunt began not going to the whole family party (large family) and we began going to her house Christmas Eve instead.  Since a few others have joined in at my aunt's for Christmas.  It's smaller, but I feel like the family there is truly more 'family' than more other aunts, uncles, and cousins that didn't really seem to care.  My parents won't be going this year (H and I usually go with them) because they are out of town but my Aunt specifically called to tell me she hopes H and I still come.  I'll be there!
  • l9i said:
    l9i said:
    lovedryn said:

---------------------SERIOUSLY BOXES??---------------------------------

My one aunt began not going to the whole family party (large family) and we began going to her house Christmas Eve instead.  Since a few others have joined in at my aunt's for Christmas.  It's smaller, but I feel like the family there is truly more 'family' than more other aunts, uncles, and cousins that didn't really seem to care.  My parents won't be going this year (H and I usually go with them) because they are out of town but my Aunt specifically called to tell me she hopes H and I still come.  I'll be there!
    ___PREEMPTIVE BOX STRIKE___

YAY! I'm so glad! That sounds more like what a family get together ought to be.
  • My "Christmas list" hasn't changed a whole lot since I was a kid - I just now prefer the adult versions. 

Kid List - BonneBell make up
    Grown Up List - Naked 3

Kid List - easy bake oven
    Grown Up List - panini grill with interchangeable plates

Kid List - Clothes, CDs
    Grown Up List - gift cards to iTunes, Amazon and Banana Republic. 
  • I almost cried with joy when MIL and FIL gave us money to get our toilets replaced. Our toilets really suck.

But I was a pretty weird kid... I only ever wanted books and clothes. So this isn't really much of a change.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
  • dcbride86 said:

When I was little I wanted every accessory ever for my American Girl Doll (Samantha).  Now I'd like mostly money (I don't ask for it, but I'd like it), work clothes, and makeup because that stuff is expensive but necessary

had the American Gil Bitty Babies and I wanted all the things

Usually I ask for shower gels and/or a wallet/purse. I love when I get money/gift cards and jewelery!

• When I was a kid I wanted an Easy Bake Oven, clothes, and every accessory imaginable for my American Girl dolls (Samantha and Felicity).

Now I just want money. My parents are helping out with the wedding so I'm not asking them for anything. FI's parents knew I have wanted a Keurig for a while so they sent us the Keurig 2.0 a few weeks ago. Yesterday we got a fancy portable generator from them that I got oddly excited about.

My dad said he plans to give all of us kids money for Christmas since he doesn't know what I like these days. I told him that money always helps...I also MAY have dropped a hint about how I've always wanted to see Billy Joel in concert and he's playing in Atlanta in February.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards