Chit Chat
Options

Dear Prudence

I forget which thread holds the Dear Prudence stories, and this may be 2 years old, but it's just sooo good, I had to post it again.

The horror of it all.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 
Funny Awkward animated GIF

Re: Dear Prudence

• Options
    Does the child really sit and think "OH MAN SHE'S UNMARRIED AND PREGGO" or is the kid mostly curious about babies. Because I can bet my left leg the kid doesn't even think to ask many questions about the missing husband. 

I mean she's growing a baby.  What 6 year old gives a shit about the husband when she's is literally growing a baby in her belly. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    larrygaga said:
    Does the child really sit and think "OH MAN SHE'S UNMARRIED AND PREGGO" or is the kid mostly curious about babies. Because I can bet my left leg the kid doesn't even think to ask many questions about the missing husband. 

I mean she's growing a baby.  What 6 year old gives a shit about the husband when she's is literally growing a baby in her belly. 
    I think kids sadly do think things like that, but only because their asshat parents make comments to them about such things.

I worked at an after school program when I was in college. One day I said something about my mom being 39. One of the kids knew how old I was, did some math, then said, "So you're mom was 18 when she had you? Isn't that illegal?"

I told her it wasn't illegal to which she retorted, "Well, it's still bad. I know what that's called, but I'm not going to say."

Did a 10 year old really formulate that thought/idea on her own? No. But did her ignorant parents probably make some comment to her about how you'll go to hell if you're an unmarried teen mom? I'm guessing yes.
  • Options
    I feel bad because that mother is going to fuck her kid up something awful. 

Anniversary
  • Options
    larrygaga said:

Her students are 4th graders - they're a bit older than 6. But I think your point still stands. Most 4th graders wouldn't worry too much about a husband - they'd figure it out, sure, but it wouldn't trouble most kids. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Honestly, I couldn't even tell you if most of my teachers were married or not.  It just wasn't something I thought about as a kid.

• Options
    kat1114 said:
    larrygaga said:

I think kids sadly do think things like that, but only because their asshat parents make comments to them about such things.

I worked at an after school program when I was in college. One day I said something about my mom being 39. One of the kids knew how old I was, did some math, then said, "So you're mom was 18 when she had you? Isn't that illegal?"

I told her it wasn't illegal to which she retorted, "Well, it's still bad. I know what that's called, but I'm not going to say."

Did a 10 year old really formulate that thought/idea on her own? No. But did her ignorant parents probably make some comment to her about how you'll go to hell if you're an unmarried teen mom? I'm guessing yes.
    When my stepbrother was younger, he bragged to me that he knew where babies come from, then proceeded to tell me. One of the requirements was that the mom and dad be married first; if they weren't, then a child simply couldn't be conceived. My stepmother guiltily confirmed that she had told them this. I said, "But weren't you not married to their father?" She said, "Yes, but they don't know that."

They wouldn't have had any sort of opinion if it hadn't been important to her.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards