Oregon

Double wedding?

Not really a double wedding, but my mom wants to get married this year also - so cute!  It's her third so she's really laid back about it and happy to do it whenever to not take away from my wedding.
My grandparents are elderly and several states away, so traveling to Oregon twice in a year probably isn't an option for them. My mom asked how I would feel about her getting married either the weekend before or weekend after me so her family would only have to make one trip. My first thought is that would worth it to me to make sure my grandparents are at both our weddings, but I don't really know if it would turn into a lot of stress for everyone. Would it be OK to be out of town (a few hours from Portland) the weekend before my wedding or is there to much work to do in town?
My FI really wanted to leave on a honeymoon soon after the wedding though so the weekend after wouldn't make him happy.  I would imagine it would be easier to have my mom's wedding the weekend after though since her's will be smaller and casual.
Any advice from the already marrieds?

Re: Double wedding?

• DramaGeekDramaGeek member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hmmm.  Well, I think you're right that it's probably easiest to do hers after yours.  At the same time, if hers is first, then you can actually spend time with your OOT family that week before your wedding, whereas if hers is after and you go on your HM and then come back for her wedding, you don't get that luxury.

I think doing the two a week apart, with hers first, is totally doable, you'll just have to plan for it.  There is/can be a lot to do in the week before, but if you know you'll be occupied part of that time, you can plan around it, kwim?

The things that come to the top of my head that are usually week before items:
    Call anyone who hasn't RSVPd (could do this the week before your Mom's wedding)
    Make seating chart (can be done once you have all your RSVPs)
    Confirm with vendors/venue
    Final headcount to caterer
    Programs
    Final dress fitting
    Pick up Tux (usually Wed or Thurs for a Sat wedding)
    Potentially a B-party (this could be planned for earlier so it doesn't interfere, if you want)
    Grooming appts (nails, hair cut/color, wax, massage, etc)

Things that often get put to the last minute but don't need to be:
    Tips put in envelopes
    Vendor greeter designated (if you don't have a coordinator)
    Song lists for reception
    Must take photo list

Anyway, it's totally doable.  I was taking finals in Newberg the week before we got married in Portland.  I picked up family at the airport on Thurs night and then drove back to Newberg so I could take my last two finals Fri morning.  After that I moved out of my apartment, got my nails done, copied the programs, picked up my dress/veil, and went to our rehearsal/RD.  It was stressful, but doable.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks DramaGeek. I love planning ahead if you haven't noticed so I think I could  handle that with help.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards