Attire & Accessories Forum

Too many options... Help!

Hello ladies!

I am a June 2015 bride and I have been to 6-7 bridal shops in my area (Long Island, NY). I have tried on many dresses and I have a bit of a problem... I love them all! I can't seem to decide on which one. I definitely want a more mermaid/trumpet style dress. Every time I ask a friend or family member they all say "You look great!" Which doesn't actually help lol. Maybe I could get some insight on here? Has anyone else had this happen to them? When did you know it was "the one?"

Here are some pictures!

Re: Too many options... Help!

• I didn't really have a teary-eyed aha moment when I picked my dress. I tried on around 9 dresses before I decided for certain. The reaction that I got from the people who went with me and how I felt in the dress was what made me decide on it. It was the dress I felt the most beautiful in and it was the dress that made my FMIL gasp. Even then, I left the salon and got my mother's and my MOH's opinions  (their in a different state so they couldn't be with me for the appointment) before I came back the next day and bought it; and lucky I did because it was on sale the day I bought it vs the day I tried it on!

The most important thing is that you feel beautiful in the dress you pick. Once you find/choose "the one" then you need to stop looking.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Personally, I like the dress in the third picture as well as the dress in the fifth and sixth picture.  
  • like number 1 and four i think those work best with your figure the others for some reason i keep seeing parts of the fabric bunching up i am not sure if its becucase the sample is to big /small 
  • I like the 3rd and the 7th dress the best.  The 3rd dress is a pretty classic lace look that you can't go wrong with, while the 7th dress is a bit more unique (for lack of a better word).  I like the beading/embroidery as well as how that beading defines your waist without you having to add a belt.  I also like the shape of the neckline.

• I think the 7th one looks the best! 
  • Personally I like #5 best, but you look lovely in all of them. I got to a point where there were about five dresses that I really liked and could happily wear on my wedding day. So then I just took that set and put my mind to narrowing it down until I came up with the one dress that I liked the most. I think you need to do the same. Go by yourself or maybe with one other trusted person who will really *listen* to you and not try to fill your head with even more opinions. At the end of the day, you want to feel the most beautiful and comfortable you possibly can. So trust yourself and just narrow it down. Think about which neckline you feel is most flattering. Which lace detail suits your taste and feels best on your body. Which bottom detail is most beautiful in your eyes. Just take your time and do not feel shy about trying them on one after another over and over until you feel ready.
  • I like the 3rd and 7th dress the best.

• Love 5th but 7th is the best!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I like 1st and last.

I never had 'the moment'; I ended up choosing the dress I would have felt sad leaving behind.  That said, I did go home and sleep on it for a few nights, went back to the store, tried on a few more dresses and that helped seal the deal.

Anniversary
  • edited December 2014
    Thank you all for the advice! I kept on trying dress after dress and was waiting for a big "moment" to happen. I just needed to sit back and analyze everything. Sometimes the opinions and reactions of others can sway you from what you originally wanted! I think that's what kept happening to me. In the end all that matters is how comfortable I feel in the dress and that I feel great on my big day! :-)

Also, Any dress you see bunching up in the pictures is due to the wrong size. The samples were 12-14 and I am a 0-2!
  • I didn't have any big magical moment. Lots of people don't, so don't worry too much about not having it. Just choose what makes you feel beautiful and is in your budget!

• If you like them all, why not pick the least expensive one?

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I like #1 and the last one. But, I also agree with PP.  If you like them all, (and they are all pretty similar), why not choose the one that fits closest to your budget, or one you can save a boatload of money on.

And don't worry about not having a magical moment.  I think more brides don't have that, than do. Most people pick the dress they feel beautiful in, and fall within their budget.  But, they don't necessarily have that OMG OMG TEARS moment and it's possible to have that moment with more than one dress, especially when you are trying on very similar shapes/fabrics.
  • OP when you tried on these dresses did you by any chance try on some veils and headpieces/jewelry with them?  When I tried on the dress that ended up being the one, I didn't get that "this is my dress" feeling until my consultant put on this amazing wrap around, blinged out head band.  Sometimes adding accessories helps you to really visualize what the end product will look like and it may help you narrow down your choices.

• Of all the ones you posted, I like the last one a lot more than the others. It looks like a gorgeous dress! 

I agree with @amelisha though, if you honestly love all of them, just get the one that's the least expensive. And then put the extra money toward a veil (if doing) and accessories. Or use it to buy an awesome pair of shoes.
    *********************************************************************************

• OP when you tried on these dresses did you by any chance try on some veils and headpieces/jewelry with them?  When I tried on the dress that ended up being the one, I didn't get that "this is my dress" feeling until my consultant put on this amazing wrap around, blinged out head band.  Sometimes adding accessories helps you to really visualize what the end product will look like and it may help you narrow down your choices.
    Yeah for me it was the belt I was the most obsessed with, so I chose the dress that looked the best with it.

• Just to play devil's advocate a bit (and because it happened to me) - have you tried other styles? I was dead set on a slim fitting lace with a sleeve/strap and after trying on (and liking but not loving) too many of them to count I switched it up and found my dress!  Just a thought since you have a bit of time. :)
  • PS. ALL of those dresses look stunning on you so you can't go wrong!
  • I think 1st and last are gorgeous on you and flatter your figure most. also the bolded
    I like the 3rd and the 7th dress the best.  The 3rd dress is a pretty classic lace look that you can't go wrong with, while the 7th dress is a bit more unique (for lack of a better word).  I like the beading/embroidery as well as how that beading defines your waist without you having to add a belt.  I also like the shape of the neckline.

• Just to play devil's advocate a bit (and because it happened to me) - have you tried other styles? I was dead set on a slim fitting lace with a sleeve/strap and after trying on (and liking but not loving) too many of them to count I switched it up and found my dress!  Just a thought since you have a bit of time. :)

I agree. Is the mermaid silhouette the only shape you tried? I would at least try other shapes to rule them out.
  • I don't think asking for opinions here is a good idea. There is no consensus so you might just feel more doubt. But think about it this way: if you love all of the dresses, you can't go wrong. Pick one at random, or the one that's most comfortable, or the one that's cheapest. Either way you will look beautiful in a dress you love.

The wedding industry makes us feel like the heavens will open and we'll weep when we find "the one" dress, but I think that sort of feeling is rare. I picked my dress because it makes me feel like myself, but a bride. I love it, but I didn't get emotional when I tried it on. 
  • I must say, I am a bit jeolous that all those dresses look AMAZING how you!

I went to about 7-8 shops before I found my dress. I thaught i knew which one i wanted until i actually FOUND MINE. I didn't have the 'teary momment' everyone talks about. However, i knew because once i put it on, nothing compared to it. I am sure that you will KNOW when you find the one!

Good luck!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards