Wedding Woes

Yawn, stretch, morning

How were the holidays and the weekend?

I'm so over hosting people and making food and being "on."  In the last 3 weeks I've had 4 different events in our home plus a weekend at my parents, Christmas Eve with them, a day with friends, and a day with ILs.  We were incredibly spoiled this holiday.  I'm feeling overwhelmed with the STUFF, but I have a plan so it
will get better.  M2 got 4 of the exact same gifts from sMIL.  They were returned within an hour of them leaving.  I have 2 things I'm trying to sell online before schlepping to a store not really near here.  DH is off Friday and I've already said I'm spending time returning thing to the mall.  ALONE. 

FIL threw out a new idea for our addition and I need to get down to sketching and thinking in through.  When our front door is open it hides the half bath.  My laundry is in the space from the garage to the hall.  It's literally as wide as the washer and dryer and one person can pass through at a time. The suggestion is to make that one big laundry and coat closet by knocking out the wall between. Then we would add a half bath to the addition. I'm not sure how I feel about the half bath taking up a 4x5 footprint in the addition though.  But man having an easily accessible laundry, not having coats and shoes strewn about......

Re: Yawn, stretch, morning

• The holidays were exhausting. 

Monday: I sent DefConn to daycare and the kiddo and I shopped for DH and then baked all day and put together gift bags for DH's team.

Tuesday: My mom was home from TX.  I took the kids over to hang out and decorate cookies. SIL and my nieces came over for dinner and to spend the night. 

Wednesday: DH went shopping for me with SIL while I cleaned up and prepped for my family to come over.  Christmas eve was nice and low-key. 

Thursday: Christmas day sucked.  DH was mad that I wanted to run by my sister's house before we went to his parent's house, so he was a dick about it for several hours.  We got the IL's and opened gifts.  FIL was cooking/prepping since MIL had surgery on her hand on Monday.  FIL was all stressed out and pissy.  He didn't want help and got shitty with everyone.  At one point, he yelled at me.  I was so done at that point.  When my IL's left to take MIL's sister back to her group home, we cleaned up and got the hell out of there. 

Friday: DefConn got up a little before 8 and I sat on the couch until about 11am before I got up and did anything.  DefConn played with all of his new stuff and I let him get whatever snacks he wanted.  It was glorious.  We picked up the kiddo's friend for the weekend.  SIL and I went out to see a friend's band play.  We didn't get home until 2am...which I can't even remember the last time I was out until 2am. 

Saturday: DH took the kiddo and his friend to play paintball.  DefConn and I had another lazy morning.  We went out to dinner with all of the IL's for a 'last supper' of sorts since SIL and BIL moved to GA yesterday.  After dinner, I went to A's mom's house for a gathering.  Her brother and sister were in town for the hoildays and I hadn't see either of them in well over a year.  It was a really, really great night.  Her brother is in town for another week or so and will probably come out either NYE or on Friday to see the new house. 

Sunday: Just cleaning up and a shopping.  I have a cold, so I was feeling pretty yuck and didn't want to do crap. 

The kids had a great Christmas.  I got some decent stuff too.  I think DH is also happy.  

I'm looking forward to the new year. 
  • I forgot about my allergic reaction too.  Christmas morning we were drinking mimosas and having a grand time.  My neck was red like it normally is with alcohol.  It starts to feel like a hair is tickling me so I put it up.  By bedtime I was ready to claw my neck off.  I took two Benadryl and still woke up itching. 

Friday morning the doctor was closed and Urgent Care was packed before it even opened. I tried to tough it out.  Emailed a pic to my brother and the whole shebang.  Benadryl and cortisone cream weren't touching it.  When DH walked through the door at 4 I bolted to Urgent Care. 

The parking lot was empty!  There was one person in the waiting room.  The clerk said the wait was 2-3 hrs so they were letting people wait at home and they'd call them back.  Best thing ever.  The doctor walked in and asked what I was new.  NOTHING.  I have no idea what I was reacting to.

The pharmacist took one look at me and asked if they gave me a shot.  I looked terrible.  My whole face and neck were red and I had huge hives everywhere.  He gave me a big lecture about watching for signs of breathing distress and if my tongue swells get to the emergency room. 

He said they normally wouldn't recommend that heavy dose of steroid before bed, but I needed it.  So he said to take it right away and when I was ready for bed chase it with 2 Benadryl and a shot of whiskey.  I love that pharmacist. 

I'm blaming the cheap champagne.

• Ugh. DD1 started feeling crappy on Saturday and has been really bad since.  I think she was awake for 2 hours total yesterday.  I'm thankful that the dr office can get her in at 1:45 today but I'm also annoyed that they didn't turn off their after hours message until 8:14.

She was diagnosed with the flu on the 19th, started feeling better on the 21st, and was ok until Saturday.

I was supposed to head down to my hometown to pick up my mom and sister and then go to the bridal store so I can be fitted for my bridesmaid dress, but we're going to try for tomorrow or Wednesday now.
  • We had a low key holiday for the most part. It started shitty and improved drastically.

Wednesday started with a huge fight. I actually left work early (and we were already closing early) because I felt so lousy. We ended up fighting a lot, then making up, talking, and cleaning out/re-organizing PF's room. During the rest of the week we did the same to the rest of the apartment. All that's left is our bedroom.

Last night we had latke-fest with 2 other couples at our place. H spent the entire day cooking. It was incredible. We had latkes, ribs, baked chicken, falafel, risotto balls, donuts, and a dessert risotto (salted caramel - INCREDIBLE!)

I'm exhausted but for the most part content. The apartment is beautifully clean (hopefully we can keep it that way), I can do more focusing on PF's upcoming birthday party, and can relax just a little.
  • We had a great week. I was off all week, and the kids went to daycare on Monday. I saw a new psychiatrist and started a new med. It has been great- DH remarked on Wednesday that he felt like the old me was back. It's not a cure all so in January I'm hoping to get in with a therapist.

There was some IL dickery which I will make a separate post about.

We had Christmas with just us- no running around or seeing anyone else. I made an 8 lb prime rib and it was awesome, but we are now eating so much meat (well DH is). I'm ready to be back eating normal meals instead of snacking.

The kids had a great Christmas and were thoroughly spoiled. We still have to celebrate with my family and my sister and her fiance come to town this week for that. I'm ready for 2015. Bring it on!
  • I can't hardly remember the weekend. 

I remember---Wednesday I left at noon, went home---hung out with H.  Prepped for Christmas, finished wrapping gifts, had christmas with H.  It was lovely.  He was sweet and thoughtful and bought me an awesome bluetooth speaker that I really really really love.  And we had chili and enjoyed our night just hanging out.

Thursday---Got up at 6 am because I refused at some basic level to get up before that and get the Turkey ready.  It was still partially frozen after being in the fridge for 36+ hours, so I wrestled it into the roaster, at which point it barely closed, so I tented it with foil and let it cook.  By 9:30 H finally got out of bed, I had prepped and was ready to start the stuffing, and the brussel sprouts.  So we ran around and cleaned for about an hour, then people showed up around 11:15 and we had a full house.  I was stressed to the max because I was behind an hour, and people were guffawing and being too loud generally.  My family didn't care one bit, and H really loved having the "traditional Christmas" at our house.  Because later, we pretty much kicked people out and had to leave to visit H's family for Christmas at my BIL/SIL's house, which was awesome because I didn't do much at all.  It was glorious.  THE END (of christmas)

Friday-I unpacked about 15-20 boxes and set up the office, besides the computer---which I'll let H do.  And then that night I went and continued painting at the old house.  *sigh*  I hope that f*cker just burns down.  Not really, but sometimes I have the thought.

Saturday-9 hours of cleaning later, and some more painting.  Then H got finished at work, and we had dinner out...it was nice, but I was beat.

Sunday-Slept in until 9:30 because Saturday night one of the pups ate part of a treat tray (and H was freaking out---and I know since my dogs are larger they don't react as much) and we locked them in the bathroom to sleep and one dog was whining from 3am-6:30am.  So I lost that sleep and had to get some somewhere.  Made it over to the old house around noon, painted for about 2.5 hours, needed more paint.  Went back at 5--painted until 7.  Did I mention fire?

Today---beat.  Ready for a break, which is good because I'm having dinner with a friend tonight and not even THINKING about the house. 

I have some f*ckery from MIL that I'll share because I'm avoiding work...not that there is much to do.
  • It was a good Christmas, though getting the house back together has been a challenge.  DD got a lot of Legos, and I swear they migrate from room to room all on their own.  Hosted my mom Christmas Day, and it was nice.  Dinner turned out well.  I also did a surf and turn just for DH and the kids (and me!) on Christmas Eve that went really well.  DH took DD for daddy-daughter day on Friday and they had a great time.  DS fell asleep on me yesterday afternoon and we napped for like two hours, it was wonderful.   

Minor IL drama:  DH's (half-)brother (the one who left his wife for the much older woman, not the one who lied about his secret kid) is back with his first wife.  Y'all, I hope it works out, I really do.  But I'm not sure how optimistic I am.  I hope for their kids' sake this doesn't turn into a big on-again/off-again mess.  Apparently BIL cheated on ex-wife #1 with STB ex-wife #2 back when he and XW1 were still married, and XW1 still doesn't know.  XW2 has threatened to tell XW1.  No idea how this will turn out.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, my aunt and uncle just celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary.  :)   
  • Our holiday was low key.  I didn't leave the house all day Thursday and Friday.  Saturday went to my parents so DH could work on the car in their garage, Sunday went to a Kwanzaa dinner with friends.  I'm sitting on butt again since I have today off too.  I'll only work 1.5 days, then have another 4 day weekend.

This is going to make the January - May stretch of no days off SUCK.
  • *waves*
    6, I'll have to share the story of when I had my first major reaction and ran into a wall at some point.  It still cracks me up 20ish years later.

We did OK, all around.  didn't kill anyone :)  Actually, mostly people were pleasant and there was very little fuckery
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards