Chit Chat

last valentine's day as boyfriend/girlfriend...help me choose a gift!

Hey Everyone,  

I realize it is a bit early to be posting about Valentine's day, but with all the wedding plans I really want to choose something special now, order it, and have one less thing on my plate to worry about.

So I'm getting married in September 2015 and this will be my last Valentine's day with my fiancé before marriage and I really want to make it count. I have narrowed it done to 3 different ideas, all of them have symbolism and meaning. If you all could help me make one less decision that would be fantastic! 

Ok, so here it goes...

Meaning: So my very sweet Swedish fiancé is always asking me for the time, and contrary to Swedish stereotypes is always running late. While he can always check the time on his cell, I really like the simplicity and elegance of this design. And hey, maybe this would solve one of our tiff starters. 

2) The gift for US - http://vkm.is/happyweek

Meaning: Ok, so I found this and it looks adorable. It's a game for couples to play together that provides 40 surprise pre-planned dates. I really like this gift bc with our hectic schedules, and now with planning a wedding...I feel like we really haven't had much "us time" and I really miss us just having fun together!

Meaning: Ok, like I have said my soon to be hubby is Swedish and they are BIG into "fika" which is like tea time/coffee break. However, my fiancé is a tea connoisseur, so I thought this would be a really nice addition for our home (although I'm more into coffee than tea). Also, we are seriously considering to travel to Asia for our honeymoon, so this could be a sweet precursor to our trip.

-------

We both are quite creative and really like the idea of supporting start ups so thats why all these come from kickstarted or similar. I like them all! Not sure what to do... BTW, needless to say I'm trying not to spend a small fortune, so buying all three is not possible.

HELP, PLEASE! I feel like I can't make any more decisions. Thanks so much and I wish you all stress-free wedding planning (if that's even possible)! ;)

The girl who is tired of making decisions - Chloe 

Re: last valentine's day as boyfriend/girlfriend...help me choose a gift!

• larrygagalarrygaga member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2014
    Your valentines day gift to me would be to change your username to edit out personal information such as your name. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I'm probably not much help. We don't do much for vday. 

Last year I made FI a homemade card in MS Paint of two stick figures getting it on. We're really romantic. I think we went out for dinner? 

I'd choose the tea. It's consumable. When in doubt, I like food and drinks best. 
  • Meh I don't celebrate Valentine's Day.  I don't need a day to tell my FI I love him or a special time for gifts, especially one fabricated by hallmark (yep, I'm one of those.)  Besides, when you put so much into one day because other people tell you to, inevitably someone ends up disappointed.  

that all being said, go for the tea if you feel the need to do a gift.  

• I'm witb@addiecake like are you going all out for Easter? Fourth of July? 

It's kind of weird you're embracing the "last" valentines day before being married as if future valentines days won't be special.

I would argue to save amazing gifts for your first year married.
  • AddieCake said:
    I vote for the game b/c of the romance factor, but I don't get why you feel you need to make this Valentine's Day especially count since it is your last as a dating couple. It's not like your last night alone before you have a baby. Valentine's Day married is pretty much gonna be the same as Valentine's Day engaged or dating. All those gifts would be nice any time.
    This. 
  • DH and I don't celebrate Valentine's Day at all. I think we exchanged some silly cards one year while we were still dating but that's it. I think any one of those gifts would be nice for any sort of special occasion and I agree with what others have said about making such a big deal about your "last" Valentine's Day. With that said, I'd go for either the tea or the game personally.

The watch seems really nice and is a good price for a Swiss made movement. Have you thought about saving that one as a gift to him on your wedding day?

• Thanks laquredlover! And I get the not being big into consumer driven holidays. I probably should have stated in my post that Valentine's day also happens to be our anniversary. I know it's cheesy, but won't complain about when my bf is trying to be romantic...
  • Yikes girls! Sorry, didn't realize the word "last" would cause such a frenzy.  I guess I should have mentioned in my already super long post, that valentine's day is also our anniversary. 

I just wanted some help in making a decision when I already feel so overwhelmed with other decisions. 

But for the record @charlottesmom0626, I do enjoy my some good ol' bbq and fireworks on the 4th and egg hunts on Easter! ;)
  • Thanks @LaPeanut1018! I was actually think the watch might be nice as a wedding gift to give him on our wedding. 
  • @larrygaga I appreciate any and all advice. Thanks ;)
  • The game is adorable! I imagine Valentine's Day is important for you but I really think you could give this gift to him just because. In fact, thank you bc I think I'm going to make a pledge myself and give it to him for his birthday!! However... there is not much info regarding the activities. Do you have more information??
  • Thanks @LaPeanut1018! I was actually think the watch might be nice as a wedding gift to give him on our wedding. 
    I like this idea. I feel like your wedding day and wedding anniversary might be more meaningful than your "last" dating Valentines day/dating anniversary, but that's something only you can determine. I like the idea of the date thing or the tea for the Valentines gift. Either of those sound like they would be nice. I'd lean more towards the tea though, because I feel like in the long run that's what he'd probably use the most? 
  • Not getting into "last." But all those gifts are really nice--personally, I'd like the watch.
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • Knottie02135423 I'm not 100% sure, that is why I was hesitant about it. I think they keep them a secret so it's a surprise for both people. But especially with all the planning I'm having to do on my wedding right now, I love the idea of someone else thinking up dates/activities for me and just having to do it. 
  • KatieinBkln thank you for seeing past the "last" and giving me an answer. Clearly, I have miss represented myself by using that word. Just wanted help in choosing a gift for a special day for me and my bf.  Cute gif!
  • Not sure if anyone (here) commented on this, but if you are going to post this on every board (on the knot and the nest) please put a "XP" in the title. Many of us read multiple boards.
  • KatieinBkln thank you for seeing past the "last" and giving me an answer. Clearly, I have miss represented myself by using that word. Just wanted help in choosing a gift for a special day for me and my bf.  Cute gif!
    Don't take it personally; everyone has their opinion. No one is trying to be offensive, I think it might just be off-putting that what you're focused on is the last, or end, of something, while it really is the beginning of something even better :) No, you won't be dating anymore, but you'll be married! Yay! 
  • thespeshulestsnowflake, no problem will be happy to do that in the future. What exactly does "XP" mean? This is actually my first post on the know and saw that lots of posts didn't have any responses and was afraid of the same outcome. :/
  • chloestoeschloestoes member
    First Comment Name Dropper
    edited December 2014
    KatieinBkln thank you for seeing past the "last" and giving me an answer. Clearly, I have miss represented myself by using that word. Just wanted help in choosing a gift for a special day for me and my bf.  Cute gif!
    Don't take it personally; everyone has their opinion. No one is trying to be offensive, I think it might just be off-putting that what you're focused on is the last, or end, of something, while it really is the beginning of something even better :) No, you won't be dating anymore, but you'll be married! Yay! 
    Thanks, I'm new to all of this and was just excited to get started. I guess there is still loads to learn. 

But most importantly I am thrilled to be marrying my best friend and ensure this isn't our "last" valentine's day together! :);) 
  • thespeshulestsnowflake, no problem will be happy to do that in the future. What exactly does "XP" mean? This is actually my first post on the know and saw that lots of posts didn't have any responses and was afraid of the same outcome. :/

XP means that you've posted the same thing on another board ("cross posted").
    Anniversary

The reason some might not have had responses is due to people responding in the other threads.
  • Maybe it's because I don't "do" Valentines day, but I'm not sure why getting married would make you stop celebrating Valentines day or why you need an excuse to buy a gift.

• I wouldn't know ... My first Valentines Day with DH was after we were already married (we met in late Feb and got married in early Feb the following year, so our first Valentines Day was less than 2 weeks after our wedding.

We gave each other sex and booze.
  • I like all these gift ideas. I'm usually horrible at finding that perfect gift so I applaud your effort. I personally like the watch best but agree with PPs that this is a stellar wedding gift. So for second choice I would go with the tea thing. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards