Massachusetts-Boston

Free park wedding

Does anyone know of any town park that allow weddings to take place for free?

Re: Free park wedding

• You can get married in the Boston Public Garden or the Boston Common.  It's $50 for a permit if you're a resident and $100 if you're a non-resident, but I'm not sure how often they check for them.  However, there are a bunch of restrictions: you can't reserve a certain spot even with a permit, you can have a max of 50 people, you're not allowed to set anything up (chairs, etc) and you can't have amplified music.  I believe most Boston park areas have a similar policy (i.e., the Arboretum and the Rose Garden).  I think that you are less likely to get asked for a permit if you are having a small ceremony (i.e., just bride and groom) than if you are having a large event.

You can get married in the Larz Anderson park in Brookline for like $150-250 and I believe that includes rental of a certain part of the park and you can set up chairs and decorations if you want to.

Most town parks have fees for weddings and offer lower fees for residents so it would be good to look into a wedding in the town you live in first.  Some will only let you reserve a permit if you are a resident (i.e., I think in Cambridge you have to be a Cambridge resident).  
  • Is it a lot of guests? if not, why not just do it. 
  • Thanks Penelope thats some great info! I would like it small so it just might work out :)

• Does anyone know of any town park that allow weddings to take place for free?
    Any Mass DCR park can be used with a $45 special event permit, you just need to submit an application and then give a copy of the liability insurance of whoever will be doing the set-up for the ceremony. You can find all their parks by region here: http://www.mass.gov/eea/agencies/dcr/massparks/places-to-go/
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards