Chit Chat

What's your first world problem of the day?

Re: What's your first world problem of the day?

• Ugh. I cannot find a case for my new phone. And Verizon hasn't sent me a shipping email. I'm fairly certain their "overnight" shipping only applies to people living next door. I mean, they said 1/1. I know it's a holiday and I know they're lying to me, but I'm hoping.

• I have another one. We made plans to have friends over for NYE and I was looking forward to being in my pajamas all day. He just called me to tell me he and his bf will be arriving dressed up...which means DH and I have to as well. Boo.
  • My bosses ordered pizza for the whole office and it was delivered while I was out getting a sandwich for lunch, and when I returned and saw all the pizza, I really wanted a slice but didn't want to waste my sandwich...
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• New FWP- my manager asked for someones number gave him the extension sheet. he walked off with it. now the damn printer isnt working so i cant print myself a new one. 
  • peachy13 said:
    My bosses ordered pizza for the whole office and it was delivered while I was out getting a sandwich for lunch, and when I returned and saw all the pizza, I really wanted a slice but didn't want to waste my sandwich...
    I would have just eaten the sandwich and a slice of pizza :)

• We're going to a friend's NYE party tonight, and some friend of theirs is posting in the FB invite that she's bringing a knock-off CAH game. It's not even the Matrimony one, which I have (and is... ok but not as hilarious). It's called Crabs Adjust Humidity which sounds really stupid and I don't want to play her stupid knock-off. Why would you buy a stupid knock-off? No lady, we have the real thing that we've been playing for 3 years. Don't mess with a good thing. Nobody's "tired of playing with the original cards and expansions." 

• Inkdancer said:
    I need to go grocery shopping for NYE dinner, but I don't want to leave the house. Also, we don't have a grill so we can't have steak.
    Yes you can!  Do you have a cast iron pan or another heavy duty skillet that can be put in the oven?  I usually cook steak in my cast iron pan.  Get the pan screaming hot on the stove (oh and preheat your oven to 500) and then sear the slightly oiled, salt and peppered steak on one side for about 30 seconds to one minute, flip for another 30 seconds to one minute.  Then take the whole pan and put it in the oven. After three minutes flip the steak, add a nice pad of butter and then let it cook an additional three minutes (for a medium stead).  Take out of oven, cover and let sit for 2-5 minutes.

Adjust timing (add or subtract a minute or two) for the doneness you are looking for.
    All of our pots and pans have meltable plastic on the handles. We registered for some oven-safe stuff but nobody bought it. Sad day :(
    eyeroll
  • do you have a broiler pan?

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I have another one. We made plans to have friends over for NYE and I was looking forward to being in my pajamas all day. He just called me to tell me he and his bf will be arriving dressed up...which means DH and I have to as well. Boo.
    I find it funny he called to tell you they were dressing up.  I say you put on a totally OTT necklace with your jammies and call it a night!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• lyndausvi said:
    do you have a broiler pan?
    Nope. I mostly bake desserts, so all our oven stuff is geared toward sweets.
    eyeroll
  • Inkdancer said:
    lyndausvi said:
    Okay, now you are just being difficult here   :-p

DH has cooked amazing steaks on stove before.    

You must have a cookie sheet if you bake.  You can sear the steaks on the stove and then transfer the meat to a cookie sheet in the oven.    Actually when doing banquets DH sears the steaks on a grill and then puts them on large sheet trays and throws them in the oven.  This would be similar except you sear them using the stove.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
    I find it funny he called to tell you they were dressing up.  I say you put on a totally OTT necklace with your jammies and call it a night!
    He actually called because he was at the liquor store and wanted to see if I needed anything sprcific. God bless him. 
  • Inkdancer said:
    lyndausvi said:
    I think you could substitute a cookie sheet with a metal cooling rack on top.  Then you could sear the steak in a skillet and then transfer it to the rack/sheet combo and throw it in the oven.

• I will have to talk DH into trying this. He is convinced that only the grill will give him the flavor he wants... maybe the sear and bake method will appeal to him!

I think he's bringing scallops home, though. Mmm scallops.
    eyeroll
  • Inkdancer said:
    I will have to talk DH into trying this. He is convinced that only the grill will give him the flavor he wants... maybe the sear and bake method will appeal to him!

Does he like steak that he gets out at restaurants?  Because searing and baking/broiling is usually how restaurants cook steaks.

• Inkdancer said:
    I will have to talk DH into trying this. He is convinced that only the grill will give him the flavor he wants... maybe the sear and bake method will appeal to him!

Does he like steak that he gets out at restaurants?  Because searing and baking/broiling is usually how restaurants cook steaks.
    yep.

• New FWP - My apple is too sweet. And kind of hard. It hurts my gums to eat it. But I REALLY wanted an apple.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• lyndausvi said:
    Inkdancer said:

yep.
    I actually don't know. We only ever get steak at this one place that is famous locally for being so fancy. The rest of the time he just wants burgers.
    eyeroll
  • We are going to have to leave the house to get dinner

--

I'm the fuck
    out.

• My favorite BBQ quinoa chips aren't available on Amazon Prime so I have to wait for regular shipping. image
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I want a salami sandwich in the worst way...and can't have it....
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I bought the wrong Kashi cereal from the store yesterday and I only realized it after I opened it :/
    Anniversary
  • That Starbucks doesn't deliver.  I need mad caffeine on IV today so I can stay up to celebrate tonight!  
    Btw...I just learned that Starbucks is starting delivery in limited cities... :)
  • My wedding is in six months, I need  to loose 40ish lbs to fit into my dress...  Oh and all my other clothes.  My attic is housing a lovely full wardrobe, that my ass can't fit into...  All my "fat" clothes are falling apart from over wear since I refuse to buy new clothes when I have an attic full of them.  Uggh 

• mrsk616mrsk616 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited January 2015
    i didnt bring lunch today so i have to go out and get lunch and its freezing cold snowing and windy out. fail. at least its a short walk to get food but its still cold 

ETA:
    the wind chill is at 0 right now. going to be negative tomorrow. i hate this weather. 
  • I just got to spend over 3 months traveling to other countries for work which ROCKED and now I have to travel for another week but I just want to sit at home!!! Dang you awesome work opportunities!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • The windchill is currently -22. This morning when I left the house, the temperature was one below. My FWP is that my garage and car were able to function properly and I had no excuse not to come to work so here I am. I want to be on my couch eating an entire box of macaroni and cheese.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • I'm meeting with a DOC today because I got an amazing new job and I'm SUPER busy and planning is just killing me lately. So I'm meeting with a DOC to discuss how they can help me. 

All I want to do is go home. It's -25 with the wind chill and I just want to go home and snuggle with my new kitty while the old kitty looks on menancingly like.

• We aren't allowed to burn candles at our office. One day I was burning a candle in my office with the door shut and we all (the 30 people who work in my building) received an email reminding us we aren't allowed to have anything with an open flame. So I got a candle warmer. We just got another email asking "whoever is using scented stuff to please stop" because it is bothering someone's nose. I know people have allergies, but I'm still aggravated because sometimes I'm selfish. But I will pack up my candle warmer and take it home and everyone can continue smelling boring air here. 
    Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards