Pre-wedding Parties

How to thank shower guests

I initially didn't want a shower, but my friends convinced me it would be fun, so they are throwing one. I'm aware of the etiquette that I should buy gifts for the hosts--but can I also buy gifts or favors for the guests, or would this be interfering with the hosts' responsibilities? I just feel guilty receiving another gift (in addition to the wedding) and therefore would like to do something more than a thank-you card. If this is appropriate, do you have any ideas for gifts I could get for the guests? I'm thinking maybe a small gift bag of travel-sized lotions or something like that?  

Re: How to thank shower guests

• plainjane0415plainjane0415 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited January 2015

Eh, favors aren't really required at showers.  If I were you I would let the hosts decide if they want to do this or not.

The best way to thank your shower guests is to personally thank them for coming, and if they give a gift, with a thank you note. 

• I say you're thanking all of those people well enough by inviting them to your wedding! That's a huge party - a huge thank you for being a big part of your life. The hosts will decide (and pay for) any favors - you just worry about favors for the big day.

At least that's been the case in my experience!
  • I initially didn't want a shower, but my friends convinced me it would be fun, so they are throwing one. I'm aware of the etiquette that I should buy gifts for the hosts--but can I also buy gifts or favors for the guests, or would this be interfering with the hosts' responsibilities? I just feel guilty receiving another gift (in addition to the wedding) and therefore would like to do something more than a thank-you card. If this is appropriate, do you have any ideas for gifts I could get for the guests? I'm thinking maybe a small gift bag of travel-sized lotions or something like that?  

The favor (or not) is the responsibility of the host, so you should leave that up to her. If you brought something, the host could feel insulted that you have doubts about her ability to host. I heartfelt thank you note from you is the best gift.
  • Send them heartfelt thank-you notes for their gifts. Beyond that, since you're inviting them to your wedding, no additional thank-you gestures are necessary.
  • Showers are a gift-giving event by nature. Decline if you do not want the gifts. If you do accept having a shower thrown for you, write and promptly mail thank-you notes. That is the correct etiquette.
  • I agree with pp's.  Timely thank you notes that are heart felt are really the only "gift" that is needed.  However, if you want to do a party favor, I was successful with a trip through Dollar Tree.  They sell thick glass tea light holders in packs of two and often have pretty gift boxes.  I put the tea light holders, with tea lights in one of their gift boxes, with tissue paper.  It made a very nice favor and cost me about $2.50 per gift.  
  • I agree with pp's.  Timely thank you notes that are heart felt are really the only "gift" that is needed.  However, if you want to do a party favor, I was successful with a trip through Dollar Tree.  They sell thick glass tea light holders in packs of two and often have pretty gift boxes.  I put the tea light holders, with tea lights in one of their gift boxes, with tissue paper.  It made a very nice favor and cost me about $2.50 per gift.  
    She should not be the one to provide favors, though, no matter how easy or inexpensive. The hosts can do that if they choose.

OP - a heartfelt thank you to guests when you greet them and a thank you note for whatever gifts you receive is all you need to worry about. 
  • Sounds good, thanks everyone.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards