Wedding Etiquette Forum

Beer only wedding. Okay or not cool?

We are considering a venue that has no venue fee, very good onsite chefs, a cool vibe that needs little to no decorating, but is an event space in a brewery. As such, we can only serve their beer at our wedding. This is a larger craft brewer so they have a ton of beer options (not just the hoppy IPAs), but is a craft brewer so may not be familiar with many of the out of state guests. My question is how will guests feel about not being able to have at the very least wine? We don't know the drinking preferences of many of our extended families outside of their hard liquor preferences (which we wouldn't offer as a part of any open bar anyways, but could be there for them to purchase themselves if we went with a different venue). I'm wonder what you all would think if your were invited to a wedding with about 10 taps of completely free beer, but nothing else.

Re: Beer only wedding. Okay or not cool?

• We are considering a venue that has no venue fee, very good onsite chefs, a cool vibe that needs little to no decorating, but is an event space in a brewery. As such, we can only serve their beer at our wedding. This is a larger craft brewer so they have a ton of beer options (not just the hoppy IPAs), but is a craft brewer so may not be familiar with many of the out of state guests. My question is how will guests feel about not being able to have at the very least wine? We don't know the drinking preferences of many of our extended families outside of their hard liquor preferences (which we wouldn't offer as a part of any open bar anyways, but could be there for them to purchase themselves if we went with a different venue). I'm wonder what you all would think if your were invited to a wedding with about 10 taps of completely free beer, but nothing else.
    Are you having non-alcoholic drinks?  Soda, iced tea, lemonade, etc?

• edited January 2015
    Non alcoholic drinks are a given. Definitely soda and water. Probably some 3rd option.
  • Completely agree, however our budget won't allow for hard alcohol to be covered. If we do it at a place that allows hard alcohol we could only afford to cover beer and wine with maybe a specialty cocktail. I've been to plenty of weddings where this was the case and I've just picked something that was offered with the open bar. It's never been a big deal.
  • I think this idea is fine. You will never make everybody happy, and as long as everybody is hosted with something, (soda, water, coffee, tea) I don't see a problem. 

Personally I think it's awesome and I would love it. But I do a lot of brew festivals and tastings (I'm from Portland, OR)
  • I'd love this as a guest! Craft beers are really fun to try. I'm not a huge beer drinker, but I'm sure I'd enjoy the venue and the novelty of being in a craft brewery. Maybe see if they can offer beer flights to guests too so they can sample lots of the beers in small quantities? If I went to a wedding and the bar offered beer flights I'd spend weeks bragging to my friends about how cool it was. 
    <br>

I think as long as no one has to pay, and you also offer plenty non alcoholic drinks, you're in the clear etiquette wise. 
  • I think it's fine and if I knew the reception was being held at a brewery then I would probably expect it (vs. showing up to a hotel ballroom and discovering you're only serving beer).  However, as someone who doesn't drink beer (unless there is a gluten-free variety or a hard cider available), then I think having something else festive would be nice if they will allow you to bring it in, like a non-alcoholic punch.  Or would they be opposed to sparkling non-alcoholic ciders/juices?
  • It's perfectly fine to just serve beer and non alcoholic beverages, but you can't have anything available for purchase that you aren't hosting yourself. So if you can't afford hard alcohol that's fine, but your guests should not have the option available to purchase it.

Formerly martha1818

• I think this is fine as long as you offer a variety of non-alcoholic beverages.  And personally, this sounds awesome!  I'm a beer drinker and I've found that at a good craft brewery, most people can find something they will enjoy even if they are not normally a fan of typical lager beer.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• This is my dream venue. A brewery is even more divine than a distillery! Just have nonalcoholic choices, as PP recommended.
  • Is there a really wide variety of beer types? Generally I hate beer but can choke down something kind of light. File this under "you can't please everyone" and have soda on hand.

• Very, very cool!!! I'm not really a beer drinker, but I think this is fabulous. I'm not sure I'd go beer-only if this weren't a venue-made decision, but it sounds like a really unique and fun twist to your reception. (I'd been sad for a split-second that there's no wine, but everyone will get past it pretty quickly)

Have a blast!
  • You're in the clear etiquette wise to just serve beer and nonalcoholic choices. Sounds awesome!!

Where you'd get into muddy etiquette territory is having things available for purchase. That's a no-no. Just offer what you're going to offer and polite guests will be grateful. You do not need to have a full bar.
    *********************************************************************************

• As long as you can provide some soft drinks and water, I would be happy as a guest. I wouldn't go to a winery for a wedding & expect to get beer.
  • As a beer drinker, I think this sounds awesome. That said, make sure you can have water and soda available for those who don't like beer or who don't drink. 

Also, regardless of where you have your wedding, guests should not have to pay for their drinks, hard liquor or otherwise. You either offer something or you don't, but your guests should not have to take their wallets out for any reason. 

• My SO would love this option and think it was awesome. I'm not a beer drinker but as long as there are non-alcoholic choices for me, then I wouldn't mind at all.

• As a beer hater, I would be fine with this.  If I am properly hosted (ie soft drinks, tea, coffee, water) I would be a happy camper.
  • Agree with PPs about the non-alcoholic options, but it looks like you are planning to have those so I think you're in the clear. Don't ask guests to open their wallets for anything though. I think this sounds amazing, I'm from San Diego and the breweries here are awesome (we did a brewery tour for my birthday this past year). Sounds like a blast!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • On paper I'm fine with this but it wouldn't fly in my family. Dad is a beer drinker so he'd be happy but mom really likes her wine and so do grandma and my aunt. They wouldn't complain but I know they wouldn't be thrilled with an alcoholic option of beer or nothing. I think you really need to know your crowd for this.
  • I agree with banana468. I wouldn't think you're rude for serving beer and soft drinks only. But I'm not a beer drinker and would be a little disappointed that I couldn't have a glass of wine, champagne or something made with rum.

• Definitely consider your crowd.  I'd be a little bummed I couldn't have my pre-dinner glass of chardonnay, but that's just 'cause I'm a wannabe wine snob.  (And I'd get over it quickly with a nice craft beer.)

Nothing wrong with it etiquette wise, and honestly, I think it sounds cool (slothieguy would LOVE it), it's just more "know thy audience" thing.
    Anniversary

• This is totally fine and very cool. Some people are not big beer drinkers, some do not like beer. Definitely have non-alcoholic drinks on hand for those who don't care for beer. 

Consider having lemonade on-hand especially because guests could have lemonade shandy's, which are beer and lemonade. I think some non-beer drinking guests would like those better than beer by itself. 
  • This is totally fine and very cool. Some people are not big beer drinkers, some do not like beer. Definitely have non-alcoholic drinks on hand for those who don't care for beer. 

Consider having lemonade on-hand especially because guests could have lemonade shandy's, which are beer and lemonade. I think some non-beer drinking guests would like those better than beer by itself. 

Say whaaaaa??  How have I never heard of/tried this?!?
    Anniversary

Love these! You can also do a beermosa (beer and orange juice).
  • It totally depends on the venue and a brewery seems like the perfect place for a beer only wedding

Say whaaaaa??  How have I never heard of/tried this?!?
    Traveler's makes an entire line of shandys: grapefruit, strawberry, lemonade... Leinenkugel's has their summer seasonal Summer Shandy (which I have a few friends that stalk the shelves for this). You can find the traveler's shandys anywhere though. Click for beer!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards