Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Does Anyone Have Experience with "Cake Pulls"?

Hi There,

I was wondering if anyone has experience with "cake pulls", a Southern tradition that has small charms baked into the cake (usually in the back) and pulled out by the ribbon that is attached. Typically all bridesmaids/flower girls will all pull theirs together (makes a nice photo opp) and each charm has a special meaning (for example, a four-leaf clover means good luck, a fleur-de-lis love and prosperity, etc).  I'm not originally from the south but have been living in Nola for awhile and we are getting married here.  I'm trying to incorporate some New Orleans cultural elements into the reception w/o turning it into an over the top green, purple, and gold Mardi Gras party.  Would love some thoughts from any of you who have either done this, seen this done, or just have an opinion one way or the other.  We are skipping the whole garter thing and possibly the bouquet toss so this would be a "planned activity" the bridal party could participate in during the reception.  In any case, thanks for your thoughts!

From www.southernweddings.com, "Most popular in the South, especially around New Orleans, the Cake Pull gets it’s roots from an old Victorian tradition of “ribbon pulling.” In those days, charms of luck and good fortune were placed into the wedding cake by the bride for her single friends. Now a days, bakers place sterling silver charms with specific means inside the bottom layer of the bride’s cake and all the single ladies are given the opportunity to pull a charm from the cake (a ceremony called the “ribbon pull”) just before the cake is cut."

Re: Does Anyone Have Experience with "Cake Pulls"?

• I'm luke warm on the cake pull. It's more of a photo op for the people involved vs. something fun/southern for guests. But it's not hurting anyone by any means, so whatever.

My sister got married in NOLA. They incorporated southern/NOLA tradition by having the wedding in a courtyard with lots of plants, string lights, and a fountain (you know the type if you live there), they had a creole menu, and they had a live band. I'm pretty sure they had hurricanes offered at the bar, but I was wasted, so it's anyone's guess! :) All that definitely gave the NOLA vibe. 

Then of course, you'll want to do a second line. For this, I would get those ribbon on a stick things and other fun parade type things. My sister still lives there and whenever I go to visit, the second lines that look the most fun are those that are done after the reception - when everyone is good and liquored up. The ones before tend to be luke warm unless you have a really fun group of people. Make sure to check with the city about permits if you do this.
    *********************************************************************************

• Cool, thanks!  I would definitely take advice from someone with your user name!

I'm still undecided about the cake pull - I'd save it for the shower but my bridesmaids are all over the country so the wedding may be the only time we are all together.  

We are DEFINITELY doing a 2nd line, thanks for the advice on favors.  Been checking Etsy for that.  Our venue is set up to set us off for that after the reception.  Can't wait.  We are also doing beignet & cafe au lait towards the end of the reception which I think the out of town guests might appreciate. 

The venue you described sounds EXACTLY like one I looked at.  Definitely very authentic Nola.  

Thanks again for the advice.  We have a fun group of locals and out of towners and an open bar.  I'm anticipating a Broadway level 2nd line!
  • When I read "cake pull" I initially thought of "oil pulling" and imagined swirling frosting/cake around in your mouth for an extended period of time. Delicious? Or disgusting? Hmm.

Zero valuable input on the actual cake pull though.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • tcnoble said:
    When I read "cake pull" I initially thought of "oil pulling" and imagined swirling frosting/cake around in your mouth for an extended period of time. Delicious? Or disgusting? Hmm.

Zero valuable input on the actual cake pull though.
    *Mind Blown*

If it's any consolation, my first thought was of a tractor pull, only a bunch of hangry bridesmaids pull giant wedding cakes across the dance floor in some sort of bizarre relay race.  
  • IMO - is it a "tradition" or is it "another way to get $50 out of a bride".  Chances are if you have to ask, it's not a "tradition" in your neck of the woods.  I don't think it's worth it - there are SO many other things going on that day which are photo ops, and I'd rather see that money spent on something that's for all of your guests to enjoy.  It's not like King Cake where there's a baby tucked inside of the wedding cake and the person to get it is responsible for the next cake KWIM.. 
  • @MesmrEwe Thank you, that's a great point.  It's for sure a tradition here as my friends who were raised here know all about it (Nola has zillions of unique little rituals) and tons of stores sell them (not the bakery) butyou're right, it is indeed another expense and there will be lots of activities that day.  I have a feeling my 5 year old niece flower girl will love pulling the charm from the cake though. I honestly would do it just for her :)  I looked them up and can get some relatively inexpensively on Amazon or Etsy but can you believe Mignon Faget has them for $500 for the set?  Now THAT is one expense I will not be taking on.  :)
    Thank you for your input!
  • @MesmrEwe Thank you, that's a great point.  It's for sure a tradition here as my friends who were raised here know all about it (Nola has zillions of unique little rituals) and tons of stores sell them (not the bakery) butyou're right, it is indeed another expense and there will be lots of activities that day.  I have a feeling my 5 year old niece flower girl will love pulling the charm from the cake though. I honestly would do it just for her :)  I looked them up and can get some relatively inexpensively on Amazon or Etsy but can you believe Mignon Faget has them for $500 for the set?  Now THAT is one expense I will not be taking on.  :)
    Thank you for your input!
    Make sure whatever charms you choose are safe to come in contact with food!!!
  • It sounds messy, no?
  • It sounds messy, no?
    If you do a lot of them, like a dozen, yes, for sure.  But they are tiny charms, usually attached to a sheer ribbon.  The bakers down here stick them in the back of the cake.  I'm still undecided.  Seems gimmicky to me but I LOVE all the odd little traditions of New Orleans and I still think my niece would love it :) 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards