Pre-wedding Parties

Bridal Shower: Who to Invite

Hi all,

I'm putting together my wedding invite list. I know my matron of honor is going to be asking me soon for a list of invites for the Bridal Shower. 

Question: Who should be invited? My family is all over the US and my FI's family is only in Pennsylvania. I was under the "Wedding Etiquette," and thought I should invite all women who are invited to the wedding to the Bridal Shower? Right now the list is currently at 40 Invites, however I know there's about 15 ladies who might not be coming all until the wedding.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks!!

Re: Bridal Shower: Who to Invite

•   Showers generally call for an additional gift beyond the usual wedding gift.  They should be for people you are very close too, not just every woman invited to the wedding.

Also, they are not the main event.  Most people do not drive for hours or fly to showers,  unless they are very close family, like a mother or grandmother,  or some bridal party members, if they can afford it and want to come.

When asked for a list for a shower, also keep in mind that the hostess makes the final list, so she may only have a budget and room  for 15 people  or 25, even if you nominate 40.  It is helpful to list first anyone who would be devastated if not invited, and any BParty,  then local people you know well who are very likely to come,  and at the  end, people who live at a distance   greater than a party for a couple of hours would justify travelling.  And with the last group, ask yourself, would you spend the money on a gift and maybe 4 hours driving and the cost of gas or an airline ticket for this person" shower, baby baptism, once a year party?

People who invite everyone, including girlfriends of men in BP that they hardly know, SO of parents friends who have never had you to their home,  people they have not seen for 2 years   etc.   are usually viewed as rather selfish, out to get as many gifts as possible.

But if your list is pared down to 75 from the 300 you would like to invite,  then maybe everyone on your invite list within a reasonable distance to travel is really close enough to invite.

• First ask how many people your MOH is comfortable hosting.  Then go from there.  I think it's a good idea to keep shower invites to close family and friends. One tip to remember as well is that any one that is invited to a pre-wedding party, must be invited to the wedding.
  • I would only invite people I am close with. I would not invite every woman invited to the wedding. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • First find out from your MOH what her capacity is, and then put on your list the women who are closest to you-but not every single female wedding guest. Make sure everyone you include is invited to the wedding. Also, bear in mind that while out-of-town guests do come to weddings, they are much less likely to attend showers.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards