Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Is this a PPD?

2»

Re: Is this a PPD?

• @MagicInk, love it! Good point about the P as well; H and I have a friend who identifies as pansexual (and panromantic, I think? She explained to me once but I've forgotten)
  • @MagicInk, love it! Good point about the P as well; H and I have a friend who identifies as pansexual (and panromantic, I think? She explained to me once but I've forgotten)
    I have a few pansexual friends, I don't think any have ever told me their panromantic...but maybe I just wasn't paying attention. I'm just like "Ok, that's cool, date/sleep with whomever as long as everyone is of age and consenting. And no farm animals. The damn homophobes have been ranting about us marrying goats for eons, we can't do farm animals guys".
  • MagicInk said:
    @MagicInk, love it! Good point about the P as well; H and I have a friend who identifies as pansexual (and panromantic, I think? She explained to me once but I've forgotten)
    I have a few pansexual friends, I don't think any have ever told me their panromantic...but maybe I just wasn't paying attention. I'm just like "Ok, that's cool, date/sleep with whomever as long as everyone is of age and consenting. And no farm animals. The damn homophobes have been ranting about us marrying goats for eons, we can't do farm animals guys".
    Care to educate me? What exactly is pansexual?

• emmaaa said:
    MagicInk said:
    @MagicInk, love it! Good point about the P as well; H and I have a friend who identifies as pansexual (and panromantic, I think? She explained to me once but I've forgotten)
    Most people who identify as pansexual are attracted to a person, not their gender. They might date someone who is male or female or transgender or intersex, it doesn't matter to them. They aren't attracted to a woman or a man. They're attracted to the person.
  • MagicInk said:
    emmaaa said:
    MagicInk said:
    Most people who identify as pansexual are attracted to a person, not their gender. They might date someone who is male or female or transgender or intersex, it doesn't matter to them. They aren't attracted to a woman or a man. They're attracted to the person.
    Thank you for the clarification!

• You can even add "2S" to it, which was often done at my university with a large First Nations population. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two-Spirit
  • leelabear said:

Well, I guess that settles it then. It’s a pretty princess day.

To be honest, it really saddens me that this seems to be the case. I guess my view of getting married is a little different than everybody else’s. To me marriage is a promise, a commitment to another human being. The point of becoming married comes when you tell that person you will be there for them. I’m sure everyone may have slightly different wording for this. Some people write their own vows (promises and commitments) and others prefer to use the standard version (in sickness and in health, etc.). For those who believe in God, it might involve saying these commitments with as Him as a witness. These commitments along with love and understanding are what hold a couple together.

To me getting married isn’t about the white dress, the perfect reception, the gifts, the sendoff, or the traditions. It’s also not about a piece of paper that tells my government I’m in a legal contract with another person. Is that what marriage is to you? A legal marriage contract doesn’t make me feel confident that someone will cheer me up when I am down, hug me when I need one, or hold my hand when I am on my deathbed.

Maybe perhaps, my view on marriage is rather skewed. It could be that I watched too many movies growing up. Like in Brave Heart how William Wallace married Murron in secret so he didn’t have to share his wife with an Englishman. Technically his marriage wasn’t legal by today’s standards.

So when people define a PPD by having anything marriage like including vow exchange on a day after the day they only legally got married, I think it’s sad. One the other hand, I can completely agree it’s a PPD if a couple vow/commit themselves to each other one day and then have an over the top party with reenactment vows another day.

I cannot agree that marriage is simply a piece of paper handed out by our government. It’s sad that so many people view it this way. 

You're kidding me, right? When you chop down marriage it's a legal contract between two people. And when that contract is broken, you lose half of your stuff. Marriage isn't about the fluff. It may take the wind out of your sails, sunshine, but that's all marriage is. We build the day around that.

• MagicInk said:
    emmaaa said:
    MagicInk said:
    My cousin was? is? pansexual. One day she was dating a guy. Then she was dating a girl. Then she was dating a female who was trans (Sorry for my lack of knowledge on the terminology- Educate me). Then I stopped trying to keep up. Then she was pregnant and getting married to a dude. 

I was. And am. so confused. But hey, in the end and all around, she was happy. That's all that counts.

• I think it's really amusing that everyone is getting so worked up about this, especially when in some other countries by law you have to have a civil ceremony, and then if you want to do a religious ceremony you do it shortly afterwards. Personally it's YOUR day, do what YOU want to. Just be honest that you were previously married in a civil ceremony. I have absolutely no issue with a newlywed couple having a commitment ceremony before friends, family, and/or their deity of choice, followed by a party (aka reception). Maybe just change the wording for vows and invites a little, and perhaps walk down the aisle together since you two are already "legally one."
  • Bride's Full Name
    and
    Groom's Full Name
    announce their marriage
    Date of courthouse ceremony
    City, State

The pleasure of your company is requested (honour of your presence)
    at a party to celebrate their marriage
    Date of party
    Venue
    Address
    City, State

httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • @libra44423- please stop bumping threads on the boards about PPDs. If you want to make a new thread about it, it's fine, but you are bumping up threads that have been dead for awhile.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards