Wedding Photography and Videography Forum
Options

Engagement photos are awful - photographer booked for wedding too...need advice!

So, my fiancé and I finally got our engagement shoot done (we had to reschedule due to weather/other issues) last month. While doing the photoshoot, I felt very upset with how she was shooting, almost everything was shot far away with a wide angle lens. Long story short, got our photos back and literally only like 25 out of 142. EVERYTHING is so far away that you can't even see who we are or tell that it's us! It's as if she was shooting the scenery more that us. She did ask what we were looking for and we said a variety of both close up and full body, I did not think that would imply long distance shooting!
I've worked with this photographer myself before (I modeled for a few years in college) and know her work, and this is nothing like any of the other e-shoots I've seen from her.
What should I do?! Should we look into scheduling another photographer?
I really don't want to nor have the time or funds to do another engagement shoot on top of this one...
Please help!

Re: Engagement photos are awful - photographer booked for wedding too...need advice!

• Options
    I would talk to her and tell her how you feel. Ask her to do a free reshoot. If she refuses, start looking for a new wedding photog. If the reshoot returns the same results, hire a new photog for the wedding as well. GL! :smile:
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Options
    I agree.
    If she won't do a a makeup shoot for free, then I'd def. look into getting another wedding photographer.
  • Options
    if it's nothing like her portfolio/website shows then yes, I'd ask for a re-shoot. If she won't re-shoot then I'd look for another photographer. You don't want to be let down on your wedding day.
  • Options
    If you have worked with her, maybe it will be easier to bring it up.  You already have a bit more of a relationship.  I think that you should just talk to her and see what she says.
  • Options
    dave1photodave1photo member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited March 2015
    Definitely you need to honestly sit down with your photographer and talk it all our, until you're satisfied.  If you've seen her work and you believe that she can do the work you need, then your honest conversation should get her refocused on what you need.  And you should be ok.

If not, as others have said, then you may need to make a change.  This is actually another important benefit of the engagement shoot.  Even if you don't want the shoot material, try to have the shoot just to do a "dry run", with the photographer and with the expected product.

As I've said in another post, I believe that the engagement shoot is a very important thing to do.  But it's invaluable.  You get to meet and shoot.  You get to talk and learn about each other.  And you get to see real work, with you as the subject.  You get to see how you get along with the photographer as well.  NOTHING can be as bad as booking your photographer than finding out that you really don't like them.  It's going to be a LONG wedding day.

(edited by mod)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards