Wedding Reception Forum

Reception...is this enough?

My fiancé and I will be getting married at 2pm with a reception to follow at a country club that is maybe 5-10 minutes away from the church. The reason we are having it around this time is because we could not afford a full meal. We are having hors d'oeuvres such as chicken tenders, cheese and fruit trays, veggie spread, chips and dip, mozzarella sticks, potato skins, and ham and swiss sandwiches. We will also have a cupcake wedding cake as well. We will have a DJ there along with a photo booth. We could not afford an open bar so after reading about cash bars we had to completely cut the bar out but there will be tea, coffee, water, and sodas available at no cost. Does this sound like enough for an afternoon reception with heavy appetizers? just wanting some opinions. 

Re: Reception...is this enough?

• I think that should be enough, just make sure to get plenty of your hors d'oeuvres so it's enough for everyone to have a few of each and then extra.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • hales2010 said:
    My fiancé and I will be getting married at 2pm with a reception to follow at a country club that is maybe 5-10 minutes away from the church. The reason we are having it around this time is because we could not afford a full meal. We are having hors d'oeuvres such as chicken tenders, cheese and fruit trays, veggie spread, chips and dip, mozzarella sticks, potato skins, and ham and swiss sandwiches. We will also have a cupcake wedding cake as well. We will have a DJ there along with a photo booth. We could not afford an open bar so after reading about cash bars we had to completely cut the bar out but there will be tea, coffee, water, and sodas available at no cost. Does this sound like enough for an afternoon reception with heavy appetizers? just wanting some opinions. 
    That sounds fine.  Have a lovely wedding!

• I think it sounds lovely and romantic.  Enjoy your day and cheers to you for planning such a special event without breaking the bank.
  • That sounds perfectly fine to me.
  • Sounds good!

Formerly martha1818

• 200% fine. Many choices to appeal to many tastes or dietary needs, appropriate for the time of day, nice choice of beverages. I'd be pleased with this.
  • If there are enough of your hors d'oeuvres, you'll be just fine. Your menu sounds lovely.
  • Sounds great!
  • Ours is much the same. I was really concerned about the cash bar also. We decided to provide tea, punch, water, and soda as well as purchase a keg and provide enough wine for people to have a couple glasses and have a cash bar on the side if somebody wants more than that. The beer and the wine totaled around $350 and I can't imagine that not being enough for a wedding reception from 3:30-7pm. If its not than I severly underestimate my friends and family.
  • Ours is much the same. I was really concerned about the cash bar also. We decided to provide tea, punch, water, and soda as well as purchase a keg and provide enough wine for people to have a couple glasses and have a cash bar on the side if somebody wants more than that. The beer and the wine totaled around $350 and I can't imagine that not being enough for a wedding reception from 3:30-7pm. If its not than I severly underestimate my friends and family.
    Nope. Don't do this. Beer and wine is plenty. You aren't obligated to provide liquor, and people shouldn't complain if you don't. You should never make guests open their wallets at a party you are hosting.

This would be like serving chicken for dinner and charging people $20 if they want steak instead. That doesn't make sense, right? So why do it with alcohol?
  • Our ceremony is at 1:30, so our reception will probably start between 2:30 and 3. We're doing about the same as you are - heavy hors d'oeuvres with beer, wine, and soft drinks. Then cake. Our venue doesn't allow cash bars, but like PPs have said, they aren't for weddings anyway.
  • This thread was so great!! And then the cash bar rears it's ugly head...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Sounds lovely and I would be happy to attend as a guest.
  • Sounds wonderful!  When it's over you could all meet up for drinks and dancing at your favorite hangout! Most likely your friends will buy you drinks and you will all be ready to let loose!
  • As long as there are enough, I can easily make a meal out of appetizers. And I don't drink, ,so a few free sodas, and I am all set.

Cupcakes are one of my food groups.

• Sounds fab. Congrats and enjoy!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards