Budget Weddings Forum
Options

No Coordinator, Not sure about time, running things solo

I am having a June wedding outside, totally outside at my fiancés fathers property (big field in the woods). I need some help deciding on the time to start the ceremony since I am trying to do things all myself. The sun sets that day around 8:58pm and I really want to have beautiful sunset pictures. Considering the wedding is totally outside I don't want it to be too dark for people to enjoy themselves, but I don't want it to be too hot during the ceremony. I originally had thought 5 for the ceremony but I read online that was the worst time to have a summer wedding outdoors. Now I am confused. I emailed my photographer but she has yet to get back to me and that was a month ago. I need to order my invitations so I am really nervous about the time. I just want everyone to have fun all night without having the sun setting in their eyes and a sweaty groom.

any advice is greatly appreciated.

Re: No Coordinator, Not sure about time, running things solo

• Options
    Email your photographer again. It's bullshit they haven't replied.  I'd take their recommendation since they know the area and timing you'll need.
  • Options
    I also want to add that there is nothing wrong with starting your reception, and then ducking out to take 15 minutes of pictures at sunset.  Don't make your guests wait for you though.  My boss just went to a wedding where there was a three hour gap because the bride wanted sunset pictures.  She couldn't believe how selfish it was. 

I second that it's bullshit that your photographer hasn't replied. Have you tried calling her as well?

• Options
    Also just want to point out to make sure you have a back up plan. Are you renting a tent? What if it rains? 
  • Options
    Seconding the suggestion to call your photographer. Maybe your e-mail legitimately got lost and/or went into her spam filter, or maybe she's simply not being attentive enough, but either way that's not acceptable and a phone call makes it harder to duck you.

Also agree that you can get a few quick sunset pictures mid-reception; you just want to time it so that you are not delaying dinner, first dance or anything that might keep guests waiting. If you are having any kind of DJ/emcee, this might be a good conversation to have with them and whoever is in charge of the food so that you have a plan. We hadn't thought about sunset pictures at all, but our photographer suggested scheduling a 15-minute break around sunset and so that is what we are going to do. 
  • Options
    mad_sam said:

I am having a June wedding outside, totally outside at my fiancés fathers property (big field in the woods). I need some help deciding on the time to start the ceremony since I am trying to do things all myself. The sun sets that day around 8:58pm and I really want to have beautiful sunset pictures. Considering the wedding is totally outside I don't want it to be too dark for people to enjoy themselves, but I don't want it to be too hot during the ceremony. I originally had thought 5 for the ceremony but I read online that was the worst time to have a summer wedding outdoors. Now I am confused. I emailed my photographer but she has yet to get back to me and that was a month ago. I need to order my invitations so I am really nervous about the time. I just want everyone to have fun all night without having the sun setting in their eyes and a sweaty groom.

any advice is greatly appreciated.

I typically did not wait more than one week for a response from a vendor.  There are rare occasions an email gets tossed into a spam folder, so I try to give ONE benefit of a doubt.  I would email your photographer ASAP, and let her know that you are sending a copy of an email sent a MONTH ago.  Close your email with a statement that tells her you expect a response within X days. 

I second @levioosa's suggestion that there is nothing wrong with ducking out for a FEW minutes at sunset for some pictures.  My daughter did something similar.  During the dancing portion, she and her H went out for a few minutes to enact "leaving" pictures.  No one even realized it.  But again, their time gone was brief.

I am also curious as to your back up plan if weather does not cooperate.  Having a ceremony in "the woods" sounds lovely but also potentially buggy and on uneven terrain.  Do you have something on a wedding website indicating the conditions for your guests?
  • Options
    Yes yes! We have numerous tents rented we will be using regardless, for either rain or shade.
  • Options

It is in a field in the woods so terrain really isn't a problem, most people have been there before but I did add on my wedding website about the location. we have tents and a dance floor. I also have candles and bug spray for people.

Thanks so much guys! I like the thought of ducking out for a few mins to take sunset pictures. I definitely do not want to hold guest up or make them wait to eat or dance, maybe once everyone is fed and dancing we can sneak out. I am still lost on the time though. I guess I am concerned about pictures just during the ceremony and don't want people to have sweaty faces or squinty eyes.

maybe invites say 5:45, start at 6, ceremony done by 6:30, apps and games till 7, 7:15ish, while we get some pics with the bridal party, dinner at 7:30? Is that too late to eat dinner? It's buffet style pig roastish if that makes a difference.  

I guess I will just have to call her. My friend said give her a week to reply and go from there. My experience has been, if they don't get back to you, that means they have some bad news and that is really stressing me out. I like to be prepared and organized and I know she isn't a wedding coordinator, but I know a professional photographer would have good recommendations on times of days for great pictures.

you ladies are the best :)

• Options
    mad_sam said:

It is in a field in the woods so terrain really isn't a problem, most people have been there before but I did add on my wedding website about the location. we have tents and a dance floor. I also have candles and bug spray for people.

Thanks so much guys! I like the thought of ducking out for a few mins to take sunset pictures. I definitely do not want to hold guest up or make them wait to eat or dance, maybe once everyone is fed and dancing we can sneak out. I am still lost on the time though. I guess I am concerned about pictures just during the ceremony and don't want people to have sweaty faces or squinty eyes.

maybe invites say 5:45, start at 6, ceremony done by 6:30, apps and games till 7, 7:15ish, while we get some pics with the bridal party, dinner at 7:30? Is that too late to eat dinner? It's buffet style pig roastish if that makes a difference.  

I guess I will just have to call her. My friend said give her a week to reply and go from there. My experience has been, if they don't get back to you, that means they have some bad news and that is really stressing me out. I like to be prepared and organized and I know she isn't a wedding coordinator, but I know a professional photographer would have good recommendations on times of days for great pictures.

you ladies are the best :)

The invitation time and the start time need to be the same.
  • Options

Start your schedule backwards. The times I'm listing are just to give examples. You'll need to figure out for yourself how much time you want to allow for each item.

11:00 PM   Reception end

8:30-9:00 Sunset photos (it won't take this long but you can adjust this as the sunsets)

8:00 Dancing starts

6:30 Dinner

5:30 Cocktail hour

5:00 Ceremony

4:30  Freshen up

4:00  Prewedding photos

and so on with time allot for eatting lunch, hair, transportation, getting dressed, etc.

• Options
    thanks everyone for your help! I have finally figured it out!!!!! Couldn't do it without your advice!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards