DIY Wedding Forum

Mixed China for Wedding?

Hello All! I am searching for mixed vintage china for my wedding in July.  I am only buying mixed china dinner plates to leave on the table and I am having my caterer do stations.  I don't want my guests to carry their plates up to the stations and I do not want to have to rent another set of plates.  I was thinking of buying "plastic" china to leave up at the stations for people to use and bring back to the table and use, then they can set the "plastic" china on top of the mixed china.  The mixed china would almost then act as chargers.  What are everyone's thoughts on doing the "plastic"?  Any other suggestions?

Re: Mixed China for Wedding?

• I think it all depends on the quality of the plastic. If you use excellent quality, then it's a fine idea.
  • It strikes me as odd. A place setting in front of me with a plate I shouldn't use?
    I would guess people will use them, because when there's a plate at your place setting, you use it. 
    If a place setting requires explanations or instructions, it's probably best to skip it. 
  • It strikes me as odd. A place setting in front of me with a plate I shouldn't use?
    I would guess people will use them, because when there's a plate at your place setting, you use it. 
    If a place setting requires explanations or instructions, it's probably best to skip it. 
    ^This.

You're going to have a lot of people trying to use them anyways.  People are going to get up from their seats and bring the plate with them, and then be confused when they get to the station to find plastic-ware.  While it would look pretty, I don't think this is your best plate option. 

• Honestly, with stations involved, people are most likely going to think they're supposed to take their plate up with them, because that's the most logical course of action. You're going to seriously complicate this and confuse people with this plastic dinnerware thing. 

Why can't they just take the plate up there? 
    Hello All! I am searching for mixed vintage china for my wedding in July.  I am only buying mixed china dinner plates to leave on the table and I am having my caterer do stations.  I don't want my guests to carry their plates up to the stations and I do not want to have to rent another set of plates.  I was thinking of buying "plastic" china to leave up at the stations for people to use and bring back to the table and use, then they can set the "plastic" china on top of the mixed china.  The mixed china would almost then act as chargers.  What are everyone's thoughts on doing the "plastic"?  Any other suggestions?

• plainjane0415plainjane0415 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited January 2015
    esstee33 said:
    Honestly, with stations involved, people are most likely going to think they're supposed to take their plate up with them, because that's the most logical course of action. You're going to seriously complicate this and confuse people with this plastic dinnerware thing. 

Why can't they just take the plate up there? 

This, and if you don't want them to do that, then I think your only other option would be to have the plates at the stations/buffet tables.  Which wouldn't be the end of the world.

ETA:  Having plates on the table that you can't eat off of makes no sense to me.  Also, chargers I don't understand.. They look pretty, but in my opinion are a waste of money. I just don't think you should spend the money on two sets of plates.

• Are you buying the mixed china? How many guests do you have? 

I tend to agree that people will be somewhat confused. I actually do like the look of chargers, but chargers are pretty distinctive as such and are definitely an "extra". 
  • Sorry honey.  I love the idea of mixed china but I have to agree. People will be confused.  Could you do mixed chargers instead?  Or mixed china cake plates?

I think really strong plastic should be fine especially since people may be getting up for 2nds or going to different stations at different times.
  • I agree with PPs. I think the only way around this would be to get good quality clear plastic plates. Set them on top of the china plates so you can still see the china. Guests will most likely pick up the clear plastic plate to go eat, and you can have extra plates at the stations. 

But, that doesn't guarantee that people won't still use the china plates anyway. And it will still make things a bit more complicated than it needs to be. I love the look of mixed china, but why can't the guests just eat off of them? 

You can usually find some really pretty china plates at second-hand stores for very cheap. If you're worried about them being dropped or something, buy a few extras (which I would recommend anyway just in case) and don't spend a lot of money on them.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards