Destination Weddings Discussions

Destination Wedding Invitations

Hello!  We are looking to do a "Save the Date" for our DW, but I am thinking of having a link to our website for RSVP so we can send full invitations to those who originally RSVP.  I want to do more of a packet of info with our formal invitations but don't want to send that to those who we are inviting (for formality) but most likely will not attend.

Has anyone had any luck with this or have any suggestions?  

Re: Destination Wedding Invitations

• Giving a link with information is fine.  But if you send a STD, you need to send an invitation.  Either send everything, or only the invitation to every single person.  Personally I only sent out the invitation.  Our guests have our website, which is exactly where we posted all relevant details. Anything additional that is important, I'd email.  Things change in between the STD going out and a formal invitation, so you can't really go off that.
  • Lots of people won't use the online RSVP.  We tried that, not as an invitation thing, but as a "if you're there, let us know". Very few used it.  We sent invites to everyone about 2 months out, but lots of people told us ahead of time if they could make it or not.  We still sent invites to those who said no as you never know who will change their mind last minute.  A couple of our guests did go from not going to going in that time.  

• I agree with above. Also, no matter what people say after STDs go out, who actually makes it and who won't could vary wildly. So anyone who gets a STD should get an invitation. As for the "packet of info" don't include that with the invitation. Put it on your website, include it in an e-mail, or mail it later to confirmed guests closer to the event.  
    "There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness." -Friedrich Nietzsche, "On Reading and Writing"
  • Ditto PPs that an invite has to be sent to everyone who gets a STD.  Not to mention, you'll likely have a lot of people who truly don't know if they're able to go by the time the invites come out.  

We sent a postcard STD about 10 months ahead of time with the website where we put the bulk of the information.  And then we sent the full packet of information from our travel agent (once airline prices were out) via email to everyone individually about six months before.  And then we sent the formal invites two months before the actual wedding.  
  • saric83 - can you tell me if you sent the postcards, the packet of info for travel and then a formal invite to your whole list?  I appreciate all of the info, we are trying to minimize our costs as we know many will appreciate being invited but won't attend, so balancing all of that right now.

Thanks so much!!
  • I just sent STDs that included our wedding website for our December destination wedding and I'm planning on getting all the "booklet" information uploaded on there so people can print and view as needed. by then we will have a good idea of who is coming and we will email additional information for those who will confirm their attendance. Similar to @saric83

• Also, we will send formal invitations 2 or 3 months before the wedding.

• saric83 - can you tell me if you sent the postcards, the packet of info for travel and then a formal invite to your whole list?  I appreciate all of the info, we are trying to minimize our costs as we know many will appreciate being invited but won't attend, so balancing all of that right now.

Thanks so much!!
    We did send all three things to everyone.  The postcards were pretty cheap, and the travel packet was free since it was email. :) 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards