Moms and Maids

Do I have to buy a gift for my future Mother-in-law?

I have 9 months until my wedding and my FMIL is not part of the wedding.  I don't think she will be coming to the wedding at all.  My question is do I still have to buy a gift for her or try to include her in anything if she doesn't show interest in the wedding thus far?  She even refuses to talk to my FH which drives me crazy.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks :)

Re: Do I have to buy a gift for my future Mother-in-law?

• I wouldn't try to force a relationship.  It also sounds like there is a rift between her and your FI, and it's not your place to get involved in it.  If she comes to the wedding I would get her a corsage, but that would be it. 

• No. If you are getting a corsage for both mothers, have one for her. But there is no tradition of buying a gift for your future MIL and I can't imagine why you would want to give a gift to someone who is currently being nasty to you and to her own son.

If you want to give a gift to your mother, a thank you for her love and support, there is no need to give one to unpleasant MIL who is being neither loving nor supportive. So don't let not giving one to MIL stop you if you want a gift for your own mother.
  • No. There isn't a requirement that you give your parents or ILs gifts at all, let alone to hostile ones who aren't attending the wedding. Feel free to give a gift just to your mother.
  • Thank you for all the replies!!  Very helpful!!
  • I have never heard of buying parents gifts.  Also, I wouldn't get involved in the relationship between your husband his mother.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards