Wedding Recap and Withdrawal

I think she's going through withdrawal

A friend of mine got married 3 years ago, civil ceremony, had her PPD this year now she wants to plan this over the top new Years party for 2012.

She is getting a DJ, sit down dinner, photographer- pretty much everything for a wedding just for this party.

She spent about 25k on her wedding and is willing to spend that amount again. She wants to charge people $300 to get into her party- just so she can make the money back plus get a profit.

I told her she was going through withdrawal and I think she is obsessed with planning parties.

She now wants to become a wedding planner/ event planner and is going to school for it now- the thing is she doesnt have any money for any of this. Not for college, not for throwing a party, nothing.

Does this sound like someone going through withdrawal? Does she need a kick in the face and have someone tell her to just calm down. I think it's great she's going to school, but choose scool and don't do a party.

Also her wedding wasn't great... the venue screwed up a bit, it wasn't her vision- so I think this party is a way for her to have a re do.

Should I just be supportive, sit back and watch all of this take place or try to snap some sense into her?

Re: I think she's going through withdrawal

• Anyone that would try to charge me $300 to go to a party would no longer be my friend. End of story.

Cute puppy, by the way!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-recap-withdrawal_think-shes-going-through-withdrawal?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:12Discussion:0cbc2cd7-d574-40b7-9ece-ba1cd12fae33Post:7aa0a4f8-4823-4bd0-98d3-3efbf2f1828e">Re: I think she's going through withdrawal</a>:
    [QUOTE]Anyone that would try to charge me $300 to go to a party would no longer be my friend. End of story. Cute puppy, by the way!
    Posted by rlavach[/QUOTE]

<div>Ditto. I'd laugh and walk away.</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-recap-withdrawal_think-shes-going-through-withdrawal?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:12Discussion:0cbc2cd7-d574-40b7-9ece-ba1cd12fae33Post:7aa0a4f8-4823-4bd0-98d3-3efbf2f1828e">Re: I think she's going through withdrawal</a>:
    [QUOTE]Anyone that would try to charge me $300 to go to a party would no longer be my friend. End of story. <strong>Cute puppy, by the way!</strong>
    Posted by rlavach[/QUOTE]

Thanks!

oh and btw, I already told her that I would not be coming to her party.....I wouldn't go to a NYE's party even if it was 50 bucks. I can drink and eat at home for nothing while watching a ball drop thanks...
  • I don't think you are supposed to pay for a party a friend throws.  Am I being obtuse? Is she really testing out rates and cover charges for her close friends who she wants to celebrate New Years with?

I usually bring wine or a dessert. Not a chec
  • Your friend may have deeper issues than just wedding withdrawal lol.. Maybe she's trying to prove something to someone? That is beyond excessive and not even celebrities would do that... if you THROW a party, there is not admission unless its a ball or charity event.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Maybe instead of just showing her the math (that she would need at least 84 people willing to show up and fork over the dough, which is incredibly unlikely), you could suggest that she volunteer with a charitable organization and help them plan fundraising events.  Maybe she just wants some more experience with party planning while still in school and helping a charity of her choice would certainly be a more productive use of her energies.  I think you should definitely give her a reality check regarding the party though, because unless she has a lot of seriously wealthy friends, she is going to have a lonely new years party. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • 3 Years ago... I dont know if that is still withdrawl from planning her wedding. After 3 years you would think she would have settled into married life by now.

$300 is ridiculus! I dont know anyone that would pay that much to go to a New Years Party!
  • lindseyann410lindseyann410 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, that's ridiculous that she wants to charge her friends such an exorbant amount just because she wants to throw a party.  I would be shocked if anyone came.  It's beyond rude.

ETA:  Is she planning onwearing a fancy white dress?  Is she trying to make it all about her?  If yes to either of these things, then that is really bizarre and AWish.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • First of all may I just say I would never pay $300.00 to attend ANY party! thats ridiculous! And also she has more than just withdrawl it sounds like! Who would drop all that money just to throw a party when they dont have the money to spend?!?!?

• This girl has lost her mind if she thinks its acceptable to charge a guest to get into the party she is hosting!  That is beyond rude.  I'm glad you aren't going!

In terms of being able to afford all this (non-wedding party and school) you can be concerned for your friend, but I don't think it is your place to say anything.  If it comes up you can express your concern, but beyond that she is a big girl and can make her own choices.  However, it is possible she is getting a student loan for school, that is totally normal.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers

image 225 Invited so far!
    image 148 Are ready to party!
    image 77 Will be missing out!
    image 0 Are MIA!
  • How can she charge people to come to her party? That's nuts!
    BabyFruit Ticker www.MyVacationCountdown.com Ticker
  • She's crazy if she thinks people are actually going to show up. And if anyone does, it wont be enough for a good party.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-recap-withdrawal_think-shes-going-through-withdrawal?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:12Discussion:0cbc2cd7-d574-40b7-9ece-ba1cd12fae33Post:8abfb706-ff60-4e10-9e14-2058d978f816">I think she's going through withdrawal</a>:
    [QUOTE]A friend of mine got married 3 years ago, civil ceremony, had her PPD this year now she wants to plan this over the top new Years party for 2012. She is getting a DJ, sit down dinner, photographer- pretty much everything for a wedding just for this party. She spent about 25k on her wedding and is willing to spend that amount again. She wants to charge people $300 to get into her party- just so she can make the money back plus get a profit. I told her she was going through withdrawal and I think she is obsessed with planning parties. She now wants to become a wedding planner/ event planner and is going to school for it now- the thing is she doesnt have any money for any of this. Not for college, not for throwing a party, nothing. Does this sound like someone going through withdrawal? Does she need a kick in the face and have someone tell her to just calm down. I think it's great she's going to school, but choose scool and don't do a party. Also her wedding wasn't great... the venue screwed up a bit, it wasn't her vision- so I think this party is a way for her to have a re do. Should I just be supportive, sit back and watch all of this take place or try to snap some sense into her?
    Posted by TwoByTwilight[/QUOTE]

I was taught that the number one no-no when planning a get-together of any kind is to charge for it. And 300 bucks? NO EFFING WAY! Just let her make her own mistakes. She'll figure it out.
  • Good grief.  She needs help.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards