Wedding Etiquette Forum

Inviting to ceremony and not reception? HELP!

Re: Inviting to ceremony and not reception? HELP!

• shellc104 said:
    Saying I'm not special and calling my idea "Shitty" isn't rude? Really?
    You aren't special though. Just because you don't like to hear it doesn't make it rude. Saying it's a shitty idea is blunt, and maybe some would consider it rude, but the ladies on here are tired of people coming on with the same bad ideas and having to say over and over that the bad ideas are bad no matter what the situation. Just because you really like the venue doesn't make it okay to only invite people to half the wedding.
    This. I'd be willing to bet that 90% of us on here (and in general) were working with a strict budget. Most women here also probably had "dream" venues that didn't work out. Therefore you are not special. A bad idea is a bad idea, regardless of how you word it. You asked how to word it, if you do decide to go with your bad idea. Ever heard the phrase about putting lipstick on a pig?
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • shellc104 said:
    If you're so tired of saying over and over that it's a bad idea, how about you don't even read them and reply?
    Because sometimes, people do take the advice (I was one of those people). And also because the users on this board really do want to help brides and grooms to be put on the best wedding possible. And the best wedding possible includes making your guests feel welcomed and properly hosted.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• shellc104 said:
    I actually thanked everyone else for the input except for the one person who was actually really being rude when I said I didn't want any rude input!
    Welcome to the internet. Have you been before? You can't tell people what to say or how to respond.

They're giving you ETIQUETTE rules. Not opinions. Nobody on here will dole out poor etiquette advice. We are sorry it wasn't the response you were hoping for, but that doesn't mean it's wrong or rude or just an opinion.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • No.    

And how hard is it to count all your family upfront?   I'm serious, I've seen these questions and it blows my mind how people do not know how to count how many people are in their family.  

And I'm pretty insulted at the comments about the older people not wanting to hang out until 10 at night.    I had 70, 80 and 90 years olds at my wedding until the 11:30 pm end.  And every one of them were dancing all night.   On the flip side I had some 40 year olds who didn't dance who also left around 10:30pm.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • @lyndausvi...so are the 70,80 and 90 years old's that went to your wedding the same ones that are coming to mine? Because I'm pretty sure you know no one in my family and know nothing about what they do and don't like to do...
  • shellc104 said:
    @lyndausvi...so are the 70,80 and 90 years old's that went to your wedding the same ones that are coming to mine? Because I'm pretty sure you know no one in my family and know nothing about what they do and don't like to do...
    Then why ask for our opinions? (Etiquette is NOT opinion based, let's be clear) if nobody knows your family like you, which is true, why come to an etiquette board and ask for help if we're just not going to understand?

• edited January 2015
    shellc104 said:
    @lyndausvi...so are the 70,80 and 90 years old's that went to your wedding the same ones that are coming to mine? Because I'm pretty sure you know no one in my family and know nothing about what they do and don't like to do...
    Doesn't make it right to invite them to one and not the other. You're not going to be able to justify making a rude decision. So either make it and own it or stop trying.

But I think you know in your gut that it's wrong and that's why you posted here. And it's a hard thing to do because you don't want to give up your vision (trust me, I've been there), so you're making excuses as to why your situation is different. It's not. I'm a firm believer in doing what you want as long as you are willing to accept the consequences. So go ahead and invite some to the wedding and not the reception. But even if we told you it was okay, that wouldn't mean your guests would be cool with it, and one of the consequences would be dealing with them.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I don't believe I ever said I wasn't going to invite any old people to my reception in the first place...My grandmother was one of the examples I was thinking all because she lives in a house for people with dementia and she has a curfew anyway! Hence the fact she wouldn't be able to stay out late if she wanted to! I'm not making the choice for her, the house that she lives in is
  • OP-- you're not going to win here. With how you want your wedding to pan out, you're inviting who you believe are your most important guests to watch you get married, and then inviting who you believe aren't as important to come to your reception and bring gifts. It's rude, period. No Knottie here on the etiquette board is going to give you the thumb's up and tell you this is okay to do.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• shellc104 said:
    I don't believe I ever said I wasn't going to invite any old people to my reception in the first place...My grandmother was one of the examples I was thinking all because she lives in a house for people with dementia and she has a curfew anyway! Hence the fact she wouldn't be able to stay out late if she wanted to! I'm not making the choice for her, the house that she lives in is
    So invite her to both, if you want to stick to etiquette, and then let her leave when she needs to. Some guests might do this out of desire or otherwise. But that does not make it okay to invite her to one but not the other. NOTHING will make it okay. Even if she told you, "I only want to come to the ceremony," it would not make it okay to only invite her to that.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• shellc104 said:
    Telling someone they shouldn't have a ceremony or reception and if they did, "those poor poor poor people...." 

So what I'm gathering here is that you think no one should be rude to you, but you're all gravy to be rude/sarcastic to others and put them down. Makes sense....
    Well, her situation is different, because she ASKED people to not be rude.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• shellc104 said:
    Like I said, no need for the rude comments, I'm not trying to "Sprinkle glitter" on it and I don't think I'm special what so ever, I actually think I'm quite the opposite... I'm asking for a simple opinion, if you can't just give it to me, you can take your rude opinions elsewhere @ShesSoCold...and with an inability to read instructions (ie, the fact I didn't want anyone to be rude) and with an attitude like that, I would suggest you invite no one to your ceremony NOR your reception...and if you're already married...those poor poor people...
    Everyone else, thank you for your respectful opinions, we are going to have to do some figuring out I guess! : )
    Instructions?! 
  • shellc104 said:
    If you're so tired of saying over and over that it's a bad idea, how about you don't even read them and reply?
    Because the internet doesn't work that way.  Anyone can post, therefore, anyone can respond (how they see fit, I might add).  It's great!
  • shellc104 said:
    What response were you looking for OP? Serious question.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • shellc104 said:
    Telling someone they shouldn't have a ceremony or reception and if they did, "those poor poor poor people...." 

So what I'm gathering here is that you think no one should be rude to you, but you're all gravy to be rude/sarcastic to others and put them down. Makes sense....
    Yes, I figured since everyone was being rude to me, I may as well be rude right back, why should I be nice when I asked for respect and didn't get it?
  • shellc104 said:
    shellc104 said:

Yes, I figured since everyone was being rude to me, I may as well be rude right back, why should I be nice when I asked for respect and didn't get it?
    I don't think you know what "respect" entails.

@ShesSoCold told you you had a bad idea, in a way that didn't strike your fancy. Anyone can have a bad idea. You responded with wishing her ill. That makes you the first one to cross any sort of lines.
  • shellc104 said:
    Did I say I wanted her to respond?
  • shellc104 said:
    shellc104 said:
    I think she meant to your OP. What did you expect people to say about this ceremony-only invite idea?
  • shellc104 said:
    shellc104 said:

No one was rude to you.
  • shellc104 said:
    shellc104 said:

Yes, very very mature. This attitude will take you far. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever

• shellc104 said:
    My guess: 

"Your situation is sooooo different. Since you were unable to properly count the number of people in your family, it makes TOTAL sense that you would have booked a venue that wouldn't fit everyone. Since you had zero foresight and planned poorly, OF COURSE standard etiquette doesn't apply to you. 

Definitely show your family/friends who's important by not hosting some people and throwing a party for others. It's ok because it's YOUR super special day and this situation is TOTALLY different than stuff that gets posted here EVERY DAY!"
    I never said my situation was different did I? I simply asked for opinions on the situation...I also never said that I have booked a venue that is too small, considering I haven't even booked it yet, I said there was another option for us...I am simply trying to get an opinion on the situation as it is right now before we go and meet with the venue to make our final decisions...But apparently it is too much to ask to get some straight, respectful input...there's always got to be people that have to be rude and say I'm not special and my idea is "Shitty"...Couldn't just say "Yes, ShellC, that would be rude"
  • shellc104 said:
    shellc104 said:
    Wait, you mean paging me and asking a question means you didn't want a respond?

Is it opposite day?

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards