Chit Chat
Options

Disneyland

Has anyone else been following the measles outbreak that they are saying is linked to Disneyland? I think they said there was something like 64 cases. Yet people will still insist on not getting their kids do vaccinated.

Re: Disneyland

• Options
    What is scary is all those infected people didn't just go do Disneyland.  Sure 64 have been tracked to Disney, but how many have the measles, were not at Disney but were unknowingly around those infected at another location?   

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    lyndausvi said:
    What is scary is all those infected people didn't just go do Disneyland.  Sure 64 have been tracked to Disney, but how many have the measles, were not at Disney but were unknowingly around those infected at another location?   

That is a scary thought. I just don't get it.
  • Options
    Being so close to Dland, this has been all over my FB feed (well, not so much anymore, it's kind of died down).
  • Options
    I'm going to Disneyland in two weeks, measles be damned!!

Saw this article the other day... Perfectly sums up the I choose not to vaccinate crap...

http://www.theonion.com/articles/i-dont-vaccinate-my-child-because-its-my-right-to,37839/
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    bethsmilesbethsmiles member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2015
    I was just talking about this with SO. Anti-Vaxers infuriate both of us. I read in one article that some schools in California are telling un-vaccinated children to stay home because of the outbreak. I hope that is more of a demand than request, the article didn't really elaborate on it. But I know schools have banned un-vaccinated children from school during outbreaks before.

• Options
    lyndausvi said:
    It has been all over the local news here, especially since some of those 64 have been brought into urgent care centers in SD. The centers have to be temporarily shut down and the patients exposed have been quarantined if they are not vaccinated. Almost daily we hear about yet another urgent care center that was shut down because of someone bringing their child to one, and they keep stressing to call the urgent care center first so they can take the necessary precautions instead of exposing everyone in the waiting room to it by just showing up.

• Options
    lyndausvi said:
    It has been all over the local news here, especially since some of those 64 have been brought into urgent care centers in SD. The centers have to be temporarily shut down and the patients exposed have been quarantined if they are not vaccinated. Almost daily we hear about yet another urgent care center that was shut down because of someone bringing their child to one, and they keep stressing to call the urgent care center first so they can take the necessary precautions instead of exposing everyone in the waiting room to it by just showing up.

Self absorbed stupid people. I mean seriously what the fuck is wrong with these people that they think that is even remotely ok.
  • Options
    @jdluvr06 I know! The level of ignorance is astounding.

• Options
    Ugh so irritating. I had my MMR and chicken pox antibodies checked before TTC so I could get any boosters needed ahead of time to pass some protection on to future spawn...I don't even have kids yet and I'm a better Mom than these assholes.
    Thank you for the reminder. I never got boosters as an adult because, duh, herd immunity. Most adults didn't need boosters until all this Jenny McCarthy anti-vax bullshit.

Anyway, I've been meaning to ask my doctor if I should get the MMR and Tdap boosters. I had chickenpox when I was a kid (twice!) so I'm fairly sure I'm in the clear for that one. :P
  • Options
    rcher912 said:
    OH MY GOD VACCINATE YOUR CHILDREN PEOPLE. It is so irresponsible not to. 

I watched House for the first couple of seasons, and there's one random scene where he's talking to a young couple with a small baby who doesn't plan on getting the baby vaccinated because they believe "big pharma" is just big business trying to sell them crap that might sicken the child. He then proceeds to tell them that baby coffins are also big business, and it's really up to them which to pay for. 

Never forgot that scene. 

And don't even think to state that they cause autism. I'll go all Exorcist up in here (head spinning, pea soup and all that).
    I have been thinking of that House scene all week.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    Ugh so irritating. I had my MMR and chicken pox antibodies checked before TTC so I could get any boosters needed ahead of time to pass some protection on to future spawn...I don't even have kids yet and I'm a better Mom than these assholes.
    Thank you for the reminder. I never got boosters as an adult because, duh, herd immunity. Most adults didn't need boosters until all this Jenny McCarthy anti-vax bullshit.

Anyway, I've been meaning to ask my doctor if I should get the MMR and Tdap boosters. I had chickenpox when I was a kid (twice!) so I'm fairly sure I'm in the clear for that one. :P

This isn't exactly true. Protection can fade over time. It is hard for scientists to determine how often people need to update boosters because it takes years and a lot of money to figure out how long immunity lasts. I got vaccinated against hepatitis b when I was 12 and needed a booster at 25 because I didn't have enough antibodies to protect me if I had occupational exposure. Like you said, if everyone that can be vaccinated is vaccinated then it isn't a big deal if protection starts to wane because you are unlikely to come in contact with an infected person. I've been following the outbreak with interest and anger. As a virologist and immunologist I truly believe that not vaccinating your kids is one of the worst, most selfish things you can do.

Anniversary
  • Options

This isn't exactly true. Protection can fade over time. It is hard for scientists to determine how often people need to update boosters because it takes years and a lot of money to figure out how long immunity lasts. I got vaccinated against hepatitis b when I was 12 and needed a booster at 25 because I didn't have enough antibodies to protect me if I had occupational exposure. Like you said, if everyone that can be vaccinated is vaccinated then it isn't a big deal if protection starts to wane because you are unlikely to come in contact with an infected person. I've been following the outbreak with interest and anger. As a virologist and immunologist I truly believe that not vaccinating your kids is one of the worst, most selfish things you can do.
    That's pretty much what I said, though. :) Most adults didn't need boosters because of the herd immunity you mentioned. I realize antibodies can fade, but again, it wasn't as big a deal unless there was a reason to get re-vaccinated (having kids, etc).

Now that people aren't vaccinating, herd immunity is null and void. Grrrrr.
  • Options
    I did that too. It just makes sense you know?
  • Options
    jdluvr06 said:

Yup. I can't leave the health of future spawn up to trust in other people. I'll be checking vaccination records at the door, thanks. Cousin, that means your kids are banned from my vicinity.

• Options
    I just read an article that says this measles outbreak has spread to seven states, due to infected kids returning home.

Unbelievable.

And the anti-vaxxers are still spewing nonsense. I could just slap people right now.
  • Options
    jdluvr06 said:

Anniversary
  • Options
    My good friends son just had a live transplant (7 months).  He can't be immunized cos the of rejection drugs.  To watch what they have gone through with their kid for the first year of his life, I'd be so pissed to see them go through hum being sick cos parents of a healthy kid refuse to vaccinate.  He needs the herd immunity to protect him.  Makes me so angry.  

• Options
    manateehuggermanateehugger member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2015
    My good friends son just had a live transplant (7 months).  He can't be immunized cos the of rejection drugs.  To watch what they have gone through with their kid for the first year of his life, I'd be so pissed to see them go through hum being sick cos parents of a healthy kid refuse to vaccinate.  He needs the herd immunity to protect him.  Makes me so angry.  

The stories from parents with immunocompromised kids and parents of cancer patients make me so blindly angry. Pure ignorance and selfishness is posing a huge risk to the most innocent members of our population: the very young and elderly and the immunocompromised.

I wonder if the idiocy movement has been able to take hold in part because because the newest generation of parents (myself included) never lived in a world where measles could blind your elementary student and polio could put your high school student in a wheelchair for the rest of their lives. Vaccines are becoming the victims of their own success, I think.

Edited for spelling.

• Options

The stories from parents with immunocompromised kids and parents of cancer patients make me so blindly angry. Pure ignorance and selfishness is posing a huge risk to the most innocent members of our population: the very young and elderly and the immunocompromised.

I wonder if the idiocy movement has been able to take hold in part because because the newest generation of parents (myself included) never lived in a world where mesaels could blind your elementary student and polio could put your high school student in a wheelchair for the rest of their lives. Vaccines are becoming the victims of their own success, I think.

I wonder that too. My parents remember kids who had polio, mumps, whooping cough, etc. Vaccinating us wasn't even a question.
  • Options
    This topic makes me stabby. My cousin is very anti vax and my friend who just had a baby is also leaning towards not vaccinating the baby. We know it will be at least a year before TTC, but I have already made it very clear to my friend when the time comes my kid will not be allowed around hers until it is old enough to have every damn vaccine. She doesn't seem to understand why there should be any concern and she just doesn't want her kid to end up "retarded".
  • Options
    afox007 said:
    This topic makes me stabby. My cousin is very anti vax and my friend who just had a baby is also leaning towards not vaccinating the baby. We know it will be at least a year before TTC, but I have already made it very clear to my friend when the time comes my kid will not be allowed around hers until it is old enough to have every damn vaccine. She doesn't seem to understand why there should be any concern and she just doesn't want her kid to end up "retarded".
    This attitude disgusts me

• Options
    I don't think anyone posted this 

<clicky

It's a Penn and Teller sketch about vaccines. Very short, but very effective at showing what idiots anti-vaxxers are. 
  • Options
    My friend sent me a FB screen shot of someone saying that measles cures cancer. Because when measles was a big problem there were less people with cancer. But now that people are getting vaxxed people get cancer.

Yep...that sounds super scientific.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards