Destination Weddings Discussions

Vow Renewal - without our own kids?

My husband and I will be celebrating 10 wonderful years together. Our wedding was big and over the top, 300 people southern country club. It lacked all the intimacy that we really wanted, it was everything our dear mothers invisioned. Fast forward 10 years later and we are now planning a vow renewal in Las Vegas in November 2015. I wanted someplace where they would just take care of everything and all we had to do was show up. So we have decided to invite a few friends along for the trip. 7 couples to be exact. Before, when it was just the 2 of us, we didn't think about bringing our kids, age 2 and 5 along. Now however, I'm feeling weird about celebrating our union with friends and not having our sweet daughters to witness it.  The issue lies in, if we bring our kids, then our friends will want to bring theirs too, which means we will probably be bringing a babysitter along for the trip to watch 3-5 kids while we party. Am I wrong to want to leave my own children at home when I'm celebrating the love in which they were made? Also is it wrong to bring my own kids and make the other parents leave theirs at home? I don't know if this is mommy guilt, bridezilla selfishness, or am I making a mountain out of a molehill? Help???

Re: Vow Renewal - without our own kids?

• It's your vow renewal, and you get to choose who is there. I think if you want it to be an adults only event without your children that's just fine. You are entitled to some grown-up time, even if during that time you renew your love for your husband and your children's father. If you want to invite your own children and not the children of others, that is also acceptable (though it may lead to a higher number of declines). Again, it's your event and you can choose to invite who you want. It sounds like you want a stressfree and fun event. Then plan it that way!

"There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness." -Friedrich Nietzsche, "On Reading and Writing"
  • Thanks for the thoughtful perspective.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards