Chit Chat

Wedding photos being published?

Our photog just posted on Facebook that she had submitted two full weddings from last year for publication, and they'd already been accepted at the online bridal magazines to which she'd submitted them. In the comments when someone asked, she mentioned that our wedding was one of them.

Obviously this is something she has the rights to do, but it's a little weird for me. I hope when it comes out, she tells us what magazine it is. It'd be super weird to come on here one day and have us be the "community photo of the day" on TK (which is, of course, back to being not updated daily). 

How would you guys feel about this?

Re: Wedding photos being published?

• That's interesting.   Did the wedding party have to sign a release?   When BIL and SIL's wedding was in a local magazine, both DH and I had to sign paperwork that we were OK with our images being used. 

• banana468 said:
    That's interesting.   Did the wedding party have to sign a release?   When BIL and SIL's wedding was in a local magazine, both DH and I had to sign paperwork that we were OK with our images being used. 

Not that I know of. The contract says that I release my image/name/photography to be used for editorial submissions, but I'm the only name on that contract.

I wonder if that's part of why so many bridal magazines focus on the couple and the detail shots.

• My contract has a clause that the photog is allowed to use our photos for stuff like that if he chooses, and he can put them on his website or show them to other potential clients, etc. It's his work and it's his right to do it, so it doesn't bother me. 

But I'm with you, I'd at least want to know what magazine they were submitted to, just as a courtesy. 
  • Just got an email from her, where she says which two they were. TK is one of them, and it looks like it'd be published in mid-March. She also said a TK rep might contact me soon for more details/comment.
  • I'd be okay with it, especially since I signed a contract giving permission to use our photos that way. 

Can you just email the photographer & ask which publication? 
  • I'd probably want some kind of notice, but I guess if you signed a release there's not much you can do. 

I did make sure to specifically let our photog know that she does NOT have consent to post pictures of the flower girl anywhere - her parents are really strict about her picture ending up on the internet.

• This whole deal led me to search wedding photos with similar attributes to mine and in the same area, just to see what was out there.

Ended up running across a "real wedding" picture on TK which must be pretty old - it was one of the biology teachers at my high school and her husband enjoying a surprise performance by my high school's gospel choir... including some of my HS classmates. This wedding definitely happened my junior or senior year of HS. I'd bet money those classmates don't know their picture's on TK.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards