Chit Chat

Winter food favorites

I decided to make my mom potato leek soup, since I am feeling better and can visit her, now.  She is doing great after her surgery.  I am also making Chicken gruyere sauteed mushroom grilled sandwiches.  (I will let you know how those turn out.)  The soup is really easy to make and absolutely delicious.  What's your favorite winter comfort foods, ladies?

Re: Winter food favorites

• Chili served with sour cream and rice. I'm so making that this weekend.
  • Chili... YUM! I have never had it with sour cream and rice, before. Definitely going to try this :)
  • Cocoa and Toast
    Chili
    Soup in general
    Venison, not that I get it often since neither I nor H hunt, but yay farm to table restaurants.
    Anything in the slow cooker. ANYTHING.

Anniversary
  • Oh man we had the best grilled venison loin the other night. BIL and FIL got I think three deer between them this past season.

Otherwise... anything with butternut squash. Pasta, lasagna, soup, just roasted, yum.

• A pot roast with carrots, onions, and potatoes over mashed potatoes or rice. I crave comfort food in the winter.

Plus, I love making sandwiches with the leftover meat. 

• Lamb stew, chicken pot pie, beef stroganoff, or smothered pork chops in homemade gravy with mashed potatoes and green beans. Pretty much any comfort food that wouldn't be too good to eat in the summer when it's hot outside. 
  • maeday2 said:
    A pot roast with carrots, onions, and potatoes over mashed potatoes or rice. I crave comfort food in the winter.

Plus, I love making sandwiches with the leftover meat. 

That's my favorite leftovers! I toast bread, caramelize some onions, and put some cheddar cheese on top of the heated up pot roast to melt it. Best sandwich EVER! 
  • Beef and noodles over mashed potatoes, cheeseburger soup, chicken and noodles... lasagna, goulash.... chili. All winter favorites.

• Soup - just in general
    Paninis
    Anything in the slow cooker (I see you @chibiyui)
    Roasted veggies 
    Mac and chesse - obviously
    *********************************************************************************

• Homemade vegetable soup
    Chili beans with sour cream, cheese, and rice
    Chicken pie
    Beef stew

• Y'all put potatoes and noodles ON POTATOES?

• Mac and cheese
    Soup...all the soup
    Rich pastas (holla mushrooms!)

Pretty much anything with 1000+ calories per serving. 
  • Soup - just in general
    Paninis
    Anything in the slow cooker (I see you @chibiyui)
    Roasted veggies 
    Mac and chesse - obviously
    oooh I forgot roasted veggies! Love them! ALL the roasted veggies!
  • soup
    chili- lots of sour cream and cheddar cheese.

• Beef stew
    Cheesy Potato Soup
    Mac and Cheese

• I don't much care for gourds or legumes, so that X's out a lot of classic winter stuff.

But I do like potatoes and root vegetables.
    I like tomato soup and potato soups.
    Meat chili is tasty.

I tend to really crave salads and BBQ though, so winter foods aren't really my thing.
  • Grilled cheese on either sourdough or my Mom's homemade bread (but I'm not that picky, just about any bread will do).

Cheesy Potato Soup
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • Does anyone have a recipe they like for beanless chili? Or regular recipe that I could omit beans. I hate beans but I'd love to try a chili sometime. I just googled but there were so many with varying ingredients so I have no idea which ones are good.

• jenna8984 said:

Does anyone have a recipe they like for beanless chili? Or regular recipe that I could omit beans. I hate beans but I'd love to try a chili sometime. I just googled but there were so many with varying ingredients so I have no idea which ones are good.

I never use a recipe... just throw shit in a pot. More chili powder than you think is reasonable.

• jenna8984 said:

Does anyone have a recipe they like for beanless chili? Or regular recipe that I could omit beans. I hate beans but I'd love to try a chili sometime. I just googled but there were so many with varying ingredients so I have no idea which ones are good.

I never use a recipe... just throw shit in a pot. More chili powder than you think is reasonable.
    Box
    I've never made it and I'm a novice. So I literally don't even know what would go in it or what chili powder even is.... Haa

• bacon Mac and cheese. If I'm feeling fancy, truffle that shit up. And any kind of grilled cheese sandwiches. Pretty much anything Involving cheese.
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• edited January 2015
    jenna8984 said:

jenna8984 said:

Box
    I've never made it and I'm a novice. So I literally don't even know what would go in it or what chili powder even is.... Haa
    ...oh. Lol.

Go to the spice aisle and look for a premixed chili kit. That'll be easier. Then just use more meat in place of the beans it calls for.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards