Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Mashed Potato Bar Toppings

We're having a mashed potato bar as part of our meal (chicken, potato bar, salad, rolls). We have the basic toppings (butter, sour cream, chives, salt, bacon, cheese, gravy) on our list, but what other toppings can y'all think of? My FMIL suggested chicken nuggets torn apart and I gagged when she said that. 

And of course the gravy is white... that's how we do it in the south!

Re: Mashed Potato Bar Toppings

• I would offer a few different cheese...bleu, parm, cheddar are good options.

Have you thought about also having mashed sweet potatoes?  You could have marshmallows, brown sugar, and pecans as topping options.

And since you are in the south, what about grits as an added option to your bar as well?

As for our FMIL suggestion, ripped apart chicken nuggets just does not sound appetizing.  Popcorn chicken on the other hand could work.

• Broccoli
    Sauteed Mushrooms
    French fried onions
    beef tips
    BBQ pork or chicken
    several types of cheese including cheddar, parmesan, pepper jack, cheese sauce
    green onions
    roasted red peppers
    roasted garlic
    corn
    caramelized onions
    horseradish
    pesto
    other steamed or sauteed vegetables
    diced rotisserie chicken or sliced chicken sausage
  • I would offer a few different cheese...bleu, parm, cheddar are good options.

Have you thought about also having mashed sweet potatoes?  You could have marshmallows, brown sugar, and pecans as topping options.

And since you are in the south, what about grits as an added option to your bar as well?

As for our FMIL suggestion, ripped apart chicken nuggets just does not sound appetizing.  Popcorn chicken on the other hand could work.
    Ditto Maggie - adding grits is an awesome idea if you can do it! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards