Registry and Gift Forum

Honeymoon Registry

My man and I could care less about house stuff - there may be about ten things we want but nothing else really.  What we really want is to take a honeymoon to Japan - where his family is from.  It's not kosher to ask for money. Are there ways to get a Japanese honeymoon instead?  We wouldn't have to go super expensive as I have several Japanese students and friends and we have his family.  

Re: Honeymoon Registry

• For so many reasons, skip the honeymoon fund. Just don't register for stuff, and people will get the hint. No one needs to be told cash is a good gift.

FWIW, we did register, and 95% of our wedding gifts were cash.
  • Just don't register.

We got gifts for our shower (the whole point of the shower) and 95% cash for the wedding with a registry.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • dvdplayer said:
    My man and I could care less about house stuff - there may be about ten things we want but nothing else really.  What we really want is to take a honeymoon to Japan - where his family is from.  It's not kosher to ask for money. Are there ways to get a Japanese honeymoon instead?  We wouldn't have to go super expensive as I have several Japanese students and friends and we have his family.  
    The way to politely indicate that you would appreciate cash is to simply not register.  People will figure it out (and then choose whether or not they're comfortable giving you cash).  If anybody asks you directly where you're registered you can say "We didn't register because we don't need anything, but we are saving for our honeymoon to Japan."

• I agree with PPs. I had a small wedding and H and I created a small registry for our shower. There were still some items on it after, but we only received one non-cash gift at the wedding.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Unfortunately registering for a honeymoon fund IS asking for money.  Would you ask people to fund any other vacation?  If you don't register, people almost always get the hint and give cash instead.  If they do ask about your registry you can say, "Oh, we don't have one, but we are saving up for our honeymoon in Japan."  

In addition, honeymoon funds take up to 7% of the money given as a surcharge.  Since your guests will know to give cash anyways, wouldn't you rather have the full $100 instead of $93?  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards