Chit Chat
Options

Home Outfitters Registry Rant

So I went to that Wedding Show I was telling ya'll about and it was fine and dandy. I entered in a ton of contests for a ton of things. One of those contests was at Home Outfitters - we would win a honeymoon or $10,000.00 cash.

Fast forward to yesterday when I received a phone call from Home Outfitters saying they had finished pre-registering for me, and my registry was available online. I was confused because I definitely did not register with them.  I called them and spoke with the manager, who told me that I should have been told that with entering the contest, I had also agreed to them pre-registering me for a bunch of items (including a $130.00 2 slice toaster. Who spends $130.00 on a TOASTER?)

Anyway... I told him I wasn't aware of that, and I would like the registry removed. He said no. I was like umm. excuse me. What do you mean no? "You entered the contest, you agreed."

What the hell. Does anyone have any ideas how to go about getting it removed?

Thanks guys.

Re: Home Outfitters Registry Rant

• Options
    I don't know about removing it if you contractually agreed, but maybe you could make it private so no one else could access it? 

• Options
    What do the contest rules state? You gotta read the fine print bro.
  • Options
    It was my fault, because the contest rules weren't given to me but I didn't ask for them either. I just wish they'd be more co-operative.
  • Options
    You're basically asking politely that they cancel a contract that you agreed to. It's not about being un-cooperative. :/

But what's the big deal if you have this other registry that you don't use?
  • Options

You could try calling back and saying that since the Home Outfitters rep was deceptive in describing the full details of the contest, you could like your registry and entry into the contest removed.

Couldn't you also just remove all the items from the actual registry and just put one item on there that is their cheapest thing?  That way, you are abiding by the terms of the contest but keeping it small.  That way if any guest actually finds this registry, there will be really nothing to buy off it.

And this type of crap is why I stopped entering contests.

• Options
    loveislouderloveislouder member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2015

You could try calling back and saying that since the Home Outfitters rep was deceptive in describing the full details of the contest, you could like your registry and entry into the contest removed.

Couldn't you also just remove all the items from the actual registry and just put one item on there that is their cheapest thing?  That way, you are abiding by the terms of the contest but keeping it small.  That way if any guest actually finds this registry, there will be really nothing to buy off it.

This is a good idea. I called and asked for the password to change it online and they won't give it to me. (ETA: I guess I'll just go down there and do it. Or call today and hope I get a different manager)I learned my lesson about entering contests.
  • Options
    You're basically asking politely that they cancel a contract that you agreed to. It's not about being un-cooperative. :/ But what's the big deal if you have this other registry that you don't use?
    The "big deal"  is that they were deceptive in the "contract."  When you google my name and fiance's name, that registry pops up. 
  • Options
    This is a good idea. I called and asked for the password to change it online and they won't give it to me. (ETA: I guess I'll just go down there and do it. Or call today and hope I get a different manager)I learned my lesson about entering contests.
    Whoa. Pretty sure that's not allowed!

Formerly martha1818

• Options
    In all reality, you said yourself that you didn't ask to read the terms. Why you'd sign any contract without reading it is beyond me.

I get your frustration, but this is actually a great lesson to learn for the future. So as annoying as it is just try to see it as a positive.
  • Options
    In all reality, you said yourself that you didn't ask to read the terms. Why you'd sign any contract without reading it is beyond me. I get your frustration, but this is actually a great lesson to learn for the future. So as annoying as it is just try to see it as a positive.
    I get what you're saying, but there wasn't anything to read or really sign.  All that was on the tiny square of paper asked for my name, wedding date, e-mail address and phone number.
  • Options
    Whoa. Pretty sure that's not allowed!
    Right. I'll call at lunch to see if I get a different manager and see what happens.
  • Options

Is it a Breville toaster? They are worth the money.

Seriously, what do the contract say? Do they have a website where you could remove the items?

Anniversary

• Options
    loveislouderloveislouder member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2015
    penguin44 said:

Seriously, what do the contract say? Do they have a website where you could remove the items?

I think it might be. Explain to me the awesomeness? Please? lol
  • Options
    You could be just as deceptive and tell them that you want your registry number and password so that you can add items on to the registry. And then just remove everything and change the password.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    penguin44 said:

I have the Breville toaster oven. My parents have the regular toaster. The regular toaster has bagel, reheat, and defrost settings. You can lift up the bread to look at it while toasting. You can add a bit more time instead of resetting it. It has an LED display to show you how much time is left. I guess nothing super revoluntionary, but it has lived a long time. Like 20 years.

My toaster oven is basically a tiny oven. It has toast, bagel, bake, convection bake, broil, cookies, pizza, reheat,  warm. It's amazing. Oh and it heats up in like 2 minutes.

Anniversary

• Options
    I always loved how toasters have "cancel" buttons. Like partway through toasting I'll decide that I want plain bread and cancel it. Lol.
  • Options
    penguin44 said:
    penguin44 said:

I have the Breville toaster oven. My parents have the regular toaster. The regular toaster has bagel, reheat, and defrost settings. You can lift up the bread to look at it while toasting. You can add a bit more time instead of resetting it. It has an LED display to show you how much time is left. I guess nothing super revoluntionary, but it has lived a long time. Like 20 years.

My toaster oven is basically a tiny oven. It has toast, bagel, bake, convection bake, broil, cookies, pizza, reheat,  warm. It's amazing. Oh and it heats up in like 2 minutes.

We have the Breville Toaster Oven.  It's magical.  It's like a mini oven too, so for smaller things it saves energy and in the summer we can use it without heating up the whole house. 

• Options
    I too would say that you just want to add more items so you'd like the password.
  • Options
    penguin44 said:
    penguin44 said:

Hmm.  That's pretty awesome.
  • Options

So I went to that Wedding Show I was telling ya'll about and it was fine and dandy. I entered in a ton of contests for a ton of things. One of those contests was at Home Outfitters - we would win a honeymoon or $10,000.00 cash.

Fast forward to yesterday when I received a phone call from Home Outfitters saying they had finished pre-registering for me, and my registry was available online. I was confused because I definitely did not register with them.  I called them and spoke with the manager, who told me that I should have been told that with entering the contest, I had also agreed to them pre-registering me for a bunch of items (including a $130.00 2 slice toaster. Who spends $130.00 on a TOASTER?)

Anyway... I told him I wasn't aware of that, and I would like the registry removed. He said no. I was like umm. excuse me. What do you mean no? "You entered the contest, you agreed."

What the hell. Does anyone have any ideas how to go about getting it removed?

Thanks guys.

They technically have the right to use your name and do this. But a tv consumer news bit mentioned places like this, and you have the right to enter the registry and change the items and delete them. They referred to a different store, sporting goods, that did this type of promotions.

As far as they are concerned ir they get you into their site or store to fix the list, they have promoted their place. And if even one person keep the registry active with they said 5 suggested items minimum but you choose them, and people check the registry, they figure you have brought 100 wedding guest in to look at their store.

If this is right, go to the registry and pick a very few things you would not mind. Delete the rest. Then do not tell anyone you are registered there. But a few people who may do a registry search can find it, so have a handful of items there.

Separate issue: An old tv show Simon and Simon has Rick Simon (Gerald Mc Rainey) dealing with a roster problem with a new fancy model, and the sales stuffed shirt keeps referring to it as a Miracle of Bread Browning Technology.
    Whenever I see a toaster on sale for a ridiculous amount of money I think of it. We still use a 14 dollar model my Grandmother bought when out to buy me school clothes 25 years ago, and it works just fine.
    That would be around 32dollars now with inflation, I think.
  • Options

They can make you do it in person, but they must give you the password on request because when they put it in your name it becomes your account, and their site registry instructions say, you will get a password.
  • Options
    In all reality, you said yourself that you didn't ask to read the terms. Why you'd sign any contract without reading it is beyond me. I get your frustration, but this is actually a great lesson to learn for the future. So as annoying as it is just try to see it as a positive.
    I get what you're saying, but there wasn't anything to read or really sign.  All that was on the tiny square of paper asked for my name, wedding date, e-mail address and phone number.
    Pretty sure she didn't sign a contract. This is deceptive.

I hate bridal shows.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards