Chit Chat
Options

Nervous as hell for a business trip next week. Soothing noises please?

I have a business trip to St. Louis that I am leaving for on Sunday. I will come back Wednesday night. Normally this wouldn't be a big deal, but I am so nervous about flying being so newly pregnant. My doc says that it is fine and that I shouldn't worry, but I just can't help myself. I don't know if it is just because I so desperately want this pregnancy to last or what, but I am having major anxiety. And to make matters worse, I cannot take my regular anxiety medicine because it is not safe anymore. FML!

So how do you relax on planes and while away from home?

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Nervous as hell for a business trip next week. Soothing noises please?

• Options
    Make yourself as comfortable as possible. I'm a nervous flyer (Ironic since FI is a pilot). I bring my favorite book and make sure I have good music on my phone, and am wearing comfortable clothes. When I get on the plane and am allowed too, I pop in the music and read my book and just kind of zone out, pretending I'm sitting in my chair at home reading.

The less I have to do, or the more uncomfortable I am, the more anxiety I get, so this helps eliminate stressors I can control
  • Options

Is there anyway you can upgrade your seat on the plane and just pay the difference yourself?  Having more room in your seat and around you might make you feel more comfortable.  Keep reminding yourself that the doctor gave you the ok to fly, so what you are doing is safe for you and your baby.

Also, is there anyone you can see about your anxiety?  I agree that it may be related to wanting this pregnancy to last as well.  My friend had a MC and she saw someone throught her following pregnancy because of it.  If you can't see someone, perhaps there is an online group you could find to help talk about your anxiety feelings.  There are many women who have had a MC and went on to have full term pregnancies with healty babies, I am sure there is a group online like this to talk to about this.  They will have been there and know all the feelings you are currently feeling.

• Options

Thanks, ladies. @OliveOilsMom--I see a therapist regularly, so I will be sure to give her a call and see if maybe I can get in for a last minute appointment before I take off.

@SoontobeMrsKlein--I will definitely bring a good book. Any suggestions?

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    You're fine! Unless the cabin becomes depressurized and the plane crashes, this shouldn't be a problem. Focus on the purpose of your trip! All the good vibes to you!
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    I'm don't usually get nervous flying, but I can't stand crowds.  I put on my headphones and listen to my favorite music and journal or read.  Listening to a comedy station on Pandora could also distract you, as could getting sucked into a great book.  If you can have chamomile or other herbal tea, that could help too (okay, I really just love tea and I want everyone else to love it too, lol).  Remember to just take a deep breath and release any tension you're feeling. 

Non-drug stress relieving techniques include breathing patterns, individually clenching each muscle group and then relaxing with a deep breath (work your way up from your feet), yoga, and meditation.  If you have anxiety but can't take drugs, give those a try instead. 

You're going to be just fine!  Happy thoughts to you!

• Options
    I don't think you're having anxiety because you really want this pregnancy to last- of course you do!!! You're having anxiety for the same reasons you always do- the way your brain works. Wholeheartedly second the recommendation to follow up stat with your mental health team. Some women take anti-anxiety medications during pregnancy.

Your baby is the size of like a peanut now ish? Flying is fine! Anxiety is so tough but you can do it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards