Wedding Reception Forum

Renting glassware

We have 175 for the wedding - all adults.
The historic venue provides beer, wine and champagne  but if you wish a hard liquor bar, you may provide it yourself but they cannot touch or
in anyway be involved except to make ice available to you and charge you for how ever many hard bar tenders you will need when they hire in the one
for the beer/wine bar.

There will be a total of 4 hours open bar for 175 adult guests.   We will need how many  martini, rock, high ball glasses guesstimate?  No barback so noone will be washing in between.  A clean glass will be offered with each serve.  

The women like wine and Cosmos, Manhattans, Martinis   Men are beer, scotch rocks, hi balls.   My guess is 300 Martini  300 rocks  and about  300 hi ball

(wine glass are provided by the venue for their provided wine/beer bar area and all table stemware is also provided by the venue)  

DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THIS SEEM RIGHT   TOO MUCH....  TOO LITTLE....  DIFFERENT COUNTS FOR EACH TYPE...???
Sorry but it is now, at least in California  VERY popular to have winery weddings, weddings outside in the country or in historical buildings and mansions and many do NOT have licenses to serve hard liquor...but will allow you to do your own hard bar...IT IS NOT CHEAPER TO USE PLASTIC AND IS SO WASTEFUL.

Unless you are having a Country style wedding theme  you don't want red Solos in all your reception pix and "crystaline" looking plastic is pricey when you pay 50 cents to rent a real glass and they bring them and haul them away for you  no muss, no fuss...but how many??? 

HELP ANYONE!!

Re: Renting glassware

• try www.smartyhadaparty.com
  • I might have an unpopular suggestion here, but I would just forgo the hard liquor. It sounds like a huge hassle. Just another headache and something else that could go wrong. Beer, wine and champagne is plenty for a really nice wedding.

Don't get me wrong, I love me a good dirty martini or a bourbon on the rocks as a guest. But as a bride, I wouldn't take this on.

I'm sorry, I have no experience or suggestions on how many glasses to get.
    *********************************************************************************

• I might have an unpopular suggestion here, but I would just forgo the hard liquor. It sounds like a huge hassle. Just another headache and something else that could go wrong. Beer, wine and champagne is plenty for a really nice wedding.

Don't get me wrong, I love me a good dirty martini or a bourbon on the rocks as a guest. But as a bride, I wouldn't take this on.

I'm sorry, I have no experience or suggestions on how many glasses to get.
    Yeah, I agree.  I'm usually all for full bars, but this one seems like too much hassle.  And you are having beer and wine, so it's not like you won't be serving anything.  

If you do really want the hard liquor......how much does it cost per glass?  If it were me and I money wasn't a concern, I'd really overorder on the glasses.....I'd rather pay more out of pocket than risk running out.
  • I'd call the local rental places, maybe 2 or 3, explain how many people and how long, and ask how many they'd recommend.
  • We have 175 for the wedding - all adults.

The historic venue provides beer, wine and champagne  but if you wish a hard liquor bar, you may provide it yourself but they cannot touch or
    in anyway be involved except to make ice available to you and charge you for how ever many hard bar tenders you will need when they hire in the one
    for the beer/wine bar.

There will be a total of 4 hours open bar for 175 adult guests.   We will need how many  martini, rock, high ball glasses guesstimate?  No barback so noone will be washing in between.  A clean glass will be offered with each serve.  

The women like wine and Cosmos, Manhattans, Martinis   Men are beer, scotch rocks, hi balls.   My guess is 300 Martini  300 rocks  and about  300 hi ball

(wine glass are provided by the venue for their provided wine/beer bar area and all table stemware is also provided by the venue)  

DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THIS SEEM RIGHT   TOO MUCH....  TOO LITTLE....  DIFFERENT COUNTS FOR EACH TYPE...???
    Sorry but it is now, at least in California  VERY popular to have winery weddings, weddings outside in the country or in historical buildings and mansions and many do NOT have licenses to serve hard liquor...but will allow you to do your own hard bar...IT IS NOT CHEAPER TO USE PLASTIC AND IS SO WASTEFUL.

Unless you are having a Country style wedding theme  you don't want red Solos in all your reception pix and "crystaline" looking plastic is pricey when you pay 50 cents to rent a real glass and they bring them and haul them away for you  no muss, no fuss...but how many??? 

HELP ANYONE!!
    The catering service I worked for most figured that if wine and beer glassware was counted separately, then four times the number of glasses as adult guests. But this would assume Martinis are served not in the huge oversized popular martini glasses, but a more standard multipurpose cocktail glass. Any special glass, brandy snifters or large wide martini glasses, add to the four per person number, because they are useless for anything else.
  • I would go simple with the liquor.   No martinis or speciality drinks.  Keep it simple with vodka/sodas, rum/cokes, jack/cokes.

That way you can just use all-purpose glasses.

We had 145 people and provided all the glasses.  We ordered 450 all-purpose glasses.  We had a martini luge and ordered 150 glasses for those (we knew we had more beer and vodka/soda drinkers then martini drinkers). We  also had a dishwasher.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards