Registry and Gift Forum
Options

OOT Shower - how did you get your gifts home?

My MOH has generously offered to host a shower for me in my hometown (where she, my entire family, and most of my friends live). It's halfway across the country from where I currently live.

Has anyone had an OOT shower? Did you get mostly boxed gifts or gift cards/cash? How did you get your boxed gifts home?

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: OOT Shower - how did you get your gifts home?

• Options
    I was a plane ride away.

Showers are gift giving events so we got all gifts.

I took an empty suitcase with me.  Then I took a lot of things out if it's packaging because to make it fit better.  I packed up a box to be shipped vis USPS. 

I took some items back to BB&B (wine glasses and some other big stuff) and got a GC.  I then re-bought the items to be shipped directly to my place. That way the any breaks would be on them. I did not have a BB&B around (lived in the islands). But if I did I would have just re-bought the items at the store with the GC.

if the wedding did not take place we would have just re-bought the items to give back to the guests.  Shipping items back from the islands would have been a nightmare anyway.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    lyndausvi said:
    I was a plane ride away.

Showers are gift giving events so we got all gifts.

I took an empty suitcase with me.  Then I took a lot of things out if it's packaging because to make it fit better.  I packed up a box to be shipped vis USPS. 

I took some items back to BB&B (wine glasses and some other big stuff) and got a GC.  I then re-bought the items to be shipped directly to my place. That way the any breaks would be on them. I did not have a BB&B around (lived in the islands). But if I did I would have just re-bought the items at the store with the GC.

if the wedding did not take place we would have just re-bought the items to give back to the guests.  Shipping items back from the islands would have been a nightmare anyway.

Thank you! These are great ideas. :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    I had a very similar experience, most of "my side"of the wedding invites were from my hometown, where my MOH offered to throw me a shower. I flew Southwest so i could check 2 bags free and came with 2 almost empty big bags. My mom and 2 brothers also offered to bring excess gifts with them when they came to the wedding, which was across the country, where i live. I knew i was over prepared since the shower guest list was only around 10 people (the wedding itself had fewer than 50 people). However, it ended up being unnecessary. All i got were gift cards, except for a cheesy "bride" sweatshirt to wear that night. It was pretty weird to be opening a bunch of gift cards at a shower, but they were all trying to be considerate knowing i had to travel
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards