Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Dress is beautiful but does it fit my color scheme???

My fiancee and I got engaged about two months ago and I started the search for a dress about a month later. The first time I went to a bridal boutique where they have designer gowns and the prices are negotiable. I tried on a few dresses and fell in love with one. However, I was a bit nervous, because they don't do alterations there (they do have a list of reputable seamstresses). So, I decided to go to David's Bridal, and fell in love with another dress but it was more than what I wanted to spend. So I decided I would go back with my bridal party this time to David's Bridal to see what they thought of the dress. I ended up purchasing it, despite the budget (I could make cuts in other places). Well, now a month later, I am questioning my decision. My problem with the dress is that it is ivory and champagne. Our colors are navy and silver. My fiancee is set on black tuxes. I am worried there will be too much going on color wise and it won't look very pulled together. HELP!

Re: Dress is beautiful but does it fit my color scheme???

• Options
    The bride is ALWAYS supposed to stand out from any decorative scheme. Navy and silver are a classic and classy set of neutrals.

Ivory to champagne with black or grey of any shade, is a classic and classy set of formal wear neutrals. Well done!

Too many colors would be having bridesmaids in neon pink and orange and lime, not classic, not in line with the mood of formality.

Yet blues in the family of the navy ( lighter shades of pure blues, not blue- green, ) or red, or deep pink which are also classic accents to navy blue or black would be okay.
    This is not a time for plaid vests or purple ones on groomsmen, either. That would be a mess.

Sounds nice to me.
  • Options
    I don't see it being a problem.  

That said, if I was going to change anything it would be my colors, not my dress.  "THE" dress is hard to come by.  If it's too much for your change it from Navy and silver to navy and ivory or champagne.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    Thank you for your kind replies. It is so wonderful to be able to get ideas that I hadn't thought of. I am not sure why I hadn't even thought to change my colors (except from navy to black but he wasn't too into that idea). Luckily, my BM's will not be dress shopping until summer :) Thanks again, knotties. I am feeling much better about it already.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards