Wedding Etiquette Forum

Do I need a wedding website?

We're having about 90 people, all of whom are pretty close family and friends. I figure there's so little information that's really needed (hotel, ceremony/reception address, times I guess?)

I just don't see the point of making a whole site for it. Can't I just send emails/snail mail and utilize word of mouth? 

Re: Do I need a wedding website?

• lilacck28lilacck28 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited February 2015
    rcher912 said:
    We're having about 90 people, all of whom are pretty close family and friends. I figure there's so little information that's really needed (hotel, ceremony/reception address, times I guess?)

I just don't see the point of making a whole site for it. Can't I just send emails/snail mail and utilize word of mouth? 
    Yes, you can, but it's also not hard to make a free website (I used wedding wire), or include that info in your invitations. Do what will be easiest for your guests. 

ETA: but don't include info about your registries with your invitations. You can, however, mention your wedding website there! 

• The websites are free and you can come up with something nice in less than a half hour and I'm sure my website kept me from getting asked some questions like about my registries a number of times.  What's the harm?
  • You don't need one, no, but I had fun making one.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2015
    Agreed, no you don't need one, but they can be useful.

If you have hotel information, or directions, that could be put on an insert to go with the invitation. 

We did have a website, and we also had fun making it. But we also had a fair number of people coming from OOT. 
  • I agree that you don't need a website.  Actually, no one really needs a website.  Best wishes!
  • We both really dislike wedding websites so we did not do one. We also only have 100 people invited expecting 80 I know the at least 15 can't make it. We just made sure to add an accommodations insert. If someone has a question they can call us it's a nice way to catch up with those family members and friends living further away.
  • I'll echo most PPs that you don't need one, but it's free and easy to make one and may end up being helpful to your guests (plus save you from getting asked the same questions by 50 different people). 

Some people might lose their invitations, so it would be nice to have some other point of reference to know the time and location of the ceremony and reception. 

Websites are also a good place to put registry info (since you can't put it on your invites). I also included hotel block info on mine (again, in case people lose their accommodations card) plus more details about hotels in the area, info about the free trolley that's picking guests up from the hotels and taking them to the venue, other things to do in the area (since none of the guests are local), driving directions to the venue for whoever is driving in from out of town but not staying at hotels and/or not using the trolley, and a little bit of info about my fiance and I and how we met because I have some relatives who live far away (as in Europe and Japan) who have never met FI, and FI has some relatives who have never met me. So it seemed like a good chance for them to get to "know" us a tiny bit before the wedding. 

In other words, websites are nice way to get all those details out that may be useful to guests, that you wouldn't put in an invite, but if you don't feel it's necessary for you and your circumstances, then don't worry about it. 
  • We didn't have one/didn't need one, and everything went just fine.  Our map and addresses for our church and reception hall, as well as hotel information, were on the back of the invitation.  Registry info went by word of mouth.
    **The OMH formerly known as jsangel1018**
  • I think websites are great if you have multiple OOT guests and want to provide a hotel block and other travel information. It's useful to have an online place to look so they can check it from work while booking travel, etc. It's also cheaper than an insert in the invite since websites are typically free. 

But if all of your OOT guests already regularly travel to your area, and you are not having a hotel block, then it's probably not needed. 

• Thanks for the feedback, ladies! I'll talk to FI and see what he thinks.

Part of my hesitation is that FI does websites a lot for work, and I'm a little concerned he might take it over and go way overboard and it won't go up for like, months, hehe...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards