Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Super Excited!!

So, I just wanted to share...

We live in South Carolina, are getting married in KY, and have tons of family in KY. 

We've decided that we are going to do the Ky Bourbon Trail for our honeymoon!! - Its less than a week, pretty cheap, and low key. (which we are all about)

Since we aren't doing a "traditional honeymoon" I'm trying to figure out how to plan it. 

We are both late 20's, and have lived together and on our own for a while, so we don't need much. 

We are planning on doing a honeymoon registry, but that means that we have to plan everything in advance to put it on the registry. 

Just excited and realizing how much more we still have to do. 

Re: Super Excited!!

• Options
    So, I just wanted to share...

We live in South Carolina, are getting married in KY, and have tons of family in KY. 

We've decided that we are going to do the Ky Bourbon Trail for our honeymoon!! - Its less than a week, pretty cheap, and low key. (which we are all about)

Since we aren't doing a "traditional honeymoon" I'm trying to figure out how to plan it. 

We are both late 20's, and have lived together and on our own for a while, so we don't need much. 

We are planning on doing a honeymoon registry, but that means that we have to plan everything in advance to put it on the registry. 

Just excited and realizing how much more we still have to do. 

Nooooooo! Don't do a honeymoon registry.  Read the sticky in this forum so you can fully understand how rude this is to your guests...  And come on, you don't need to "plan everything in advance"...because it's not like they really plan and book whatever your guests end up purchasing...they just cut your a check, less a percentage of your guest's money.
  • Options
    Traditional honeymoon = couple travels somewhere other than their residence together for a few days.

Honeymoon registry = Eeeewwww!  Ick!  Super tacky!  Have the honeymoon that you can afford yourself.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    That sounds fun! Don't do the registry because those are rude (and don't say you know 10 people who have done them because that doesn't make it less rude). But it's really no big deal, you just don't register anywhere for "home" gifts and people will get the idea and give cash. Those sites take a percentage of the gifts so it makes a lot more sense to just get checks from people. And then you are free to spend them however you wish! I've never been there so I don't have any suggestions but I'm sure you can google lots of things, good luck!! 

• Options
    Most of my family and friends have already told us that they want to give us cash for our honeymoon, so instead of that, we set up a website. 

If you want to get three toasters and sets and sets of towels that you don't need, (because I've lived on my own for over 10 years, as has the fi) cool, but call me tacky, we'll be having a great time on our honeymoon that was graciously offered to be paid for by my parents and grandparents (since we're paying for the wedding ourselves)

• Options
    Most of my family and friends have already told us that they want to give us cash for our honeymoon, so instead of that, we set up a website. 

If you want to get three toasters and sets and sets of towels that you don't need, (because I've lived on my own for over 10 years, as has the fi) cool, but call me tacky, we'll be having a great time on our honeymoon that was graciously offered to be paid for by my parents and grandparents (since we're paying for the wedding ourselves)

It's nice that your family wants to pay for your honeymoon, but that doesn't mean it's okay to make a honeymoon registry. I get that you don't care about the etiquette, but why use a middle man to take 7-8% of the cash guests want to give you?

And lots of people, including myself, pay for their own honeymoon and wedding. It's called being a grown-up.
  • Options

Why in the world wouldn't you just let them give you cash?  Why set up a registry that is going to take a percentage of their monetary gift to you?  This makes absolutely NO sense!   Your guests even said they wanted to give cash!   

Why?  Why why why would you want to let a company keep a percentage?  I hope you're smarter than this and change your mind.
  • Options
    I agree with no honeymoon registry!!! I never batted an eye at it so I didn't understand why it was such a big deal (not that I was ever going to do it but I have been at weddings where they do) until my dad started talking to my aunt.. she asked where we were registering and he jokingly said Home Depot (really we don't know, but we have everything we need and are constantly buying and remodeling homes so this was his idea of a joke).. she is the most generous, kind hearted person you could meet and her immediate response was "Oh good, so they aren't going to ASK for money to pay for the wedding". Keep in mind this is a woman that would pay off my student loans if she thought I was having money trouble, but the idea that people ASK for it seemed very rude to her.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards