Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

When to order flower girl dress?

Hi all,
I could use a bit of advice please.... We will be having one flower girl in our wedding this coming Nov.  She will be 4.  Her mom (my future sister-in-law) is also a bridesmaid.  She lives out of state, has shown little to no interest in the wedding and is busy with work, family.  I'm a little concerned that with some family stuff coming up this year ordering the flower girl dress will get lost in the shuffle. When should I have her order the dress?  

Thanks!

Re: When to order flower girl dress?

• Options
    I would ask the flower girl's mom.  However, I would think anything more than 4-5 months in advance would be too early, since kids grow so quickly at that age.  Also, if you're worried the mom won't order it, you could always order it instead.  I purchased and ordered my flower girl dresses - they're from DB, and were fairly inexpensive.  If the mom is also a BM and is purchasing her own dress to wear to your wedding already, purchasing a FG as well may be a bit much
  • Options
    Do you know what company you're going with? If so, ask them what time frame they recommend.

If you just plan to give the mom guidelines (i.e. white, floor-length dress), then don't worry about this at all. That's what I'd probably do. She's at an age where she could be an inch taller come November, or she could be 5 inches taller. It might make more sense to buy something off the rack at Macy's or JCPenney's. You could buy a sash that matches your wedding colors and just tie it onto whatever they buy.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    Thanks!!! I do have a dress picked out that's $60 so it won't be too much of a financial burden.  Shipping should only take two weeks so we can hold off on ordering as well. 
  • Options
    Thanks!!! I do have a dress picked out that's $60 so it won't be too much of a financial burden.  Shipping should only take two weeks so we can hold off on ordering as well. 
    Great for shipping time! That will let the mom ensure she orders the right size. She can easily order in September or October. I wouldn't even mention it until then. For you, that's close because it's your wedding. For her, that's eons away.

As far as the cost, just make sure you asked her budget ahead of time. The conversation shouldn't be "Is $60 ok?" It should be "what is your budget for a flower girl dress?" and then you shop within that budget - shipping included.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    Yep, all covered.  They offered to buy it already so we are good to go. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards