Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums

Veil?

I've been back and forth about having a veil... 

Part of me does want one because it's traditional, they look nice, and I have found a couple that I like.

The other part of me doesn't because they can be pretty expensive (at boutiques anyways, and I rarely trust online), I don't plan on having it cover my face, our processional is going to be a bit more feel good than the common/typical entrance so I feel like it might get in the way (if I DID have a veil it would be elbow to finger tip length).

I don't think I'd regret it either way, but has anyone else been stuck on this?

Re: Veil?

• I didn't want a veil either. I was instant on not having on but then I tried one a few (my mom is a pusher) and it really put everything together. Mine is a fingertip length champagne colored (to match the dress) with just a little satin edging. It is nothing fancy or over the top which was perfect for me. I hope this helps. And I got mine for only $40 from a bridal shop in St. Louis, MO.
  • I was dead set on not having one for a long time.  Then the royal wedding happened and that made me rethink the whole veil thing.  But I did not want to spend a shit ton of money on a piece of fabric I was going to wear for maybe an hour.  So I decided to make my own (simple, raw cut, one tier, fingertip length veil).  I decided on the day of my wedding, about 40 minutes before my ceremony, that I was going to wear it and I am happy I did.  My veil was nothing spectacular but it did add the perfect finishing touch to my attire.  I wore it for the ceremony and then a few pics and then I took it off.

So if you are unsure, look for a decently priced veil and then just wait until your wedding day comes to make a decision.

• I was dead set on not having one.   Everyone kept pushing I at least try one one.   Yay for my sales person because she put one on and said "nope, not you".   That was the end.

I do not regret not having a veil. I still felt like a bride.

Funny story - while engaged we were watching a movie with a wedding and DH says "you're not going to wear one of those bug nets over your face are you?".

LOL -  you see we lived in the islands at the time and DH had lived on another island at one point.  Mosquito nets were common.  On the  island DH lived on without me he had to sleep under net.    So in his mind veils are nothing more than mosquito nets.  Ha

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • For me, I've tried some on and they don't look hideous or anything like that it's not that it's unfitting, I'm just unsure. And, I don't know if this is just in Canada, but I've been hard pressed to find one under $80!!!! Which is why I'm not really willing to buy one "just in case". I'm also afraid of DIY'ing one and screwing it up.

I'm more so leaning towards not having one. I've found a really pretty tie up head band kind of thing with gold leaves and beading in it that I might use as a second accessory (I have a gold comb for in the back right now). 
  • Veils are so expensive, and I really didn't want to spend the money on one.  My future sister-in-law has a beautiful one that was exactly what I was looking for, so I asked if I could borrow it for my wedding as my "something borrowed"  She was happy to lend it to me and happy it will get a second use.  But if I wasn't borrowing one, I would have checked out ebay or something inexpensive.  I didn't wan to spend a lot on one since I will only really be wearing it for pictures and during the ceremony.
  • I was very back and forth about the veil as well. I found a veil I liked at David's Bridal but couldn't bring myself to spend so much money on it. I ended up finding one very similar to the one I liked on eBay for $40 that still had the original tags on it (original tag said $149). I ended up finding a hairstyle that I really liked and am going to wear my hair all up with the veil underneath!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • If the price is your main holdup, could you borrow one? Do you have a close friend or family member that got married recently and would be willing to let you wear hers as your "something borrowed"?

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I went without a veil and don't regret it. There are very few styles I even like, and it seemed like a pain in the rear to be honest. 

They can make for amazing photo ops, which is one reason I dithered just a little bit... but didn't miss it at all. Didn't feel like any less of a bride either! 

• If the price is your main holdup, could you borrow one? Do you have a close friend or family member that got married recently and would be willing to let you wear hers as your "something borrowed"?
    Unfortunately not! Even my mom (in the 80's) just used a small birdcage type veil, and the only girlfriend I have who is married has been married for 6 years or so now and no longer has one! Great idea, but not an option!! It does seem like a lot of girls are opting not to have one, so I feel less pressured (in my own mind) to really have one. And that's basically all I really see it as @thisismynickname, the photo-op aspect. I think I'm at 70/30 right now for not having one :S
  • I bought a fingertip veil on eBay for $13, and it's honestly totally fine. I wanted a veil, but didn't want to pay the 200 or so for the one I tried on at David's. I got a lace trimmed one, and it just needs a little "trimming". There are some little threads hanging off the embroidery that I'll go through and clip off. 

So I would suggest getting a cheapo one. If you aren't happy with the quality, you're only out a tiny bit. For me, it's tulle, you can't really mess it up? In pictures I've taken during fittings you honestly cannot tell the difference between the eBay one and the DB one except the lace trim has a slightly different pattern. 
  • cgss11 said:
    I bought a fingertip veil on eBay for $13, and it's honestly totally fine. I wanted a veil, but didn't want to pay the 200 or so for the one I tried on at David's. I got a lace trimmed one, and it just needs a little "trimming". There are some little threads hanging off the embroidery that I'll go through and clip off. 

So I would suggest getting a cheapo one. If you aren't happy with the quality, you're only out a tiny bit. For me, it's tulle, you can't really mess it up? In pictures I've taken during fittings you honestly cannot tell the difference between the eBay one and the DB one except the lace trim has a slightly different pattern. 
    Yeah I think if I do get one, I will go with online, I'd feel less bad about spending $20 on something that could end up being junky, than $100 on something I end up not wanting. Do you happen to know the seller you bought it from? I know sometimes on ebay sellers will do multiple things or even "stores" will sell things, it would be nice to get it from somewhere recommended.
  • I didn't wear one and don't have any regrets! I was unsure, but leaning towards no leading up to dress shopping. I selected my dress and tried one on and it didn't feel like me. My dress had more of an evening gown look than a bridal look so it also didn't suit my dress.

I think that buying a cheaper one and deciding on the day of is a great idea if you're not sure when you try one on at the store. That being said, if you've tried them on and deep down think it's not you, then then listen to that!
  • Cool. Well thank you all for your feedback! 
  • I would say go for it if you like the way it would look with your dress. I hadn't planned on getting one, but once I saw everything together I fell in love. My plan is to wear it for the ceremony and some of the pictures but take it off for the reception. I know it;s hard to trust things online but I feel more safe with lots of the etsy sellers than most retailers. 
  • I actually ended up buying one this weekend! I decided to go for it. I went back to the boutique i bought my dress from and they had more reasonable priced veils than other stores I looked at. And the woman who owns the store sold me the sample veil with a 10% discount to save me money rather than ordering a new one! So I was pretty happy with that :) Plus it's now stored with my dress for safe keeping.

I'm happy with my decision!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards