Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Grenada

We have a half day in St. George, Grenada on an upcoming cruise on a Saturday. Has anyone been here? I would like to know if the spice market is an easy walking distance from port. Our ship leaves at 2 so we would like to return to ship around noon to avoid the last minute runners.

Re: Grenada

• Options
    CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2015
    Yes, they sell spices right at the dock.   Be aware of import regulations.  Packaged spices are admissible.  Loose spices may be questioned at US customs.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    I haven't been so I'm not sure about the port. But my best friend lived there for 2 years and she told me how nutmeg is like the entire economy there. I guess they had some hurricane that destroyed all the nutmeg trees about 9 years ago....and the trees take 10 years to grow back fully mature. So the locals have been struggling waiting for these trees to grow. So buy some nutmeg if you can! 

• Options
    edited February 2015

CT is the Nutmeg State - and will definitely bring back nutmeg, probably to use as Christmas ornaments.

That's good to know, CMGragain. I wish we were going to be there a whole day. Spice shopping is a priority, but I don't want to wander too far. Thanks.

• Options
    The nutmeg will probably be imported from somewhere else.  I was in Grenada just after that hurricane.  Our ship off loaded food and medical supplies to the island.  We were one of the first ships to return to Grenada, and the locals were delighted to see us.  There was not one roof intact on the entire island, but school was in session, and the children were clean and dressed in their school uniforms.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options

CMGragain, that must have been a interesting trip. We don't mind if the spices are imported as long as we're supporting a small business. We booked excursions in most other ports, but I want to be able to enjoy this place without being hurried on to another stop.

• Options
    When I was there, I made sure to spend money with the locals.  There are many ladies dressed in traditional garb, selling items or asking you to pay them a dollar to pose for a photo. 
    We didn't know we were going to Granada.  After the hurricane, the island wasn't safe for a while.  The prison had emptied out, and there was no law enforcement on the island.  We had been told we were going to Domenica instead.  Then when we boarded, we found a note in our cabin explaining that we were going to Grenada after all!  There was a mad scramble for shore excursions.The nutmeg trees were completely destroyed in that storm.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options

We're going to Dominica, also. We stopped there last time, but were limited to accessible excursions because my mom was with us. We rode a trolley around Rousseau, stopped at the botanical gardens and an ancient Catholic church. This time we've booked an excursion to Titou Gorge and Hot Springs, so we'll get to see the rain forest.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards