Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

Birthday on Wedding Day

Not sure if this is a custom or tradition but I didn't know where else to put this. Two days before the wedding is the mother of the bride's birthday. The day before is one of the bride's closest friends'/he's singing at the wedding birthday. The day of the wedding is one of the groomsmen's birthdays. Since they will all be at the rehearsal dinner we would like to do something small to acknowledge the birthdays because that's what we would do if it wasn't our wedding day! But I'm not sure how to do it. I'm thinking of having shirts made that say something like "it's my birthday and all I got was a lousy 6 hours of open bar" but I'm not sold on that idea. I would love to hear your ideas!

Re: Birthday on Wedding Day

• Options
    I don't know if this will help, but when I was about 7 or 8 I went to a wedding with my family, on MY birthday. The bride and groom got me a birthday cake and had everyone sing happy birthday which was really sweet and a surprise.

So you COULD do something LIKE that? I'm not on board with the t-shirt idea.
  • Options
    Yeah, I'm not crazy about the t-shirts. I wouldn't wear something like that. It would become a "painting" shirt or a rag.

Why don't you get a big sheet cake and sing "Happy Birthday"? Keep it simple. :) I'd be touched if you had a cake for me (and the other birthday people) at your rehearsal dinner.
  • Options
    Not a fan of the T-shirts.

Whatever you do decide to do, though, make sure everyone is okay with having their birthdays so acknowledged before you do it, and respect any requests not to from the birthday people.
  • Options
    My sister got married on our Grandmother's birthday. 

During the reception my BIL took a candle from one of the centerpieces and put it on a slice of wedding cake. It was impromptu and a really beautiful moment. We sang Happy Birthday to her and she cried. 

Keep it from the heart and leave out the hokey t-shirts. They'll appreciate the sentiment. 
  • Options
    I'm not a fan of the t-shirts. I'd honestly check with all of them first to make sure they're OK with having their birthdays acknowledged at the rehearsal. Personally, I might feel uncomfortable. 

I actually got married on my 34th birthday. I wasn't planning on acknowledging it at all (my husband's birthday was the day before too), but my MOH surprised us with a small cake and two candles during her toast. Anyway, maybe you could do something like that? 
  • Options
    You could get a sheet cake that says "Happy Birthday" to so-and-so as the cake for the rehearsal dinner and sing "Happy Birthday" to them. I think that would be sufficient. 

• Options
    Thanks everyone! I appreciate the suggestions. And I can assure you all that each of them has made a big deal about how nice it is for us to plan this big birthday party for them! They'll love it!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards