Wedding Woes
Options

The diaper cake

Well, that's huge.

I think the square is a little easier to make, now that I've done it.  But I think I like the round one better.

Re: The diaper cake

• Options
    I love the sunglasses, and the ruby slippers.
  • Options
    That is so cute!
  • Options
    Great job!
  • Options
    That is the cutest!!  Love the sunglasses. 
  • Options
    Very cute!  As a receiver of a diaper cake, the rolled diapers didn't want to unroll to lay flat in my drawers.  While I LOOOOOOOVED the cake, when I saw this one my first thought was "The diapers will be flat!"
  • Options
    That's good to know, 6.  I never thought of that.  

This was nice b/c you just folded the diapers in half. No rolling and multiple rubber bands or tape needed.
  • Options
    I may need the directions for this.  I have 3 friends pregnant and a nephew about to be a dad.
  • Options
    That is adorable! What a great idea.
  • Options
    VarunaTTVarunaTT member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited February 2015
    Here's what I used:  http://www.fun-baby-shower-ideas-and-more.com/square-diaper-cake.html.  There's also a Youtube video that might have more hints.

My bottom layer is 60 diapers, 3 rows, rubber banded into groups of 10.  I think the 2nd layer is 2 rows, 32 diapers?  8 in each section. Then just 6 on top.

Things I learned:  put the nice flat folded part on the ends (you alternate the diaper direction so you don't end up with one side thicker than the other).  A second set of hands is helpful just for holding and rubber banding.  

The cable ribbon is helpful for the going around parts.

I used 100 diapers total, b/c that's how many I had in the box.
  • Options
    Thanks!  I've got it saved.
  • Options
    I can't see your picture, but i looked at the tutorial - cute idea. 

I've made a few of the round cakes, and I always use a 750mL bottle of wine or beer in the middle to add stability and allow a connection between the layers. (Plus it's a nice surprise for the mom to enjoy after the baby is born.) ySIL loved the idea so much when I put in her favorite Lindeman's (Frombiose), that she built a diaper cake for me with a bottle of sparkling wine in the middle. 
  • Options
    ok, can see the picture at home. (damn work firewall) - very cute. I would have ***LOVED*** if you had gotten some striped tights, stuffed them, and had them sticking out from under the cake with the little red slippers on the feet. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards