Snarky Brides

Get on the knot. Read the knot. Listen to the knot.

edited February 2015 in Snarky Brides
Ladie ladies,

I have a few friends getting married soon and when they shared their news the first thing I said after "oh my God, congrats!!" Was "you should really check out the knot. Along with some fun planning ideas, the message boards are where the best info comes from."

I got on here soon after getting engaged and learned a million things that I previously had never thought of. I received both criticism and support for my ideas. You all helped me navigate the etiquette minefield and helped me put together one hell of a wedding/reception. All the guests had seats, full meals, open bar, and prepaid taxis back to our hotel, should they need one. Our guests' comfort and fun was our upmost concern and I feel everyone really enjoyed themselves. DH and I knew from the beginning that the wedding is JUST ONE DAY and we wanted to focus more on a great party with family we never get to see and celebrating with our closest friends. All the rest of that stuff like flowers and table settings and wedding party attire and centerpieces is just stuff...I mean really, guests remember if the food was good, if alcohol was free, if they were comfortable, and the music was great. Allll that being said,

Many of the brides I know are throwing all etiquette out of the window, from planning their own bachelorette parties, planning bridal showers, planning way above their budgets and wanting to do those GoFund things, delegating tasks to bridesmaids, having cash bars, not enough seats for bums (people will be dancing so not everyone will be sitting at the same time) have a 30+ mile trip from church to reception location and not having music, anything to drink ( not talking alcohol) and nothing to eat while they wait....It's boggling my mind that they are sending all their wedding registry info with the save the dates and again with invitation so guests won't forget. And the oh holy of not cools....a PPD. This bride wants the whole shebang ( all parties included) since her courthouse wedding was all she could afford (which I attended) I mean what the hell people?? Anytime I mention, to them to check the knot about some of this, they say it really wasn't useful.....Aka someone told them their idea wasn't a good one.

I'm definitely not saying you shouldn't be excited about flowers or color schemes and cake designs or flower girl dresses...that's all great. Not my style and I didn't start this to say weddings should all be small like mine.( I got married in an old pub and walked down the isle to Blink 182...probably not everyone's cup of tea and that's cool) have your big wedding, it's cool. What I mean is, and where I guess I meant to go with all of this is...ladies, it's one freaking day of your life, yes it's an exciting day but it's not the end all be all of days. Contrary to popular belief, it is NOT all about you. It's about two people committing to each other and celebrating it. Think of your guests and their comfort and take a giant chill pill. At the end of the day, you will be married whether the napkins matched the table cloth or not. And, tomorrow you will be a wife and life goes on.

Rant done. Sorry about some errors, it's a lot harder typing on an iPad than I thought. Miss my spell check.

Re: Get on the knot. Read the knot. Listen to the knot.

• This is good, I'm glad you get what the TK boards are about.

But baby please get some paragraphs in here ;)
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• @beethery‌ - Being on here made planning so much easier. I appreciated all of it. Now I enjoy glasses of wine and reading arguments. When I originally typed it, I had three paragraphs. When I hit post they all merged. Will try to get them back in there.
  • Do you know to keep them from merging? I've never had that happen.
  • beethery‌ - Being on here made planning so much easier. I appreciated all of it. Now I enjoy glasses of wine and reading arguments. When I originally typed it, I had three paragraphs. When I hit post they all merged. Will try to get them back in there.
    It's all good.

If the background is yellow when you go in to edit it, put <p> in front of where you want the paragraphs to start, and </p> after the last word in them. That'll tell the browser to separate them.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• It makes me mad when I see people asking " Hey guys if we have our wedding (PPD) in XL state, who would all show up?" This couple got married two months ago and still want to have a fancy elaborate ceremony because they do not feel like they are married. 

Live fast, die young. Bad Girls do it well. Suki Zuki.

• I just don't get the logic.....it makes my brain hurt hearing those people plan their "real" wedding. Ugh
  • Three other people in my office are engaged, and I keep telling them to play on the knot. Some of the things they say they will be doing is just so bad. paying for the engagement party they want but having someone else do all the "leg work", and inviting people knowing they will not be invited to the wedding.

I don't want to come right out and tell them "You know that is rude, right?" 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited February 2015
    @morewineplease‌ - I 100% agree! I'm trying to be nice by saying to check out the knot....but, I'm not sure if they care or if they have read something they didn't like. A coworker of mine is "making" her parents throw and pay for an engagement party because the venue she wants is too expensive. And she wants guests to bring gifts...I don't even know if the knot could save her, and she's only just gotten engaged.
  • I think all you can do is keep fighting the good fight, OP!

I am a BM helping a MOH plan the bachelorette for my best friend.  So far I was able to talk them out of hotels and limos (first because not all the guests would utilize them, second because it just drives up costs regardless which makes attendance difficult for guests), then I talked them out of "required" gifts of lingerie and putting the bride's sizes on the invites, and finally I had to talk them out of a dress code on the invite ("don't wear white out of respect for the bride!").
    Luckily the MOH was totally gracious and appreciated my ideas. I felt like a wet blanket, but, whew! 

• what blink song did you walk to?!

also. yes. i often feel like a wet blanket when i'm trying to guide people away from terrible ideas, but usually it ends up being useless...
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards