November 2015 Weddings

Music

arrrghmateyarrrghmatey member
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
edited February 2015 in November 2015 Weddings
So I've started thinking about music choices for our ceremony, first dance, father/daughter, etc. Have any of you started thinking about this yet? Care to share your ideas?

Here is what I'm thinking so far:

-Processional/Father-Daughter walk down the aisle: Instrumental version of "November Rain" by Guns 'n Roses
-Recessional: '"Gimme All Your Lovin" by ZZ Top
-Introductions: Instrumental version of "I Want My Tears Back" by Nightwish (the music sounds better than the title, I promise :P)
-First Dance: "Love" by Sonata Arctica
-Father/Daughter Dance: still deciding....either "Wish You Love" by Dean Martin, "Wildflowers" by Tom Petty, or "I'll Stand By You" in the Rod Stewart version.
-Mother/Son Dance: This is FI's territory

The Father/Daughter dance is proving to be the difficult one. My dad and I are close, but no super close, and he wasn't the over-protective father who like to twirl his little girls around in the yard. He wasn't around much growing up, and it was mostly mom who raised us, but he worked two jobs most of the time and provided for us well. We became closer as I got older, and one thing he always was for me was someone I could go to when I needed help--no matter what. He was there for me, and helped me, during some horrible times. So I'm leaning more towards "I'll Stand By You." Even if it means I'll probably start bawling during the dance.
                                 Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Music

• DUDE. I love Nightwish. That song would be epic to walk into.

Our processional music will be, "In My Life" by the Beatles, but that's pretty much all we've decided on. For our first dance song FI suggested, "Can't Take My Eyes off of You," which I like, but I also might suggest, "The Way You Look Tonight." I'd be happy with either though.

I asked my dad to choose the father/daughter dance song, but if he can't think of anything I might suggest, "The Time of My Life," because when I was little he used to take me to the roller rink and that was always the last song they played before they ended free skating, and we'd hold hands and go around the rink to it. I don't know if it's father/daughter-y enough though. Might be too romantic.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• YAY another Nightwish fan! New album next month!

I had also asked my dad for nay songs he might have in mind. But my dad is a retired military, Harley-Davidson riding, grizzled retiree who is about to see his last daughter be married. So no help there :P I figured I would try to find one that best describes our relationship with one another, which was challenging since so many father-daughter songs are very mushy, daddy's little girl, sweet child 'o mine type songs. I'm a tough girl too, so those type of songs are just not my style anyway.

Pick a song that is for you and your dad--don't worry about whether people will think it is too romantic and whatnot. Its about you and your dad :)
                                     Wedding Countdown Ticker

• YAY another Nightwish fan! New album next month!

I had also asked my dad for nay songs he might have in mind. But my dad is a retired military, Harley-Davidson riding, grizzled retiree who is about to see his last daughter be married. So no help there :P I figured I would try to find one that best describes our relationship with one another, which was challenging since so many father-daughter songs are very mushy, daddy's little girl, sweet child 'o mine type songs. I'm a tough girl too, so those type of songs are just not my style anyway.

Pick a song that is for you and your dad--don't worry about whether people will think it is too romantic and whatnot. Its about you and your dad :)
    :) My dad was super happy when I asked him to pick the song. I have a feeling that his wife will end up picking it though. Not because he's not into music, but because he defers to her on everything. It's cool though. If I hate the song for some reason I'll suggest the other one.

I'm so excited about the new album. I saw them play in Orlando two years ago and it was right after Annette left and Floor joined. I liked Annette, but Floor is cool too. I listen to Imaginaerum so much.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Oh I LOVE Floor. I saw her second or third show with them back in October 2013 when she had to step in after Anette left. They actually put together a mini-documentary called "Learn the Set List in 48 Hours", I think. There's a part where they are at the San Francisco show signing autographs and you can see my friends and I near the front of the line getting their autographs :P Anette has a beautiful voice, but Floor has better stage presence, and I think her voice is better suited for the Nightwish style of music. Their Showtime, Storytime live album is amazing.
                                     Wedding Countdown Ticker

• We aren't completely decided yet, but we are leaning towards:

-Processional: Instrumental version of "Something" OR "Here, there, and everywhere" by the Beatles - I'm torn on this one! 
    -Recessional: not sure, something upbeat I think?
    -Introductions: for the bridal party, "With a little help from my friends" probably the Joe Cocker version; for our parents, maybe "Teach your children" by Crosby Stills and Nash 
    -First Dance: probably "Thank you" by Led Zeppelin; other contenders are "Here there and everywhere" if we don't use it for the processional or "Unchained melody" by the Righteous Brothers 
    -Father/Daughter Dance: thinking about "Secret O Life" by James Taylor...this is definitely a tough one for me because of my relationship w/ my dad
    -Mother/Son Dance: fiance has to decide, but we talked about "Love you like a rock" by Paul Simon 
    Cake cutting: "Our house" by Crosby Stills and Nash, or maybe "When I'm 64" by the Beatles 

Music is very important to us both so we've spent a lot of time thinking about this and will probably spend a lot more time on the playlist. We still have to think about what type of music to have during cocktail hour, dinner, waiting time before ceremony, etc. 
  • Processional: Not sure yet but I really love the Over The Rainbow/What a Beautiful World song
    Recessional: "Sweet Child O Mine" by Guns and Roses
    First Dance: "Your Song" by Elton John
    Cake Cutting- "You're my Best Friend" by Queen

We are letting the parents pick the father/daughter and mother/son dance.

Still need to pick something for introductions.
  • Our First Dance: "Your Song" by Ellie Goulding
    Cak Cutting: "Grow Old With You" by Adam Sandler (the wedding singer)

We are now working on what our bridal party will be announced to and us also.

Our ceremony stuff hasnt been picked out yet with our church so I am waiting to meet with the priest.
  • We have a walkway around the top of the room that then goes to stairs I have to go down and then up the aisle from there so for the walkway I am doing "When You Wish Upon A Star" up until I meet my father and he starts walking me down the aisle which is when the bridal march will start.

Our first dance song is probably going to be "A Thousand Years" with maybe..MAYBE a surprise lip-syncing dance to "Love is An Open Door" as FI and I LOVE Disney and we are even doing our honeymoon there. It is a big thing for us and it fits us perfectly. It isn't set in stone yet though.

My Father-Daughter dance song is not 100% selected yet but I like "This Moment" (I danced with Cinderella) by Steven Curtis Chapman or "Daddy's Angel" and a couple more. I'm not sure yet though. I'm VERY partial to the Steven Curtis Chapman song but I want it to be a decision I make with my Dad.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards