Chit Chat
Options

Smush Face Dog Rescues

2»

Re: Smush Face Dog Rescues

• Options
    The reason I want a smush face (besides the cute factor) is just that they are good city dogs and are under the 25 lb limit for my building.  I can't do those little fluffy things, cute but not for me haha.  I am going to go look at the shelters too though!
    That was my exact reasoning for going with a weiner dog, ha. Small in stature, but not a little yipper.

I do love me some smooshies, though. There were a pair of gorgeous Frenchies that came to work on one of the floors of the building where I used to work. Sweetest, happiest dogs I ever had the pleasure of running into on an elevator. :)
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • Options
    Yay! That's so exciting. I bet you will be a great pet owner. I have no real advice since  I don't know any shelters and I've never had those breeds. My family dog was a maltese. They can be yippy but Tiger never was. He was a good cuddle dog but loved to play. I'm in love with beagles, boxers, and basset hounds so one of those breeds will be my next dog most likely. But I'm living through you right now!  AW when you finally get your dog friend! 
  • Options
    You're in NY right? 

I usually start with the AKC parent club (example: Pug Dog Club of America) then go to the state I want. For NY I see a link to the Pug Dog Club of Greater New York, and I'm guessing you have to contact the person to find a rescue. Or in NJ there is a listed Delaware Valley Pug Rescue: http://www.dvpr.org/

Wash, rinse, repeat for breed and state of choice. Pugs are common enough to where you may be able to find one at the local shelter as well. 

We tried to go private group before adopting our dog and it was a pain so start early if this is the route you want to go. When you are looking at a breed specific rescue you are usually dealing with a foster who needs to come over and do a home check. Some are super picky and won't let you have a dog without a fenced yard- which is kind of silly, because pugs/similar breeds are awesome apartment/city dogs. 

I wanted to go with a private rescue but I eventually got fed up with having such a hard time getting a hold of anyone and then went to the local ASPCA and got my doggie. I didn't have a super specific breed in mind though- thought I wanted "something small", ended up with a border collie. 
  • Options
    I found a great organization that fosters all sorts of dogs and I have a call with them this afternoon.  They have a puggle that is so freaking adorable and sounds like he would be a perfect city dog!

• Options
    edited February 2015

FiancB said:
    You're in NY right? 

I usually start with the AKC parent club (example: Pug Dog Club of America) then go to the state I want. For NY I see a link to the Pug Dog Club of Greater New York, and I'm guessing you have to contact the person to find a rescue. Or in NJ there is a listed Delaware Valley Pug Rescue: http://www.dvpr.org/

Wash, rinse, repeat for breed and state of choice. Pugs are common enough to where you may be able to find one at the local shelter as well. 

We tried to go private group before adopting our dog and it was a pain so start early if this is the route you want to go. When you are looking at a breed specific rescue you are usually dealing with a foster who needs to come over and do a home check. Some are super picky and won't let you have a dog without a fenced yard- which is kind of silly, because pugs/similar breeds are awesome apartment/city dogs. 

I wanted to go with a private rescue but I eventually got fed up with having such a hard time getting a hold of anyone and then went to the local ASPCA and got my doggie. I didn't have a super specific breed in mind though- thought I wanted "something small", ended up with a border collie. 
    That's the problem we had with the Yorkie rescue group.  They didn't like that we lived in an apartment.  Our apartment is 2 bedroom/2 bath/1,200 sq ft.  Not an ideal living situation for a German Shepard or a Lab but a 10lb dog?  Give me a break.  We live in a dog friendly development with plenty of routes for walking and a dog park for small breed dogs within a 5 minute drive.

ETA: Good Luck!  Can't wait to meet your furbaby!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

FiancB said:
    You're in NY right? 

That's the problem we had with the Yorkie rescue group.  They didn't like that we lived in an apartment.  Our apartment is 2 bedroom/2 bath/1,200 sq ft.  Not an ideal living situation for a German Shepard or a Lab but a 10lb dog?  Give me a break.  We live in a dog friendly development with plenty of routes for walking and a dog park for small breed dogs within a 5 minute drive.

ETA: Good Luck!  Can't wait to meet your furbaby!
    I hate when rescues do that.   Honestly, most large breed dogs need less than space than little dogs!  Large breeds are usually couch potatoes with less energy then little yippers.  

I have an 1100 square foot house, with a TINY backyard, and I have four of my own dogs, and most often, have a foster.  They are all usually on the couch or in my bed.  Great Danes, after they get out of puppy stage, are probably the best apartment dogs!  They are total lounge lizards!

My rescue adopts boxers to folks in apartments and condos.   I do agree with the home check and vet reference check.  You'd be surprised at some people, who are willing to pay a huge adoption fee, but never got their previous dog spayed or neutered, and neglected getting their shots done.   Or, I go to their house, and their backyard looks like a junkyard.  

I try to get back to all of my applicants within 1 week and try to do the home check within 2 weeks.  But, it doesn't always work out that way, since we are all volunteers with jobs and our own lives.   But, we do our best.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards