Wedding Reception Forum

Chair Covers?

I'm having my wedding at a hotel.  In our reception room are red banquet chairs.  I personally think they are ugly/don't match our theme and would like to use chair covers and sashes.  I have asked a few local rental companies about renting them and they are really expensive ($6/chair) and that does not include a service of putting them on and taking them off.  I think I'll be better off buying them and possibly trying to resell them after the wedding.  The question is does anyone know the cheapest way to do this?  I just started doing research on this, but don't know if there is someone that has looked into this already and what your findings were.  Thanks for comments!

Re: Chair Covers?

• I looked into chair covers too, and decided that they're chairs. People probably won't care if they're covered or not. We just want a place to sit down while we eat!

I've been to 2 of my cousins weddings at the same venue; one covered hers, the other didn't cover them. And to be honest I found that not even halfway through the night the cover started coming off which was slightly irritating. At the end of the day, they were great weddings with family and I wasn't dwelling on the chairs. 

If you don't have the money to rent them, maybe just leave it be? Get everything else done and continue researching. They are going to be around $6 each, and yes you'll have to put them on yourself, unless you find a company that will set up decor for you, and in that case it will most likely cost you more money. 

Alternatively, you could buy cheap pillow cases and cover just the backs (because when they're pushed into the tables that's really all anyone is going to see anyways) and tie them with ribbon or tulle or something. Tuck the top corners inside or pin them to the back, cover the secured part with a bow.
  • Save your money.  Nobody will notice.  The last 5 weddings I've been to, I couldn't tell you what the chairs looked like.
  • Another vote to skip them.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • No one will notice the chairs. We didn't have chair covers and I can't even remember what the chairs looked like at my OWN wedding, let alone someone else's. 

Run some numbers. How much would chair covers cost you in total - set up, tear down, per piece, and any other costs? Think about what you could do with that money. You could probably pay for your cake! 
    *********************************************************************************

• I'm surprised the hotel doesn't offer them directly (either themselves or through their preferred rental company), but I'd also skip them.

My catering manager was floored I didn't want them and lowered the price twice trying to convince me to rent the chair covers.  I was fine with the banquet chairs, and while the photos of my tables set up might have looked nicer with them, the ones in my album are the ceremony, the bridal party, the dance floor, etc, and seeing how infrequently a chair is even in my important photos I'm so glad I didn't waste the money.
  • larabelleb Very well. Please don't use red banquet chairs. Rental chair covers are expensive. I bought from cawraps.com they gave me just $2.30. When you use white chair covers with red chair sashes, it will make good vision for your event.
  • Your guests do not care about what your chairs look like.  All they care about is that they have a chair to sit in that has all four legs.

Once your room is decorated, the lights dimmed and everyone in their chair (with some being covered by ladies wraps and men's jackets) the chairs will just disappear.  

So save your money and use it on something that your guests will actually care about like food and booze.

• larabelleb Very well. Please don't use red banquet chairs. Rental chair covers are expensive. I bought from cawraps.com they gave me just $2.30. When you use white chair covers with red chair sashes, it will make good vision for your event.
    What.
  • ViczaesarViczaesar member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited July 2015
    justsie said:
    larabelleb Very well. Please don't use red banquet chairs. Rental chair covers are expensive. I bought from [redacted] they gave me just $2.30. When you use white chair covers with red chair sashes, it will make good vision for your event.
    What.
    Bumped a thread from February with strange choice of language to suggest a website - I'm calling vendor.

ETA: Looked at her other posts and yep, vendor.  @lyndausvi

• I'm definitely voting to skip the chair covers!  It's just another thing that you would need to worry about putting together before the wedding.  And to this day, I can't remember any of the chairs I sat during a reception...with the exception of the one where the chairs looked so dirty I took notice.  However, if you do feel like you must have chair covers, I bought sashes from this company, and received them fairly quickly.  I noticed that they had chair covers as well.

www.tablelinendirect.com

• Ugh. I have also been worried about this! The chairs at my venue are HIDEOUS. But it costs $6 a chair to get chair covers and they will not allow me to bring in any from outside. So I either pony up a lot of extra money or skip them. I know in the grand scheme of things, the chairs don't matter but they are REALLY ugly!
  • Ugh. I have also been worried about this! The chairs at my venue are HIDEOUS. But it costs $6 a chair to get chair covers and they will not allow me to bring in any from outside. So I either pony up a lot of extra money or skip them. I know in the grand scheme of things, the chairs don't matter but they are REALLY ugly!
    Who cares if they are ugly?   Are they COMFORTABLE?
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Eh.. I have to disagree. Chair covers or Chiavari chairs make a big difference. When I look at pictures of wedding with the banquet chairs, that's all I see. Especially if the colors and décor are light. I am doing blush pink, ivory and gold. Black clunky banquet chairs would look horrid, so we are renting gold Chiavari chairs. If you want to purchase chair covers, check out tableclothsfactory.com. We are purchasing our linens from them, and I have purchased from them before. Very reasonable prices.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

PitaPata Dog tickers
  • Eh.. I have to disagree. Chair covers or Chiavari chairs make a big difference. When I look at pictures of wedding with the banquet chairs, that's all I see. Especially if the colors and décor are light. I am doing blush pink, ivory and gold. Black clunky banquet chairs would look horrid, so we are renting gold Chiavari chairs. If you want to purchase chair covers, check out tableclothsfactory.com. We are purchasing our linens from them, and I have purchased from them before. Very reasonable prices.

But how many pictures of your wedding do you think will include the chairs?  I can tell you from experience that you may only have a handful.  The rest will be of you and your guests.

But of course venues are going to use fancy chairs in their promo photos on their websites for weddings.  They want those pictures to be pretty.  But those pictures aren't normal pictures that couples will actually have taken.  And as a guest I never once walked into a room and thought "Hm, if only they covered the chairs or upgraded to chiavari this wedding would have looked so much prettier."  In fact I don't think I have ever walked into a reception and even noticed the chairs.  I mean I noticed that there were chairs but what kind of chairs, not so much.  They certainly didn't impact the way I thought about the wedding.  As a guest I would prefer the couple use their money to upgrade the food or booze, not make their chairs pretty.

• I guess just preference, if the chairs are black banquet that is the first thing I notice. But again, everybody is different.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

PitaPata Dog tickers
  • I would be happy if they were just plain black but they have an ugly pattern at my venue!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards