Chit Chat

BSC Neighbors

You guys.

Sorry if this topic has been done before, but I am so over-the-moon excited, I might burst.  Our BSC downstairs neighbors finally moved out!  FI and I have a nice quiet house to ourselves (for the time being).  

FI and I had literally been living in noise-hell for the past 12 months.  We were above two adults, three boys, and 2 pitbulls (nothing against pits- I actually adored the dogs.  But they ran loose all over the property and poop was barely cleaned up).  Our days were literally full of: screaming, stomping, banging, running, yelling, cursing, you name it.

Sometime over the past year, the couple broke up, the guy left, and took one of the kids with him (??).  She then had her mom move in.  Kids and Grandma for some reason didn't get along- cue more yelling.  Come to find out, the guy who left was a wanted felon (robbery/burglary) and got picked up after giving his kids a STOLEN dirt bike as an Easter present.  Cue the po-po coming down our driveway and confiscating the dirt bike.

Several months later, she meets another convict (he had a loud voice, so we heard him bragging to her about his time in jail- how he would tell the guards "I'm going to f*ck your mothers when I get out of here"- classy).  Convict # 2 doesn't work out, cue more yelling and screaming for some weeks until he finally leaves.

I have so many more stories, but I'll spare you.  After the kids caused some damage to the house, the landlord finally evicted them (come to find out the first guy actually stole stuff around the house too!  Like tools and stuff.  Poor landlord).  We just also found out that before she left, she cranked the thermostat to 85 degrees downstairs, which effectively drained the heating oil as of last night.  We've had no heat for almost 24 hours, but that should be fixed shortly, thank goodness.  

I actually feel terrible for the kids (no solid male figures, men coming in and out of their life).  But I am so, so glad to have a quiet, harmonious home for now- this is our first place together!   

I am going home tonight and drinking all the wine.  Does anyone else have any BSC neighbor stories?   Lay 'em on me :)

Re: BSC Neighbors

• I have neighbors that spend every spare second on their yard.  When it rains, the dude takes out his leaf blower and BLOW DRIES HIS GRASS.

They also come over and knock on the door if you or your guests park in front of their house... on the public street. 

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• My brother and his wife had BSC neighbours in their first house.

My brother would be sitting on the deck with his wife, drinking a beer and chatting, at like 8pm. And the neighbours would call the cops on them for a 'noise complaint'

my brother eventually had to put privacy latticework on top of the fence because anytime they were outside the neighbours would come out on their back deck and stare at them. Or talk 'to themselves' about how awful my bro and SIL were as people. The cops eventually got so sick of noise complaints from these people that they actually asked my Brother if he wanted to charge them with harrasement.

My brother and his wife actually ended up moving because they couldn't handle it anymore.

• Not too bad, but when I lived in Tampa I rented a room in a condo complex that had a lot of college students, on account of the fact that it was across the street from a large university. The condo next to ours was rented out by a bunch of college students who would sometimes host large parties on Thursday nights, since many college students don't have classes on Fridays. Us old ladies living there had work though, so it was not very fun to be trying to sleep while they were drinking and screaming their heads off. One night I had enough and finally went outside to tell them to keep it down. The boy hosting the party looked at me with this blank expression and said, "Oh, well, you can come over and join us if you want."

Yes, because a disgruntled woman in her pajamas at 12 am is asking you to be quiet because she has work in the morning, and the only explanation is that she is jealous she wasn't invited. Ugh.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Oh how awful. 

The worst we've had was a neighbor next to my mom who had a dog that they never paid attention to. The dog just sat in the backyard in a fenced off area doing nothing. They never walked it or brought it inside or played with it. They would just go out there to feed it. The even ran a hose up to the fence into a bowl so they could just turn the water on and fill it up without going out there. It was awful, but they weren't technically abusing the animal so we couldn't do anything. Then they got a lab puppy and did the same thing to it. The poor thing barked all night because it was so bored and lonely. My mom tried to feed and play with them when she could. 

I hated those people and really wanted to dognap their pups.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Right now, we live in a development with a bunch of little townhouses and shared yard space. Nothing too crazy, but there are landmines of dog poop all over the place. Particularly around a few houses. They have massive dogs that crank out that poop like I've never seen. I do love watching the dogs run around and play, but I can't help but think of them as poop machines compared to my little 7 pound cat, who produces very little poop in comparison. If the owners cleaned up the poop - no problem! But they don't. The homeowners' association (it was a spur of the moment decision of mine to be on the board) spends hours discussing this at meetings. I just don't understand why people can't clean up their dog's poop when they made the decision to get a dog knowing that it was going to poop. Apparently, a couple years ago, the poop drama was intense enough that people who actually clean up their own dog's poop were taking secret videos of other dog owners NOT cleaning up their dog's poop. So much poop drama. I will just go clean my cat's litterbox now.
  • I had a neighbor who enjoyed really loud sex. How does one actually complain about that? 'Um, i'm sorry but your screaming wakes me up and then makes it impossible to go back to sleep. Please stop having sex in your own apt.' So, I ignored it. One day I had a friend and her mom over and we made dinner and watched a movie. The neighbors started at it, and my friend's mom just turned bright red and kept glancing at the ceiling before asking if that's really what she heard. Um. Yep. The fun of paper thin walls in a big city. Ah well. I moved out shortly after that, really happy I could finally get some sleep!
    "There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness." -Friedrich Nietzsche, "On Reading and Writing"
  • In the past 16 months I have heard my upstairs neighbour kick 2 people out of his apartment early in the morning on a weekend (screaming and yelling, I assume these were relationships or love interests gone sour), and have listened to him have visitors who wanted to party every. fucking. night. for a whole week in the summer. Like stomping and jumping around and out on the balcony screaming pop songs at 3 AM on a weeknight. Luckily my building has a concierge that I could call to complain and he went and dealt with them.

This same neighbour also drops something on the floor 3 - 4 times a week, usually around the same time in the evening. I have no idea what he's dropping. It doesn't sound super heavy, just heavy enough to make a noise. I actually am really tempted to go upstairs and ask him what it is.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• We live in a big condo building mostly full of seniors, and it's got concrete walls so we never hear so much as a footstep in our unit (not like any of them make any noise anyway). It is also incredibly well-maintained thanks to so many conscientious retirees with spare time on the condo board. I love our building, but some of our neighbours are definitely BSC.

One old lady asked me to help her unzip her dress in the elevator on her way home from synagogue, then got out and walked down the hall, dress flapping away behind her.

Another one turned up at our door one Halloween with a grocery bag full of random food items, calling "Trick or treat!" I gave her a couple granola bars and told her I liked her costume.

There's an old guy who just stands at the door to the gym and watches me on the treadmill sometimes...barf. Just standing there, silently, watching. I wear FI's tee shirts over my running tanks now.

And there's a little group who hang out all day, every day by the pool as long as it's open for the season, turning slowly more and more into mahogany leather. SO OLD. SO TANNED AND LEATHERY. I call them the Sea Turtles.

Finally, we constantly get annoyed elderly neighbours berating us for driving too fast in the parkade, lol. "Too fast" is about 10 km/h, of course.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • At my old house, I went through 3 sets of neighbors in the place next door.  First round NEVER mowed their grass, but they were home all the time and were pleasant, so I figured they would keep an eye on my place for me at any given time.  They got foreclosed on, then the cutest like 75-year old man bought the place, and he completely reno'd it - it looked so nice and he took great care of it. 

Unfortunately the maintenance was more than he wanted, so he sold it, and the assholes moved in.  Parked in the grass in the front yard, had people in and out 24/7...then then last January, I was home on a Saturday, and thought I smelled burning - like electrical.  I got up to go sniff around my kitchen, and half my yard was on fire.  yep - one of the assholes they let stay there, I guess they told him to get out, and he retaliated by setting a bunch of their clothes on fire in the backyard, then left.  it was about 12 inches from my deck and burning my house down.  I called the fire department, but by the time they got there, the debris I'd reported multiple times to the city on the side of their house went up like a match and melted all my siding on my garage and burned the whole side of their house.  They abandoned it.  it still has a tarp stapled up on the side, 13 months later.  I thank God every day that I still found people to buy my house and I got the heck outta Dodge. 

• When we first moved in to our current home our neighbor was renting a room to two tweakers. Our neighbor is great and we love her to pieces, but her tenants were the neighbors from hell. They came up to our house one day while we were at work to "borrow" an axe. Didn't ask, probably wouldn't even have told us if something hadn't happened. They brought their dig with them who decided our brand new 8 week old cat was an acceptable chew toy. He swung her hand enough by her back leg that it broke badly, two vets suggested amputation before we finally found one who was able to save it. They tried blaming us since if she was inside like cats should be it would never have happened.

We made it very clear that they were never to come up to our house ever again, but that didn't stop them. We came home one day and our dog was running down the street. At the time we had one of those invisible fences since our yard isn't fenced in. We caught our dog got home and realized they had cut down two trees on our property to sell as fire wood and in the process snapped the wire for the invisible fence.

Our neighbor finally kicked them out after we called to let her know that we found one of them lurking around on our back deck looking thorugh windows late one night. Most of the lights were off, but FI and I were still up talking and saw her peeking into our bedroom window.

• Ummm wow these stories are pretty bad. My seems super lame in comparison.

We lived in a 3 story/12 unit apartment building for a few years. When we first moved in most of the tenants were from Africa. Super nice, but could barely understand them. The great part was we never had to turn our heat on as many tenants  - specifically the one below us cranked his so high it kept our apartment warm too!

After almost 18months of living there he moves out and a couple moves in. Within 3 days I find a note on my door one morning from the new neighbor below us. Basically telling us we are too loud and comments on "incessant pounding well into the night"

I was surprised by this as our previous neighbor never said anything, and who's this new guy that starts leaving notes on doors when they haven't even lived there a week.

I wrote him back in the most passive aggressive letter ever basically explaining it's a cheap building and there is nothing I can do about (and specifically explaining the "incessant pounding well into the night" was likely my 20lb cats playing as they are nocturnal. 

In the same time frame the neighbors next door to us had 2 younger kids and the dad screamed at them all the time. Then a few times he punished the son by locking him out of the apartment into the hallway. The little boy (4-5 maybe?) would just stand in the hallway bawling his eyes out begging to be let back it. It really disturbed me and I wasn't sure If I was supposed to call the police over it. I mean yea he was still in the building but I questioned taking him in a few times because I don't really know the other people here... just seemed F'd up. And the psychological damage. When you are bad and are sent to your room you at least till feel safe, but to be punished by being forced to leave your home... again seems F'ed up.

Anniversary
  • Soontobesyp, I feel horrible for those kids. I hope their living situation improves and that they have a good support team outside of the home at school or friend's house or spiritual community. :(

I shouldn't really complain about our neighbors, because at least we don't have housemates anymore. But we have renamed our downstairs neighbor "Screechy," so...

Then happy I, that love and am beloved 
    Where I may not remove nor be removed.

--William Shakespeare (Sonnet 25)

• amelisha said:

Another one turned up at our door one Halloween with a grocery bag full of random food items, calling "Trick or treat!" I gave her a couple granola bars and told her I liked her costume.

@amelisha

did she actually have on a costume??

• kvruns said:
    amelisha said:

@amelisha

Nope, just a grocery bag full of fruit and a couple cans of soup and a Diet Coke. I wasn't going to ask questions.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • amelisha said:
    kvruns said:
    amelisha said:

@amelisha

Nope, just a grocery bag full of fruit and a couple cans of soup and a Diet Coke. I wasn't going to ask questions.
    well you said something about telling her she had a nice costume so I wasn't sure if it was real or sarcastic haha
  • My BF lives in an apartment building and the lady downstairs from his is odd. We've only had one interaction with her but it stuck with us.

We were attempting to walk the kitten on a leash outside, but he wasn't having it. We claim the little guy is agoraphobic, but we keep trying to see if that changes. We had him outside for about fifteen minutes and he was done. I had picked him up and was carrying him back to the apartment. She was on her patio and being friendly, we waved. She looked at us and him and said "I am terrified of cats."

We were taken aback, but said, "He's on a leash." And all she replied was "I am terrified of cats."

We went back inside his apartment and started cracking up that she was "terrified" of this small black kitten who wanted nothing more than to go back inside. Now we just joke about how terrifying he is.
  • kvruns said:
    amelisha said:
    kvruns said:
    amelisha said:

@amelisha

well you said something about telling her she had a nice costume so I wasn't sure if it was real or sarcastic haha
    I said it, but I totally didn't intend sarcasm. I just didn't know what else to tell the elderly woman at my door croaking "trick or treat!", haha.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Living with my BFF was difficult because her neighbors would smoke weed and beat their children all day.  It was terrible and heartbreaking.  We called a few times, but nothing seemed to happen with it (side note: I don't think there's anything wrong with smoking, but if you're doing it constantly around your young children and your eight year old starts smoking it too, you're being a shitty parent).

I lived in one other place where I had roommate problems.  My one roommate and I were confused for awhile because our landlady kept yelling at us about the dumbest things.  Dishes left out, laundry done during certain hours, the alarm to the house not being set, flushing the toilet at night, etc. Our landlady would leave all of these passive aggressive notes on our door.  Finally I got fed up and confronted my roommate about it.  She hadn't been doing any of the things either and she was about to confront me.  Finally we realized that it was our other roommate, Gary, who lived in the  room next to us.  When we moved in he figured that he had a few weeks of "get out of jail free" fuckery.  So he was doing all of these things and then pinning it on us.  Fuck you, Gary. 

• There must be a thing about NJ and terrible house apartments. We move to VA next weekend to a huge, quiet apartment and i could NOT be more excited!

We currently live on the 2nd floor of a house split into 3 apartments.  The previous downstairs tenants had two little girls who would cry, scream and stomp all hours, ooof. When they finally left we got a new couple down stairs and they are pretty flipping annoying. Right after they moved in we had a snow. The snowplow came and cleared most of the parking area, but not the cars (obviously). I shoveled out my little car and we't to work the next day, when I came home my nice clean spot was parked in. Clearly clearing your own spot is too hard. Aside from that they are incredibly loud and blast surround sound all the time, yell, scream, stomp, slam and always with the taking cleared out spots. 

The third floor tenant is hit or miss. A lot of the time she isn't there. When she is though she often comes in super late (2 am) and I usually wake up to her apartment door slamming and high heels on the wooden stairs, and every once in a while a stereo blasting.

Really, its been a noise sandwich, i'll be so glad to be out of the noise sandwich.

I don't post much, but I love a good neighbor rant.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I've talked about this before and in more detail but I think my old neighbors were a cult. They would stand outside in a circle chanting and passing a cup around, they had a zillion kids that they "home schooled" aka let run around outside all the time, and fed opposums. They wanted to buy all the houses on the block and move more of their people in. Last I head they did manage to buy four houses on the block (ours included, they made the best offer).
  • I lived in a student apartment my first year back in school.  I shared a bathroom with a random roommate chosen by the complex.

She was horrible in general, but the last straw was finding my hairbrush on her sink instead of in my drawer.  

*horrified*
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• This is not horrible, just funny... In our building we have one of those really old elevators with a door you have to pull to open AND a metal grate... if you don't slowly close either one they SLAM so loudly, and you can hear them throughout the floor and sometimes the floor above or below.

Anyway last night I heard one of my neighbors go into the elevator and slam both doors... which isn't unheard of. If you have full hands or just don't give a shit about noise it's impossible not to. but when he came back up a few minutes later he slammed both of them again... stomped down the hallway, opened his apartment door and slammed it... and then opened and slammed it again.

Literally all I could picture while this was going on was a tiny toddler having a temper tantrum.. I don't know who he was mad at but it was ridiculous.

On the horrible front though, last summer some neighbors moved into a house next to my parents and proceeded to build a stage and have "concerts" there every weekend.. basically them screeching into a microphone and playing electric guitars.
  • jdluvr06 said:
    I've talked about this before and in more detail but I think my old neighbors were a cult. They would stand outside in a circle chanting and passing a cup around, they had a zillion kids that they "home schooled" aka let run around outside all the time, and fed opposums. They wanted to buy all the houses on the block and move more of their people in. Last I head they did manage to buy four houses on the block (ours included, they made the best offer).
    Wait... wut.  The kids fed the possums?  Or the kids ate the possums?  Eek!
  • Our next door neighbours alarm clock go off at 6:30 am. That's grand BUT they dont turn it off! Even on a saturday morning. Some mornings im not sure if the neighbours are even home.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • jdluvr06 said:
    I've talked about this before and in more detail but I think my old neighbors were a cult. They would stand outside in a circle chanting and passing a cup around, they had a zillion kids that they "home schooled" aka let run around outside all the time, and fed opposums. They wanted to buy all the houses on the block and move more of their people in. Last I head they did manage to buy four houses on the block (ours included, they made the best offer).
    Wait... wut.  The kids fed the possums?  Or the kids ate the possums?  Eek!

They fed the opposums. They would leave out dishes of food for them. I get that they were trying to be nice but the opposums stopped being cautious of people started getting into houses.
  • I live directly above a teen center- need I explain further?  I still think Novella wins this one with the frat boy neighbors who would serenade her.
  • I had a neighbor who enjoyed really loud sex. How does one actually complain about that? 'Um, i'm sorry but your screaming wakes me up and then makes it impossible to go back to sleep. Please stop having sex in your own apt.' So, I ignored it. One day I had a friend and her mom over and we made dinner and watched a movie. The neighbors started at it, and my friend's mom just turned bright red and kept glancing at the ceiling before asking if that's really what she heard. Um. Yep. The fun of paper thin walls in a big city. Ah well. I moved out shortly after that, really happy I could finally get some sleep!
    I've been here too!  Except mine would start at crazy hours like 3am. ugh... I'm getting mad thinking about all the sleep I lost back then!
  • edited June 2015
  • We lived in the bottom of a duplex and I swear our upstairs neighbours (a couple) hated each other. They would yell at each other all the time, including outside our windows at night, about how he was cheating on her, no she was cheating on him, no he was the one cheating on her. The guy told DH he had a criminal record but didn't say what for. He was very interested in my new car, asking a lot of very specific, unusual questions. We moved out the day after I got it, and I'm sure if we kept living there the car would have been stolen.

Our new place is on the top floor of a condo building. The downstairs neighbour called building security almost weekly to make noise complaints about use. Several times either we weren't home (so our cat must be super noisy running around on a 75% carpet floor) or I was sitting on the couch reading. It got to the point that he would complain that I ran the washer mid-afternoon. Building security finally told him that they weren't going to investigate any more noise complaints from him and that if he had any further "noise" issues with us he would have to call the police.

Anniversary
  • Our old place was the basement of a house, but the basement was split into two apartments.  The person that had the back of the house was pretty quiet, our apartment was the front of the house basement.  When she moved out a young mom and her 3 to 4 year old moved in.  He screamed all. day. long.  She would just yell at him, never took him outside, and just yelled if he did anything "wrong" and sent him to his room. Unfortunately the bedrooms shared the wall that split the apartments so sometimes his screaming would wake us up if it was very late or very early.

I was to the point of wanting to call the police or child protective services but didn't know what to do. We ended up moving not too long after she moved in anyway, and I was so glad to get out of there.  Her boyfriend ended up living with them too before we left so it was just another one to verbally abuse this poor kid.

We currently live with my BIL and his gf (they live upstairs in the house, we live in the basement) but we are moving out at the end of April.  I can't wait to have our own space. Our places are entirely separate but I don't like being able to have him drop in at any given moment, or having to listen to them fight.  There are a lot of issues with our place that have never been fixed since the landlord for the house is impossible to ever reach, and BIL just doesn't care to fix a lot of small things.  For example, our fridge died a year and a half ago and we all moved the new one in, but the old one was never taken out.  I've asked for 18 freaking months for him to help me move it (H has dislocated his shoulder before so I don't want him doing it alone) and he never does.  GAH.
    image Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards