Chit Chat
Options

BM gifts

(Is BM the same for Brides Maid and Best Man? Why am I just realizing this now?)

So FI is thinking of what to get his BM for a gift after the wedding. It's a whiles away, but he's just pondering now.

How did your FI/DH decide what to get their BM? FI and his BM don't normally exchange gifts, just are best friends that don't expect gifts normally, so this is pretty new for him to think about. I suggested a nice bottle of alcohol, like a nice brand of whiskey or Costco size bottles of something since he enjoys a good drink.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 
Funny Awkward animated GIF

Re: BM gifts

• Options
    If he knows the guy likes a good drink, a bottle of something makes a nice gift. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    FI is going to get his pocketwatches.  I don't know how much any of them will use a pocketwatch, but he likes the idea.

• Options
    blabla89blabla89 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited February 2015
    FI was going to "gift" his attendants a shirt and tie to wear for the wedding, and when I delicately tried to explain that a gift that's more personal, like a birthday gift, is better, FI got snippy and told me guys don't usually buy birthday gifts for each other. I think he finally came around and picked out a bottle of high-end whiskey instead. So if that's something the BM is into, then go for it.

ETA: But if your BM isn't crazy about whiskey, then pick a nice bottle of a drink he actually loves.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    When I suggest a nice bottle, he said he feels like he should get him something more than just that. "Something he can actually use." It made me thinking about how men give each other gifts. I always have a hard time getting gifts for people, so it's funny to watch FI really think about what the best gift is for being his BM in his wedding. 
  • Options
    FI and his BM always exchange a nice bottle of whiskey for birthdays. So for the wedding, FI is gifting him a REALLY nice whiskey, along with a leather-wrapped flask (apparently dude has said he wants one) and I forget what else. 
  • Options
    I like the booze idea, as long as his BM isn't from OOT. Bringing a bottle of liquor on a plane would be a pain in the ass! Damn you, TSA.
    --

• Options
    hsgator said:
    I like the booze idea, as long as his BM isn't from OOT. Bringing a bottle of liquor on a plane would be a pain in the ass! Damn you, TSA.
    Hah oh no, he lives in the town over from FI. That won't be an issue. I think he feels like it should be more personalized than that, but BM loves alcohol, so it's a good gift. 
  • Options
    MadHops21 said:
    hsgator said:
    Hah oh no, he lives in the town over from FI. That won't be an issue. I think he feels like it should be more personalized than that, but BM loves alcohol, so it's a good gift. 
    I'm having this exact problem. One of my BM's is a big vodka girl. So the easiest thing to get her is a nice bottle of vodka. But I don't feel like it's putting in a lot of effort. So I'm struggling between the thing I know she'll use and the an idea that seems more personal. Perhaps I should just give it up and get her the thing she'll love and something cute that makes it feel more personal.
  • Options
    anjemon said:
    MadHops21 said:
    hsgator said:
    I'm having this exact problem. One of my BM's is a big vodka girl. So the easiest thing to get her is a nice bottle of vodka. But I don't feel like it's putting in a lot of effort. So I'm struggling between the thing I know she'll use and the an idea that seems more personal. Perhaps I should just give it up and get her the thing she'll love and something cute that makes it feel more personal.
    Maybe a koozie with the wedding date? But then again, how often do people use koozies? Just seems like an easy out. 
  • Options
    anjemon said:
    MadHops21 said:
    hsgator said:
    I'm a big vodka girl, and I would be THRILLED to get a nice bottle as a gift. And to me, it would be personal, because not everyone in the world knows how much I love vodka (everyone on TK, maybe, but not too many people IRL) so that could actually be a really good gift for her, just IMO. 
  • Options
    DH got each of his GMs a nice Invicta watch. They all seemed to really like them. 

Yes, all the gifts were identical. No, I did not fight him on it. I didn't really care what he got his GMs as long as he got them something and spent around what I spent on my BMs. 
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    anjemon said:
    MadHops21 said:
    hsgator said:
    I'm a big vodka girl, and I would be THRILLED to get a nice bottle as a gift. And to me, it would be personal, because not everyone in the world knows how much I love vodka (everyone on TK, maybe, but not too many people IRL) so that could actually be a really good gift for her, just IMO. 
    So what's your favorite brand of vodka? Or what you'd be most excited to get as a gift? I'm a rum girl myself so I never know what's good.
  • Options
    anjemon said:
    anjemon said:
    MadHops21 said:
    hsgator said:
    So what's your favorite brand of vodka? Or what you'd be most excited to get as a gift? I'm a rum girl myself so I never know what's good.
    My favorite "every day" vodka is Stoli. If I want to get a little fancy, I like Kettle One. Personally I hate Grey Goose because it's made from grapes. 

Recently I got a Russian vodka from the liquor store (only about $20 so nothing crazy) that's hard to find anywhere else and I loved it. Can't tell you the name of it because the label was in Russian lol but that's the kind of stuff I like as a gift; small batch or rare ones. They don't necessarily need to be expensive at all. 

If she's the type of vodka drinker that appreciates ingredients, Chopin is the only main-stream vodka I know of that's still made from potatoes and it is extremely delicious and smooth. It's a little pricier (I think around $30) but to me, that's more of a special vodka. 
  • Options
    I asked FI if he thought of gifts for his GM and he said "I have to get them gifts?!" 

So yea. I suggested getting them a few nice bottles, or tickets to a sporting event. 
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• Options
    Our guys got
    1) monogrammed poker chip set
    2) a book written by a groomsman's favorite baseball player and a sign with that player's quote
    3) bottle of whiskey and a monogrammed decanter
    4) cool beer glasses and a case of various craft beers
  • Options
    pinkcow13 said:
    I asked FI if he thought of gifts for his GM and he said "I have to get them gifts?!" 

So yea. I suggested getting them a few nice bottles, or tickets to a sporting event. 
    When I first asked FI this question, his response was "matching flasks." Ugh. One or two of the guys would genuinely like and use such a gift. The others... maybe not so much. And obviously the matching stuff is never too great. I've very gently suggested some other ideas to him and also asked if he thought EVERY guy would really like a flask, so he has since re-thought it and chose other stuff. 
  • Options
    mlg78 said:
    Our guys got 1) monogrammed poker chip set 2) a book written by a groomsman's favorite baseball player and a sign with that player's quote 3) bottle of whiskey and a monogrammed decanter 4) cool beer glasses and a case of various craft beers
    This actually sounds pretty neat. FI's BM isn't much of a reader (he was in the army and loves his body- aka body building stuff) so I'm thinking he can tailor it to something he can use during work outs, like nice head phones. And beer. 
  • Options

We went the route of booze for the men, too, but the GOOD booze.  I had a lot of fun with the girl in the liquor store.  I gave her a price point per person, and she showed me some options.  My brother just texted me the other day and said that the rum we gave him is 'delightful', and he enjoys 'a wee taste for special occasions'.  The kid is 20 and hilarious.  J's brother says he has a religious experience every time he drinks his.

**The OMH formerly known as jsangel1018**
  • Options
    mrscomposer That's pretty hilarious. Which is why I'm thinking it's the beset route for him. I guess we will see what FI decides in a year, but I'll tell him what you ladies said your men did! We have been to...2 weddings, so we have no clue when it comes to BP gifts. 
  • Options
    FI is getting each of his BMs a gift card to a restaurant they like
  • Options

MadHops21 said:
    mlg78 said:
    Our guys got 1) monogrammed poker chip set 2) a book written by a groomsman's favorite baseball player and a sign with that player's quote 3) bottle of whiskey and a monogrammed decanter 4) cool beer glasses and a case of various craft beers
    This actually sounds pretty neat. FI's BM isn't much of a reader (he was in the army and loves his body- aka body building stuff) so I'm thinking he can tailor it to something he can use during work outs, like nice head phones. And beer. 
    Just a suggestion for really nice head phones - BlueBuds. They're wireless and super neat. I got them for FI for Christmas and he is in love with them - says they are perfect for working out!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    tcnoble said:

MadHops21 said:
    mlg78 said:
    Just a suggestion for really nice head phones - BlueBuds. They're wireless and super neat. I got them for FI for Christmas and he is in love with them - says they are perfect for working out!
    I keep seeing ads for bluetooth headphones. I want them so bad. I always tuck the chord into my sleeve, around my bra strap, then up my collar so I don't have a swinging string while running. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards