Getting in Shape

I got lazy and time is running out

GApeachesGApeaches member
First Anniversary First Comment
edited February 2015 in Getting in Shape
When I got engaged 2 years ago, I was so motivated to work out and eat more healthy. I lost 15 pounds and felt confident. In my last semester of school, I was struggling and fell out of my good habits. Now there are 2.5 months until my wedding and I am feeling worried. I'd feel better if I lost like 8-10 pounds before the big day, but am I out of time? I'm not good at losing weight in a hurry, and my current routine (running about 2 miles &doing some abs&arm exercises) doesn't seem to be doing much over the past few months. Help help help??

Re: I got lazy and time is running out

• What are you eating?  That's the first thing to start focusing on while continuing your exercising.  Cut out sugar as much as you can, and then cut down your intake of white starchy and grain stuff (white bread, pasta, grain cereal, etc).  Stick to your greens/veggies, lean meats and fruits as much as possible.  And my goal everyday is to drink at least 2 liters of water. 

Also, switch up your cardio a bit.  Do you have a gym?  If not, do you have Youtube?  I highly recommend looking up exercises there to just break up the monotony--- your body is going to get use to the same exercise and thus, become efficient with how it stores the calories. 

I'm in the same boat as you... wedding's at the end of April and I'd love to lose a good 8 more pounds by then.  I was 5 pound heavier just 3 weeks ago but when I cut out certain things in my diet (no wine, no coffee with cream, no additional nut butters in shakes) I started to notice a difference. 

Hang in there!

• Yeah, weight loss is 90% diet. Have you joined a site like My Fitness Pal to track your calories? That's going to make a much bigger difference than any exercise, especially now.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'd stay don't stress yourself out. Rapid weight loss isn't healthy, however you go about accomplishing it. Love yourself as you are right now and you will be STUNNING on your wedding day! No one other than you is going to notice the difference that 8-10 lbs makes.
  • I totally concur with @redheadbride15... love yourself no matter where you are in your fitness journey.  I honestly hope my post didn't come across as the opposite.  I was just very "just facts ma'am."  I'm not going to be disappointed in myself if I don't lose the final 8 pounds because I know I'll be looking fit regardless because of the work I'm doing already and the healthy eating I've been doing.  The number on the scale is basically just that.  So--- no starving yourself and no staying in the gym for hours on end everyday.  :)  Treat yourself good and enjoy your day!  :)

• I agree with everything the PP's have said on diet. You have to get that in order. It's not easy, but there are tons of apps to help you out!

As for working out I'd highly recommend joining a kickboxing full body fast paced kind of work out class. A lot of them are 8 week programs and I've heard stories that people see ridiculous results in that short amount of time. Find a friend to go with to keep you honest.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I agree with everyone else.  Get the diet in check.  My Fitness Pal is a great resource and many of us use it.  There is a thread on top with everyone's MFP names, feel free to add yours!

Next comes the exercise.  Youtube and your local cable providers are great resources.  If you happen to have an Xbox One, they also have videos you can use.  If you belong to a gym, take advantage of it.
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks for the advice :) I am one of those people who doesn't overeat, but I also don't eat the healthiest foods all the time. I'm not a salad girl, that's for sure...&If I get one, there's ranch on it. I just downloaded the My Fitness Pal app you suggested, so hopefully that keeps me in check! I know I should just love myself how I am, but I also have to fit into my dress! It is a mermaid, so that thing is TIGHT! Gotta zip. It zipped last time I tried it on, so... I just want it to stay that way.
  • arrrghmateyarrrghmatey member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited February 2015
    Weight loss consists of 80% diet and 20% exercise, so yes, get your diet in check. You may have also hit a plateau in your exercise and need to mix it up a bit.

I've heard great things about 21 Day Fix, which really focuses on eating habits and throws in some good 30 minute exercise routines each day. Might be something worth checking in to.
                                     Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I actually just finished my first round of 21 day fix, it was crazy easy to follow (physically that is, mentally....my will power needs a workout). Eating plan is great, don't be scared when you first see the containers like I was. They are small but you eat them multiple times a day. I've gotten to the point where I can eyeball most of it so I'm not washing containers all the time. Workouts were GREAT. Quick, hard enough to get a sweat but I wasn't useless after them, minimal equipment. I think I lost about 15 lbs over the 21 days but my stomach- OMG my stomach saw the biggest difference. Didn't realized how bloated my old diet had me. 

Sorry If I sound like an infomercial. I'm starting my second round tomorrow so clearly I liked it. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards