Wedding Invitations & Paper
Options

Addressing Invites

My mom's friend separated from her husband years ago; however, they never divorced for financial reasons.   How do I address her invite?

Is she Mrs. Jane Smith or Ms. Jane Smith?

Re: Addressing Invites

• Options
    my guess would be Ms. 

Even if she is still technically Mrs.... try to figure out what she would prefer. If she doesn't associate with her husband, and no longer sees herself as part of a social unit with him, then I doubt she'd want to be called Mrs., but you (or your mom) knows her better. 

• Options
    CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2015
    Either one is fine.  She might have a preference, though.  Technically, she is still Mrs. John Smith, but I doubt she would like that.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    LtPowersLtPowers member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper First Answer
    edited February 2015
    CMGragain said:
    Either one is fine.  She might have a preference, though.  Technically, she is still Mrs. John Smith, but I doubt she would like that.
    I'm not sure she is still Mrs. John Smith, even technically. Socially, a permanent separation such as this ought to be considered equivalent to divorce, wouldn't you think? "Mrs. John Smith" by itself would imply a widow, anyway.

The traditional form for a divorced lady is "Mrs. Jane Smith", but many women have other preferences; the only way to be sure is to ask.

• Options
    LtPowers said:
    CMGragain said:
    I'm not sure she is still Mrs. John Smith, even technically. Socially, a permanent separation such as this ought to be considered equivalent to divorce, wouldn't you think? "Mrs. John Smith" by itself would imply a widow, anyway.

The traditional form for a divorced lady is "Mrs. Jane Smith", but many women have other preferences; the only way to be sure is to ask.
    I can't believe it, but I agree with you here.
    *********************************************************************************

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards